Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

Not very easily u less you are somewhere they are nativeā€¦ would have to start spawn and transfer it to an outdoor spot when colonized and not easily done with out contamination issues

3 Likes

still trying to find a low physical labor method to cultivate mushrooms within my physical capabilities.
My sister now has a ninja instant-pot electric pressure cooking hot pot thing,
would that work for jar and growth medium sterilization?

3 Likes

follow up question, I have a ton of mixed bird-seed. if properly sterilized, could these grains and seeds be a suitable growth medium?
it seems like it could work similarly to the popcorn technique to me.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think an instant pot gets hot enough to sterilize like a traditional pressure cooker. Any of the ā€˜tekā€™ methods using jars or plastic tubs are probably a good place to start. The vermiculite ones ā€¦ getting into grains like bird seed etc is next level and I personally could never get them to work.

Itā€™s like growing hydro vs soil, soil is going to be much easier and more forgiving for the beginner. The teks that worked for me were the ones involving sterilizing vermiculite/rice flour in the microwave and innoculating from there. Even better if you can buy mycelium I had much better results doing that :mushroom:

4 Likes

Very true . Start easy and then take it to bulkā€¦ And @zephyr to kill the proper endospores in birdseed it needs to be pressure cooked at 15psi for at least 90 minutes and then yes totally usable . ā€¦I thought of the instapot as well but it only goes to 12psi and isnā€™t quite there for grain spawnā€¦ however that for about an hour would be good for the trusty old PF Tek brown rice flour/verm cakes

5 Likes

@beacher @toastyjakes thanks guys this is really helpful. Brown rice flour and verm cakes it is.
I think I may actually be able to get started on this project soon.
Some local friends have a collection of spore prints and offered me some, so I think I finally have everything I need.

3 Likes

check out

also, you can buy pre-sterilized substrates on etsy for cheap. that way you donā€™t have to deal with glove boxes.

have some albino++ going as well as one other type but dont remember off the top of my head.

3 Likes

and fyi, 7 grams of moby dicks are really really wicked visuals

2 Likes

Moby Dick, penis envyā€¦whoā€™s naming these??

3 Likes

Apologies for being dense.

What does ozone have to do with fungi?

1 Like

Really not a whole lot as fungi breathe oxygen and release co2

Good line on spores and info for a newb ??

Head on over to the shroomery and sign upā€¦ all the answers and info youā€™ll ever need and they have a sponsored tab that will link you to some safe sites for spores and syringes, bulk media, grow kits, all that stuff

I always liked Ralphsters or Sporeworks for my spores, fast and usually pretty good deals

4 Likes

3 Brf cakes into a unmodified tub.

5 Likes

when your cakes were inoculating, did you open up the jar at all? im about 2 weeks into inoculation and although growth is good, i cant help but feel like its stalled somewhat and iā€™ve read about reversing the ball jar lids to allow for less of a seal to let them breathe (i already have 4 injection port holes i left uncovered)

1 Like

The jars i purchased off etsy had an injection and breather port on the lids. The substrate was sterilized. My only issue is that not all varieties like every substrate type. My albino a++ doesnt like my brf jars but the other variety (cant remember off the top of my head at the moment) does. It took off like wildfire. I also read where it helps to shake the jar to break up the substrate after it starts to culture.

2 Likes

yeah I might do that actually. is all going well still so far so fingers cross! mushrooms and mycelium are so fascinating. Iā€™m planning on spawning from BRF to a coco monotub and see how I get on with that

1 Like

I flipped a couple upside down as I had read about giving them some more air. I felt that it did help them get moving again.

I used pint sized jars and these took almost two months to fully colonize.

I took one brf cake and am trying to spawn it to wild bird seed so I can try a bulk method.

I also started some agar in baby food jars to try and isolate out any contaminates in my multi spore syringe.

1 Like

The unstable O3 bonds to organic matter and sterilizes the your work space.
I built it to kill the mold spores that were floating around after the Cat 5 Hurricane ran through my city a few years ago.

2 Likes

Is this only for a separate work space, or generally for all areas including those with fruiting tubs (or whatever tek)?

Couldnā€™t the O3 in this scenario also kill desirable fungi, or are O3 levels too low for that?