Michigan state potency testing (CBD)

Today is the big day for the state of Michigan to come to the farm for potency testing (CBD).
Basically have to open your doors and suck up to them for a bit while they remove 6 headies from each cultivar to test thc levels. This is my first time going through this process and wanted to share it here!

Today they are sampling:

Limeade
Bred by 2 snakes seed (Humbolt seed spin off)

Pinesap
Bred by 2 snakes seed

Cherry Wine
Bred by The Heart and Soil Project

So they will be grabbing a clipping from the top 1/3 of the plants. Minimum of 6 cuts per cultivar. Each cut must be 5 - 8’’ long. I have a very small farm…I’m hoping there’s some left after they leave!

8 Likes

That sounds like a crazy amount of material.

Cheers
G

1 Like

My thought exactly!

That does seem like a lot!

Maybe for CBD extraction/testing they need more product?
Because most labs around me only require .5g dry product for a baseline test.

Maybe the inspectors just like to keep their jars filled… :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

:thinking: seems strange to take so much material. Who makes these ridiculous rules?! So frustrating. Best of luck.

good luck!

1 Like

Not sure about with cbd testing but I know my buddy who got my started gets his tested through a company called iron labs, from I was told they have you send in like a 5g sample perstrain for testing potency and terpines and shit.

yeah Iron Labs is good, but that’s for growers to test themselves, I think that @BorderTownBud is starting a commercial CBD grow, that obviously has a crazy set of hoops for him to jump through

3 Likes

Who’s Michigan send out for such a task anywho? Do they send it to MSU? I applied to Pincanna when they first started building and they never bothered even responding, I think because I’m a felon, which I guess is understandable but still annoying as fuck.

Got my 3a, 3b, and 6 here in Michigan so I know a small amount of the bullshit from LARA and MDARD

SO
She left just a little bit ago… It sounded worse than it ended up being.
It was a close call for a minute. I was very sure to go through her sampling instructions carefully. The rules were to sample FROM THE TOP 1/3 OF THE PLANT. Not the top cola. This was a big deal. The final ruling was grabbing a stem 5 - 8’’ long, that MUST have a flower. We were able to save all top main colas. There was a few cases that I did more topping that she took a “top”
I couldnt take too many pictures during, but I grabbed a few after.

3 Likes

It really was exciting to learn the process. I will admit I was pretty nervous all morning…
It was hard to say what the total weight was, but I was happy there was some runty plants to mix in. I guess all 6 samples are mixed and tested together for each cultivar @firehead @northnorthnugs

@testofoath The Michigan Dept of Ag is the ones that come out to test. They are stretched pretty thin because this is the first year they have to send out field agents for sampling. I had a fill in from the pesticide dept. That was not good on the nerves to know it was her first time sampling too…

Being that it is for a commercial CBD grow @monkeyman there is a Shit load of hoops to jump through. And a ton of fees too. This testing today was $525. $150 for the visit plus $125/lot(cultivar). And of course there is licensing fees…

Cross your fingers everyone! Thanks for the good vibes @og

5 Likes

WOW
Those numbers rather take your breath away…

Cheers
G

1 Like

It’s disappointing that it cost that much, considering independent labs are less. Let’s hope your numbers are good and they don’t mix up samples because they are thinly staffed. Good luck @BorderTownBud!

1 Like

Ah ok, hadn’t thought about business vs personal. Glad you pointed that out.

THANK FOR THE GOOD VIBES!
Everything went really well. All 3 lots of hemp passed state testing.
You can see in the picture they only test for THC and CBD. Also, they have a margin of error to work with too. This sample result was from our Cherry Wine Hemp Lot. It was a very diverse crop, grown from regular seed.
We are given 1 month from sampling date to have it all harvested. Everything here will be processed in house.

2 Likes