My state's government is on sum BS!

NY is even worse.
10k nonrefundable
200k to play, and it only lasts maximum of two years.
10 lights max for the whole operation
1acre canopy

Meanwhile, a few grand in oaklahoma with no restrictions - hence many breeders fled there to make fields of seeds.

2 Likes

Try over here!, gotta have over 2 million in assets just to grow…, Lmao!:sunglasses:

The states (and Canada) where there are low barriers to entry, it’s basically impossible to make a living as a small craft grower because of the competition anyway; bulk prices are too low and taxes are consistently too high. @JohnnyPotseed just experienced it, and I believe him when he says it’s brutal out there.

You also have the issue of being small business, which means the next time a recession comes you’re crushed by it while the corporations have the option to sell debt on the bond market and know that, if worse comes to worst, it’ll be purchased by the Fed. I’d like to see a market where lots of different people get to play, but I just don’t see it happening in this reality… maybe the next universe over, where people are nice and friendly and didn’t nail a guy to a tree a few thousand years ago just for suggesting that maybe it would be cool if we stopped hitting each other in the head so much. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Ignore the law and grow anyways. You’re in a “legal” state even if you get popped for production you’re unlikely to be prosecuted for it. Shit I’m in an illegal state and the most they could give me is 8months in jail and $1000 fine as long as I have less than 10lbs of product. Carbon filters fucking work for odor control! Got a full 8x4 in mid flower and unless I open the tent you can’t even tell. Basically my advice boils down to ignore any laws not based on moral universalities and live how you want, grow what you want and do as little harm as you can.

12 Likes

But even then unregulated production still expensive, I just out of curiosity calculated running costs for my maximum production and fuck me after running costs right :sweat_smile:🫤

2 Likes

That doesn’t sound good. Not to me personally. I feel we should be able to practically do what we want on the property we paid for…without paying additional fees. Now, being able to grow your own without ridiculous “taxations” would benefit sooo many ppl especially middle to lower class that sees cultivation as a way to financial freedom. With the way things look financially crippled ppl will fall in debt b4 they even get the ball rolling. The shit is crazy unreasonable. They made so only rich ppl can capitalize on something that’s been raised and nurtured by the common folk. Same old song man. Smh

6 Likes

There’s almost no point in growing commercial outdoors these days at small business scale, you can’t compete with corporates lower running costs and their excess production. Indoor high grade is more stable in pricing and an easier market to compete in because their running costs are just as high when accounting for labor(which more than equalizes their lower energy costs) top shelf indoor almost never dips below 2k/lb at wholesale

2 Likes

So less than 500 for 8-10 pounds of weed? :raised_hands: 50.00-62.50 a pizzle would be an acceptable price to me :laughing:

1 Like

Interesting perspective. If I throw a plant or two outdoors they grow for free and any remittance received for the final product would be 100% profit. Considering there are farmers in India and China who live on less than 100 bucks a year, it would seem that 50 a P would be excessive and greedy to most of the worlds farmers :raised_hands:

Haven’t read through the whole thread but I wonder if it is possible to get the old school hemp tax stamps…seems like it might be easy to obtain, but not so sure. With a tax stamp you could grow as much as you want and not have to worry about Jack…of course you’d have to have your strains tested for thc and if it is high enough to be considered pharmaceutical, take the appropriate steps…

Overgrow the world! :wink:

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

Nevermind the internet says it was repealed in Leary vs. The United States…I thought this was still a thing. Damn man…

After the Philippines fell to Japanese forces in 1942, the Department of Agriculture and the US Army urged farmers to grow fiber hemp. Tax stamps for cultivation of fiber hemp began to be issued to farmers. Without any change in the Marihuana Tax Act, 400,000 acres (1,600 km2) were cultivated with hemp between 1942 and 1945. The last commercial hemp fields were planted in Wisconsin in 1957.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

Prices reflect costs, India and China are far less expensive to live in than the US with significantly higher home ownership rates. I’m not just accounting for electric on my running costs that’s one part, rent, water, fertilizer puts my max capacity cost at over $1000/mo and I gotta eat and pay myself too ya know I love growing weed just about more than anything in the world, but at the end of the day it’s still a business

Your logic for that is the same as what will happen here in the US.

That’s why lbs will be less than 500$ in the next 5-10 years. No small business can compete with 20k sq foot warehouses all automated with tax cuts.

Here’s a good link to check prices

https://www.cannabisbenchmarks.com/report-category/united-states/

I get that growers want to make a living from this plant and a few will but there are way to many small growers that want it and way to many companies with deep pockets to compete with. That’s one of the down sides to a legal market.

3 Likes

Small growers do make their livelihoods growing corn and peppers and selling them at farmers markets so there is a possibility to make a profit from a legalized agricultural product but I feel that if someone thinks they are going to be able to maintain the high prices that were enabled by the illegal market and get rich off a legal commodity product in a free market they have a little bit of basic economic theory to catch up on

5 Likes

I bought an ounce from an Illinois dispensary at $20/gram once. Once.

Oh Virginia is an absolute shit show. 10k application fee, 60k permit fee, and 10k yearly fee. They tried to pass a bill bumping permit fee up to 1 million for pharmaceutical processing. They legalized possession (25$ civil penalty) then recriminalized 4oz in public. The new governor is out to get rich from cannabis. Won’t be long before the recriminalize homegrows. Makes me so fucking angry, politicians are real life vampires. Why does it has to be treated like this? Why can’t it be treated like tomatoes?? :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

It’s true that folks do make a living in small markets but let’s face facts, this plant has to be more regulated than corn or tomatoes. Never gotten high off a piece of corn. One problem is we have unscrupulous growers who use pesticides or PGR’s. Some could not care less about anything but profits which makes it tough to have a craft market. I am all for the idea, just not sure how that could happen easily :thinking:

2 Likes

Lol, here in California, that’s a typical monthly energy bill for just a house! We are getting robbed hand over fist.

Because people don’t get high off tomatoes bud. I get folks want to act like weed is produce but it’s clearly not. If they regulate something as simple as an aspirin I can’t imagine just treating pot like a tomato.

1 Like