My July 2020 Grow

Well fun fun.

The biggest sprout ended up dying after almost having its first set of leaves come in. I suspect the fruit fly larvae were to blame because I noticed how it was doing OK then sorta seemed like it wasn’t doing anything then started to lean over. So I got suspicious and sprinkled out the top layer very carefully onto something so I could see if it was growing or not. The sprout was broken in the middle and was real slimy looking. The roots were this mushy mess.

The fruit fly info from Oklahoma State said that larvaes turn everything they eat “into a liquid mess”.

I start squeezing the container and see a bunch of larvae moving around so I dump it back into the kiddie pool I have setup so they can finish their life cycle and then fly into the sticky traps I have setup. I have some nematodes coming very soon to mix in to stop this but I think the sticky traps have done their job really well because I don’t see many of them like I do around my computer monitor, LED desk lamp or bathroom window.

The 2nd sprout I went to go check on after that mess and ended up dropping the container in the sink where I suspect the sprout went into the drain.

The 3rd sprout is doing OK in soil that I checked for larvae by scooping up, spreading it out, checking carefully then pouring into another cut up water bottle. This time I decided to put a plastic sandwich bag over the top and the past 24 hours is showing the plant developing its first set of real leaves. There’s some moisture on the sandwich bag and on the edge of the water bottle rim so I think this was a good idea.

I have a seedling green house dome starter thing coming that has clear liners so I can check roots. I decided to get this because with only one sprout going, I wanted at least 2 or 3 for my first grow anticipating one dying or one being a male. So the “Blue Dream” seeds I mention above that I tried to germinate didn’t have any action so I tossed out those 5 as being duds after nothing for a week. I put in the remaining five seeds I had into my little plastic container that has a wet napkin inside.

Two of the five are starting to crack this morning so I’m hopeful I’ll get over this small hump and have something going this month because I was wanting to plant in July and start training in August or early September at the latest.

I’m already planning my 4x4 light. It’s going to be expensive but I’m saving money wiring it and assembling on my own which is starting to look like saving 30-40% off of something ready to plug in. It’s going to be 12, 75 watt Samsung panels with 2 deep red strips in between each set of 3 panels that on paper looks like pushing 36" - 40" deep in my planned 4x4 depending on my framing material for the light.

Power consumption doesn’t look like much which impressed me in comparison to the possible results. What I might do is veg and train my “kush” and 2 “BD” seeds under this Spiderfarmer 1000 then around flowering, have that new 4x4 light ready if I budget everything right.

I found an old washing machine body with an open back and 3 sides in my garage. I can easily find another one to stack and fasten together as like a 2x2x5 space. I plan on turning this into a “hidden” microgrow veg/mother chamber with the SF 1000 light for my own curiosity because I keep people they need to start doing this with everything going on and what’s going to happen when they’re dry with no supply in sight?

I watched a video last night of a survival camper guy explaining his mini split AC system that he has solar powered. You know that typical late night can’t sleep video. Well he said in the video to improve airflow he moved from the “crappy metal accordion style dryer ducts” to PVC. So I might run some PVC for airflow because I did try hooking some ducting up to the 4 inch fan I have and wasn’t impressed by the airflow. I know I’m going to 6 or 8 inch once this goes into a 4x4 setup.

I have a 6 inch fan in my 4 x 4 tent with accordion style ducting and I have to keep the fan speed down to reduce the negative pressure some. It is also cooling the 400 watt HPS light. A 6 inch fan should be plenty for that tent and depending on how many plants you are running, that 4" may work fine. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Finally some good news I think!

The mycorrhizae and mini seedling greenhouse thing I ordered came in. I checked the seedling and it seemed OK but when I sprinkled it out to transplant I did see the root wasn’t doing too good so a little sprinkle of that into the hole I put it in is already showing some results after a few hours.

I dropped the light so the humidity and heat would get up inside the greenhouse which it did for a few hours and I put the light back up a little bit because it was pushing close to 88 F. I just checked it after about 9 hours transplanted. I could had sworn the thing was slightly leaning before I took a nap, ate dinner, and already looks like its increased in size with the first set of leaves looking doubled in size also. This is the “kush” bag seed.

The “blue dream” bag seed is still showing signs of 2 of the 5 slowly germinating. I put them under the light to get warmth too. I’m glad I only have to deal with this for a harvest or two before I start doing clones.

Just a germination area for now while I plan out the veg area. The first set of leaves have doubled in size the past 24 hours so I think its just a slow process with all the roadblocks I keep hitting. Once the 2 other seeds germinate and I get them into the dome, I think those will probably grow much faster.

