Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

With the hands that you have for the normal cultivation that you self-sufficiency and if there is a market to sell, take advantage of it.

In my region there is a great passion for edible mushrooms, it is very normal to go out to the forest to collect them and keep them with different methods and then go eating all year round, in my area they are given at the end of summer and autumn but moving 150 kg I can find in spring.

If it does not bother you I can hang a photo of some mushrooms that I collect, I ask before to not dirty your thread

8 Likes

I always had luck with the spores 101 website

I have mono cultures now tho of PE and others

3 Likes

Or you could add another little thread.

They could pop up, sort of like mushrooms, lol.

4 Likes

Got the shiitake expanded and ready to spawn to blocks…

9 Likes

All my seed starts for the garden are getting going now and the little lady and friend wanted an afternoon treat so I decided to cook a bit of the Lions Mane I grew. The friend brought a Virginia Salt Cured Slab of uncut Bacon to be butchered and sampled with the Lions Mane. What a nice treat to share among friends.

14 Likes

Got enough mycelium expanded now to fill ten sawdust bags with Shiitake spawn…gonna be busy the next few days since I can only do 2 logs a day due to size of sterilization equipment and time it takes for 5lb bags to cool.

We polished off 2 lbs of Lions Mane mushroom in three days…man was it exquisite…taste and texture just like lobster / scallops…and really good for you…even had it in Alfredo sauce with spinach and penne pasta … man was that ever delicious, it takes the flavors of whats around it well also…super meaty and delicious . The block is resting a few days and in a week or so it will start another fruit…and it will do this every two weeks till it fully consumes the substrate and runs out of food. Here is the current fruiting jars / bags.

15 Likes

Eating well.

Fresh shrooms are some of the best flavors.

99%

3 Likes

Respect! I’m sure you remember the pf tek? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All your little seedlings have me wanting to go to sleep until spring.

The weather round here doesn’t know what to do. It’s like a toddler with a light switch

3 Likes

Yea Bill died in late November of 2011, he revolutionized the indoor growing with his Tek which was originally used with rye berries before he later changed it to BRF. It is the go to method when teaching mycology to new peeps since it will get them them through a complete life cycle and let them see whats happening…the yields are really low, but as a tek for the beginner it is the only way to go imho. :peace:

3 Likes

Has me counting the days/ weeks till i can go morrell mushroom hunting !!

2 Likes

Really like how you are using the jars to fruit them. How big is that hole in the lid?

Also does that the glass being clear have any effect on how it fruits? Would think that it would try to fruit inside the jar with the light hitting it all around.

Looks tasty.

2 Likes

I’m side fruiting in quart mason jars on the Lions Mane, I also run it in bags too. The hole is 1/4" or between 6 and 7mm. I use a single hole to force it to make bigger fruits, it also helps the block combat contams and moisture loss. The mycelium will sometimes fruit against the glass since LM will fruit before fully colonized so yes when not fruiting it stays in the dark…its the only strain of mushrooms that I grow that needs this… the light doesn’t affect them at all when they are fruiting.

4 Likes

Well its been a minute since an update…got hit with penicillin…so it cured all my fungus dead…lol

Here are a few Lions Mane and Shiitake I harvested today…

Started AA+ and Purple Mystic too almost outa boomers myself.

:peace:

14 Likes

the lions mane is wild looking. please post a picture when you harvest it and another when you cut it open. :clap:

2 Likes

Thank you, it tastes just like fresh lobster, I will be making crab cakes for lunch today with a few buttons…this is what it looks like picked and split :slight_smile:

14 Likes

This is funny i see a lot of talk about cubes. But not azursences or any of the stronger pcylocibe mushrooms.

Why is that? Are the stronger one harder to grow? If so explain why please…thanks

2 Likes

Where I live 17 different species of wild cube’s / pan’s exist

azursences occurs naturally along a small area of the West Coast of the United States including parts of Oregon and California so its a cold weather mushroom…pans will smoke you and I grow them too…the point I’m making is that cubes are just local and easy, pans are a bit more tricky but not much, just have to be higher temps and tighter control…azure and wavy caps / liberty caps are cold weather and don’t grow here.

3 Likes

no way!!! that is soooo cool.

I used to love to find and cook morel mushrooms in the Midwest.

4 Likes

Morels are popping here now.

4 Likes