Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

I found something yellow in another. Guess that spore print was bad.

3 Likes

Noā€¦ I think like you said you may have made the cakes too wetā€¦

Either that or the way you made your syringe was missing somethingā€¦

How did you do it?

2 Likes

I used a sterile syringe and a sterile needle. I boiled water for 10 minutes and sucked it into the syringe. Put it in plastic wrap and waited for it to cool down.

Cleaned a shot glass with ethanol. Scraped a part of the spore print with the needle into the glass. Added a part of the water from the syringe and sucked it up with spores, repeated once or twice.

Covered the needle, wrapped up the syringe. Shook it and left it over night. Used it next day. Shook it again. Cleaned the needle with ethanol before the first and between all glasses.

I think thatā€™s it unless I forgot something.

6 Likes

What I do for filling the syringe before adding spores is boil a pot of waterā€¦ Then Iā€™ll suck water in and push it out a few times letting it steam sterilize the inside as it fillsā€¦ Then fill it and let it sit and cool offā€¦ Doesnā€™t have to be wrapped in anything, just not sitting in a pile of dirt or poop lol

Correct with your wiping of alcohol/ethanol, wipe everything down that you are gonna use and clean and wipe the area that you are gonna be inā€¦but what I like to do is put flame to the needle til the tip goes red and cool the tip a bit by covering the needle with your ethanol wipe and then directly into the jarā€¦ and for 1/2 pint cakes there should be only about .5cc of spore solution per jar total between the innoculation points

4 Likes

Just to make sure weā€™re talking about the same thing ā€¦ I only talk about the lighter part in the center. The grey that is ā€œeverwhereā€ is just the colour it had from the beginning. It only changed appearance where the syringe did its thing.

2 Likes

Because the syringe was contaminated by the way it was made so that why the contam looks worse at the innoculation points and the substrate bed/verm was to wet and the grey bit is cobweb mold and that shit spreads like a wild fire in the windā€¦

1 Like

So try with your next run use 2c bed:1c verm:1c water and mix it upā€¦ Then take a handful and squeeze itā€¦

The moisture content, known as field capacity, that you are looking for is you could squeeze the hell out of it in your hand and should only get a couple drops of water to come outā€¦ Then your moisture is perfectā€¦ Then take your syringe and try again and see and should be able to get some myc to do itā€™s thing

2 Likes

It looked like that right after sterilizing (and before). Itā€™s just rice flour. Too wet I guess.

1 Like

Yeaā€¦ the little grey looking pieces stuck to the glass is the brown rice flour yes

But like I saidā€¦ figuring out the code to make a good sub is part of the failure we were talking about the other dayā€¦ at least this happened quick and you didnā€™t waste 25qts of spawn and 20qts of coir/verm/gypsum tub after all that work and everything looked good for months

1 Like

Yep I can easily try again. Thanks a lot for your help. Iā€™ll give it another go.

1 Like

Yes!!!

Plus some characters

1 Like

Stopping in to say high! Read through the thread and I think Iā€™m ready.

Will get supplies in the next week or so. And a pressure cooker.

Supposed to have some Cambodians on the way.

Iā€™ll be back with more questions and hopefully pics.

4 Likes

Weā€™ll be here awaiting questionsā€¦ or at least I will beā€¦ Kraven is next level with the info though

2 Likes

I got all my supplies
12 wide mouth pint
2 lb BRF
2 cf vermiculite
2 cf perlite

20,40,66 qt tubs

Can I make my 66 a mono tub/ STill air box. And use it to fruit my brf cakes. Iā€™d like to go bulk after so I donā€™t want SGFC and mono tub later if it will work now. Iā€™m also home all day so fanning is not a problem.

One or two layers of tin foil to cover in pressure cooker?Rubber band or just tight? And after I inject do I cover with micro pore tape or is using pressure cooker and verm barrier enough to prevent contam.

I just have small technical questions. I think I understand the basic principles of growing them just need to learn more terminology.

I may just order spore string so I donā€™t mess up a print first time doing it. And idk where to get a syringe and needle.

3 Likes

Nice, Itā€™s been awhile since Iā€™ve done some shroons.
I thought theyā€™d be all over when I moved to Florida.
I need to do some studying any advice for where I should start?

2 Likes

www.shroomery.org , all the info you will ever need .

3 Likes

Thanks for the link.
Started to have me think of my Ozone Generator I built after the Hurricane and how I might be able to use it for more interesting stuff.

1 Like

No problem . Fungi can be fun .

1 Like

Ahh Sheepā€™s meadow ā€¦ Those were the days ! Central Park ā€¦

1 Like

Can you give a quick tutorial on how to grow outdoors? How do they not get contaminated

3 Likes