4 Likes

I’m going to give it about a week maybe 10 days in the mini greenhouse. Some of the hottest weather outside right now and the grow room is 78. Over by the windows is 82 but I remember when the windows were not covered with this insulation and boarded that it would feel like 90+ back there.

The picture was taken last night.

5 Likes

Some good and bad news

First the bad and pretty predictable, the 2nd wave of fruit flies came back but I’ve been actively fighting them and should had the first time where I thought it was just a bag of contaminated Black Kow from the big box store. I had a bag of trash with some fast food crumbs not really like “food” in it that I guess was feeding them in the back of my house which is way too big for me to live in. I had the bag ready to throw out and I threw some other stuff in it and left it 2/3 full not realizing the stuff was at the bottom then forgot over the weekend.

Well I guess that was the main thing feeding and generating them.

I bring in the pool full of soil and they move over to that being this mass breeding thing but also the new food source. I wake up a few days ago to another mass swarm so I grab the pool full of soil then drag it outside then dump it in a flower bed to be done with it. I had nematodes coming but in the new batch of soil I make up which I think this batch was too hot with blood/bone meal I’ll go ahead and add them in the soil to prevent this from happening where they use my soil to lay eggs then the larvae are growing in the soil feeding on the compost.

The good news is soaking seeds 24-36 hours and germinating in the plastic bag 72-96 hours has me a huge sprout. I mean huge compared to everything I’ve dealt with. The last time I looked the seed hasn’t cracked so it looks like it has a helmet on. It would easily fill up the mini greenhouse seedling thing I have within a short period of time due to how long that root is. Sadly none of my good seeds germinated or that other sprout survived but I do get lucky with bag seed until I figure out how to get me some seeds from overseas with the best genetics.

If anybody needs some fruit fly trap ideas - a water bottle with 2 holes drilled in it and the strongest apple cider vinegar does work but it may take awhile. You can also use a coffee cup. What happens is the females want to lay eggs near a source of food or moisture for the larvae to develop. You can buy 3x5" sticky card traps and what I do is pour some of that apple cider vinegar into the coffee cup then peel both sides of the trap then place the trap to where theres the smallest amount of space for them to fly in.

They will fly on top of the card and get stuck, fly underneath the card on the sides or inside the cup with the apple cider vinegar bait then lay eggs then go back up to the top then get stuck. Don’t get discouraged if you see one land then “bounce” right back off because it was one that didn’t get stuck good enough with maybe only one or two legs. You’ll see them get half their legs caught then move like a military crawl which gets their body or wings stuck then they’re stuck for good.

They’re attracted to light, especially LED so if you have a desk lamp or notice they fly near a monitor too much put the trap near that. I’ve seen them bounce into the light full speed and land on their back on the trap due to the steep angle I have my adjustable lamp against the trap. I put the water bottle and also cup trap near my bathroom window where they love to fly against. Also the kitchen window too. You won’t notice immediate results with the water bottle but it takes some time then you will notice the bodies piling up in there after a few days. You’ll have the quickest results with the sticky card cup trap idea because its more space for them to land on because they detect the apple cider vinegar.

1 Like

Leaves were yellow when I planted it last night, imagine the surprise less than 8 hours under the light.

4 Likes

I know kinda late but been busy with work.

I was killing new sprouts due to how low the light was and I don’t think it was heat related because I was keeping an eye on it so I jacked it up a good bit then dimmed it. I’m finally getting results. Like I planted them I think Saturday evening, put the dome on it and this is Monday morning. Past few sprouts would had been slumped over by now.

I left the dome off after taking the picture and checked on it about an hour ago, its already starting to even out with its leaves rather than looking crooked so I think thats telling me what I’m doing is what it wants.

I’m going to keep the light at the current setting which is like 60-75% then when I replant I’ll turn the dial to 11 so they can grow like my overgrown front lawn.

2 Likes

Transplanted this morning. The other one isn’t doing too well its roots were doing the best but it ran out of space. I should had transplanted earlier this week so its stunted.

6 Likes

I had to cut the tips because they were brown from overwatering. The soil mix I had was too much Black Kow and it was retaining the water too much making it a mess so the leaves were showing signs of overwatering. The other plant I had died and had more of a Black Kow mix. I watered it because I was curious about moisture retention under the LED then noticed a slight smell to it so I gave the cup a squeeze then noticed a fruit fly or two fly out. So I got curious and dumped the cup out in the yard - they were laying eggs and larvae were in it.

