Malberry/HolySmokes Landrace seeds/strains

Here’s the Mulanje in the raised bed. Some of those branches are at least six feet long. :scream:

And some of her flowers

I am guessing both still have a long ways to go. I’d like to let them go until mid to late November if the weather cooperates.

10 Likes

Mulanje It’s not nearly the beast that yours has become but it was very vigorous in its veg stage. It’s definitely getting moved to the greenhouse to hopefully finish in Nov (maybe Dec??). No noticeable smell yet.

Are you getting any nice scents yet? @PineTarBastard

8 Likes

@deeez99 Those flowers are looking very nice. You’re lucky to have a greenhouse. I’m not getting any smells from the flowers, per say, but stem rubs are kind of spicy, like cinnamon/pumpkin spice. I’m beginning to see some resin form, and that’s always a good sign. :grinning:

5 Likes

It’s been a couple of weeks, so it’s probably time for an update.

Here’s the Mulanje in the bucket. I’m liking the purple stems.

And some flower pics.

The flowers are very leafy, but the trichomes are forming nicely on the calyxes.

6 Likes

Here’s the Mulanje in the raised bed. Pics are from different angles. The extra root space seems to make a huge difference. The supported branches are growing upright, and the unsupported branches seem to be straining. We had a windstorm several days ago and one of the unsupported branches broke off and the flowers are currently drying. :grinning:

And some pics of the flowers

The trichomes are starting to really pack on. The flowers smell like honeysuckle. :grin:

11 Likes

And here’s a close-up :open_mouth:

10 Likes

I soaked 8 beans, some birds took two of the sprouts, then there were six:

8 Likes

Those are some nice looking plants. Will you be growing those indoors or out doors?

2 Likes

They’re going outside in a bit.
How was the smoke on yours? When did you take it down?

2 Likes

I took what i could in early and mid November, until it became too cold/harsh for them. I’m guessing they could have gone at least another 4-6 weeks. I found them both to be potent and long lasting, and i enjoy the smoke. I’m sure it would have been even better if they had gone the distance. Had some yesterday mixed with some Oaxaca.

3 Likes

@Zanzibar How are the Mulanje doing?

2 Likes

all but one died in the heat. I’ve had a very difficult summer in that I’ve lost a lot of plants. The one left is a female, but… I cringe every time I think about it

2 Likes

Truly wonderful plants here. How’d they finish, smell/smoke report?

2 Likes

@Zanzibar Sorry to hear that. It’s been a brutally hot summer here as well. I foolishly attempted to transplant a few small plants outside in July and they burned to a crisp. For these, I think it best to make clones and plant the clone outside, for a quicker finish, less likelihood of herms and to keep the mother plant safely indoors. Let me know if you’d like to try again next year. :wink:

@District_Flora I harvested what I could in late October and early/mid November, but the Mulanjes still had a long way to go, so the flowers were immature. Early in their growth, they both smelled of sweetness and cinnamon, and during flowering, they both had a very nice honeysuckle scent. The high was uplifting and as strong as the Oaxaca and MDS and lasted about three hours. Nothing remarkable about the taste. I’d like to take them to their natural finish, but that’ll have to wait until i move further south. I crossed them with a few other plants (Bangi Haze, Oaxaca, and a haze) and hope to try those when i have an opening in my outdoor line up.

6 Likes

Mozambiquen Poison seeds finally arrived. Didn’t count them out but looks like I’ll have around 50 or so to work with, give or take a few broken seeds. I will be growing a few of them next year and crossing a male to a selection from 2024’s pheno hunt of the MZPV’22 gene pool, the MZPV’22 #5 x Tosh Valley from this year, and likely ILE Tosh Valley and Highland Nepali (Panauti Village) females if the germination works out for those seeds, as well as the purple ube and green peach ring phenos of the Filipino Kibungan Highlands that are cloning right now.

At least that’s the initial plan for now, a lot is still up in the air until I am able to test the rosin from this year’s plants and see how the later flowering ones deal with the cold and wet outdoors.

3 Likes

Those are some sweet looking plants!

1 Like

@holygroveseed Have you planted any of the Mozambique Poisons yet? Did you get them from HempDepot?

2 Likes

Yes, these were the Hemp Depot ones. I’ll be planting out four or five seeds around the end of January or early February along with the other long flowering plants for outdoor depending on how the timing works out. I want to be careful not to plant more than I can manage clones of since from what I’ve read on ICMag, Malberry was reselling / wholesaling seed he got direct from Mozambique (can anyone verify this?). Hopefully I will have a proper indoor setup for doing open pollinations by the end of this year so I can do a real reproduction of the seed.

I’ll post an update here when I start them!

1 Like

I ended up planting out six of those Mozambique Poison seeds on 3/11 to test their viability. One has come up so far and has the crinkled curling leaves but is starting to develop its first set of normal leaves. I’ll get a picture when they’re out.

2 Likes