Madagascan Sativa test while isolated

Thanks @DiggySoze , that makes perfect sense now you mention it , lets see how these babies do at High elevation in crappy weather … turning in to an extreme testing ground :slight_smile:

6 Likes

No,Zebu(Bos Indicus) is a domestic south asian (humped)cattle,not a cross :wink:

4 Likes

Finally finished with sorting

16 Likes

Well said Diggy. I’ll add nothing.:face_with_thermometer:

2 Likes

Well @ livingthedream it appears isolation has turned you into a strainhunter! Nice amount of seeds! all of your Sprouts have nice narrow leaves on them. I hope enough survive so we can see what they start to look like as a mature vegetative plant. I have similar strategy for seeds that don’t germinate. They will be planted into the garden in hopes that they will germinate eventually. Something forgotten usually comes up. How many different times have you scored some smoke down there? Running into anything that isn’t nasty-tasting yet? I’m sure most of the stuff you’re getting is over a year old and poorly stored… I bet the fresh local weed well cured would be wonderful. Good luck transplanting those Sprouts!. I hope they fare well. I’m really enjoying this thread. Be safe!

4 Likes

Strainhunter , I could only wish mate
Gotten hold of the local stuff twice ,the second time the buds where definitely not as old …the 1st go round was all stems n seed and just turned to powder really , I would love to get my hands on some recent harvest for sure ,you are spot on with the storage after harvesting over here . I believe a lot is compressed into bricks for transport n such , the last lot was from a guy’s personal stash I am told - still had that green damp smell to it with just a smidge of sticky thrown in
I hope we get another 5 or 6 weeks of good growth before the weather really changes Here. I am also curious to see a glimmer of its potential . Who knows it may even keep growing in crappy temps and constant mist … now that would really be something hey lol

3 Likes

If that Madagascar keeps growing through cooler overcast crappy weather it would love my area lol! Yours too if memory serves . I bet it will surprise. Speaking of wet crappy weather , Coco genes is selling a strain called khasi Hills . It’s from Meghalaya aka shillong. Supposedly one of the wettest regions or the wettest region on Earth and it has no dry season. The buds are actually tight on this one and very resiny.( their description.) So much so it is used for making hash at times …12-15 weeks flowering. you get any lemon smells from that fresher weed? Some flavor? Have you asked this local guy what his favorite local weed is?

2 Likes

I looked a bit closer at the seeds and noticed that some are dark with some tiger stripes and some of them are a lighter tan with little to no marking. Do you think these came from the separate batches, or were they mixed like that in each batch? Doesn’t look like age alone is the difference…

Hi @Upstate, that last batch had a slight citrus/pepper scent that was mostly masked due to how it had been stored , TBH I don’t think they put a lot of thought or effort into drying and curing properly over here , look there will be guys who put in the extra effort in drying it correctly , but I think its safe to assume that these people are not in the wholesale department, Flavor wise , surprisingly it didn’t induce coughing fits , don’t get me wrong its certainly very sharp/bitter on inhale but yet again the way its been dealt with I believe impacts the flavor profile - very different to what I expected and really hard to describe in fact . The seeds all came from that last batch , all very uniform buds , I did read that viable wild Sativa seeds often present with a light brown coloring , so I kept a good representation of both light and dark , you never know where the gold will be hidden
My local friend… well he doesn’t smoke it at all , he gets it off a friend of a friend ,we spoke yesterday and he is trying to get some more of " Tena Tsara " Malagasy for very good to me in the next day or so
maybe be more problematic due to site restrictions … but I can borrow a drone ,and black ops it in maybe lol

5 Likes

Weather forecast - 9 days of Rain and mist , took a couple of photos from around the place - trees included :wink:
IMG_1407
IMG_1410
IMG_1412
IMG_1411
IMG_1409

20 Likes

I just looked up the climate in central Madagascar. It does get surprisingly cold there. 5.5 celcius, or about 43 Fahrenheit. Not cold enough to damage the plants, but they may not like it much! That’s another good quality ( some cold resistance) that may be in this landrace. It does look wet there compared to many other locales. Should have great mold resistance you would think. I like that drone idea lol. Anything for the good stuff!

5 Likes

Hello @Upstate.
A quick bit of feed back for you my friend … I managed to land another package from my source , I can say the quality is better ( not great ) than the last time .
the smells coming off some of it - when you break open the bud is
I get a citrus smell initially which then turns into a sweetness - the best description is mango ,this is a generalization . I was actually a little surprised by the Terps I could pick up … I will post a couple of pictures of what it looks like before I break it down and commence my sentence period in seed jail
really good indication of the structure of the plants it came off , very similar really , I think some are lower branches - there looks to be a couple that came of the main ( top section of the plants )
stay tuned …I’ll post tonight after work

7 Likes

Man im pretty jealous of what you are aquiring and getting up to with those seeds! Its very interesting stuff and im enjoying the read. Beautiful scenery too.

3 Likes

No worries @Bob13
I will try my best to get out in the field in the next couple of days - I am keen to see what they have put on over the last 10 days or so .I will do my best to be as regular with the progress of whats in ground . I am limiting my visits for security , the possibility of being seen by the local people when I am there is fairly high , I have a Colombian Gold in flower out there I haven’t visited in 4 weeks , might have to risk a visit and post a pic of her this week…it’ll be in around week 5 of Flower by now , I pray its still there lol never tried the gold myself

5 Likes

Good luck with that colombian! Hope it makes it to harvest. Can’t wait to see it, but dont get spotted just for pics! I looked into Madagascar weed history. It goes back 2000 years! Gotta be several landraces for sure. And there definately is different types depending on which side of the mts yr on. I hope you have scored more than one. Are you keeping seeds separate? Looking forward to a smoke report on this latest score of yours. Sounds like the best one yet! Mango? Zamal has mango terps. South africa does not that i know of. Interesting. French touch seeds carries zamal landraces. There is 3 or 4 on tiny Reunion island alone. Madagascar is massive. Keep scoring that local weed!

2 Likes

hey mate … I will pick a good time to sneak out a get the picture of the Gold for you - its only tiny as it was also a forget me not that I forgot about in the Chili plant out side lol .
Great info very much appreciated by myself indeed …the smell is kind of Mango ish , but I would need the latest harvest I think to really nail down the terps I get a hint of .
I haven’t started the seed sifting yet ,
what I have done ( one branch ) is separated from the other seeds . the structure is very similar to the first bunch I took photos of …main difference is a lot more side branching to this batch …the seeds look to be a better quality in fact a lot less green/pale seeds that I can see initially , you’ll see what I mean when I put up a shot or 2 tonight … I’ll look into ways to get them safely home ,I’m thinking it’ll be a little hard to sneak 1000 through

4 Likes

If you can just mail some to a few of us. I know many would be interested and I myself would shoot some your way if yoursdon’t make it.

1 Like

The problem is getting them off site and too a post office ,but it may be doable ,I’ll see if I can find an Admin to discuss any mail options available to me here … the only other option is take them with me - any ideas from anybody on best way - ps inserting them is not an option
once I do get home the plan is to send them out to all who would like them

5 Likes

To be honest I don’t know what they checks are like for you but I have gotten seeds through by dropping a handful into a sock. If you can get your hands on some bud just talk to whoever you are getting it from and give em a padded envelope or three with some addresses on and a couple bucks for their time.

Ideas aside
Do you sort your seeds off site?
Do you get your bud inside?

1 Like

pm sent mate