So after that quick close call after the infamous fruit fly takeover, I’m completely done with it inside due to how it attracts fruit flies so quickly and I’m going “soil-less” with more coconut coir. I have a few fruit trees in my yard and a dog that creates a decent amount of manure so they’re in my yard a lot. They often fly inside and end up in my bathroom due to the window so I’ll eventually kill them because they just hang out in the bathroom the whole time. They’re not hanging out in my kitchen or around trash cans due to food being out.

I bought some more coconut coir, mixed up some nutrients into it to hold it over the next few weeks and transplanted the plant into another big cup then decided to use a red Solo cup instead because I see people using them and I had a few to get rid of. I want to top it when it finally gets to that point and start training it before I transplant into it’s final 7 gallon container.

The 3 leaf set is finally starting to come in after being slow the past few days. I put a good bit of mycorrhiza into the hole I made for the transplant then put some on top and a few days later put some worm castings on top of it and did its first watering after the overwater incident. On that three leaf set in the picture above this post the main leaf was about the same size but the smaller leaves were barely coming in. Now they’re more obvious growing in and you can see the growth coming in for the next set of leaves after this.

I can’t seem to get anything to germinate due to old/bad seeds so I’m getting a little nervous with this being my only plant. I wouldn’t mind harvesting some personal yield but I have a feeling that when I get another light, it could be the time to take clones off this for practice and put them under the better new light I plan on getting until I can get some better genetics or get lucky with some bag seeds.

GNATS ARE NOT FRUIT FLIES. This is something that is getting confused by other people on here.

1 Like

Stopped in to see whats growin.
Also not a fan of gnats.
For me…No more problems after I started crushing up mosquito dunks and top dressing my pots.
Top feeding distributes the BT.

Sticky traps for fliers.
Two weeks and problem solved.

6-pack is about $8 us.

1 Like

Oh another thing I forgot to mention, it may be related to the new growth - the light is tilted at a slight angle due to the dimmer and driver being mounted on the heatsink so I put a plastic/rubber screwdriver I had on the empty side which balanced it out a few days ago. The heatsink isn’t hot at all and I checked the screwdriver for any heat damage which it didn’t have so I might look into remounting the dimmer to balance it out if it’ll stay even. I have some little 2x4 cut offs of wood that I could balance it with also if I need my screwdriver back.

I still believe balancing the light helped me.

4 Likes

All the old growers are blown away by how short and fast it’s growing due to LEDs. My past experience with CFLs was major stretch by now and being panicked about the heat. You can see in some of the pictures I have a plastic box giving it like 4-5 inches so some days I’ll remove it for a complete day hoping it’ll get some height.

~3 weeks with the few days lost due to the shock from overwatering according to picture timestamps. There’s a fan constantly blowing on it on medium-low.

3 Likes

Labor Day Weekend update:

Not bad. She’s solid. No complaints at all. I topped her a node too early I think but I’ll be OK.

She got some rainwater the other day so I’m trying to get a watering per week with some captured summer rainwater. About every 2, 2 1/2 days she gets a good drink after I check. I like coconut coir so much better than soil with cannabis.

I could/should probably clean up the bottom nodes but I’m trying to learn to clone so I wouldn’t mind doing a few clones, maybe get another light the same one I’m using and just veg this until the clones get this size then use both lights because of my bad luck with seeds.

I’m thinking transplanting into the final container the next 10-14 days and maybe end of September start doing 18/6 with the lights.

3 Likes

After topping and trimming up the bottom.
Transplant is set for this weekend into its final container.

3 Likes

All set.

I turned the light down to 80% to let it adjust then I’ll slowly turn it up over the next few days after I build a mount for the light since I’m roughly 18" away from the light. I think the mycorrhizae helps tremendously. I’m a believer. I gave the red cup a few small squeezes and a light tug on the stem. It came right up in a whole piece

I put some mycorrhizae in a hole I made with the red cup and some on the sides then watered it with some collected rain water from this week’s constant wet weather so it’ll get activated. I got a good mix of blood and bone meal in there also. I left the space as a way so it can grow a little bit more then I can start training it with some twine by making holes in the can.

3 Likes

I trimmed like 12 big 5 set leaves over the weekend so more light could get to the bottom. I’m going to start training the next few days with some netting on those side branches which you can see the small leaves coming in on that. Where I topped has some branches coming off that so I’m thinking the trim job is encouraging new growth and she’s finally going to get a little bit more taller since I’m hoping the roots are reaching the nitrogen from the blood meal that’s mixed in because all it had in the cup was worm castings.

3 Likes

So far so good.
I’m going to let the two branches from the top grow tall and build the canopy below that.
I’ve cut all those big 5 leaves. All the leaves now are 7 leaves which I’m keeping for the plant to grow.

when should I go 18/6?

3 Likes