No need to fertilize Coast Of Main soil?

1 week old today. I’ve only been misting them up to this point. This morning I misted and used a dropper to put a little heavier around the base. At what point do the roots kick in more? 3-4th set of leaves? Also, is my light too far? I have a 600w MarsHydro only draws true 100w and I have it 3’ away currently.

2 Likes

If you water in circle a bit away from the stem, roots will grow horizontally looking for that humidity. Keep an eye on stretching, if you see them leggy just lower the lamp … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

All on the floor except the big green tub on the left, and the dwc, is COM, ph’d water, calmag, coconut water 3 times now and molasses twice.
One has colas the size of redbull cans. Oh yeah, 1 gallon pots since I’m just testing to see how I like it

1 Like

Yea I’ve been watering around it like you just said. Does the photo above seem too leggy to you? I’m gonna be doing LST or a SCROG with these.

1 Like

Right now they look fine for me Arriba|nullxnull, I don’t have much experience with autos and how they react, so just keep an eye on stretching and distance between nodes and put lights accordingly … beer2|nullxnull

2 Likes

Anyone use Coast of Maine soils? Ive been content with Happy Frog, but looking to change it up.

2 Likes

Using Stonington now with Foop, as they recommended, but I cut it to 25% Stonington, 25% Perlite
35% coco mix, 15% vermiculite.
I had started ten beans in the soil and they were stunted drastically, culled them and started over.
It comes very hot out of the bag.

I used them well before they sold out to Frey Brothers, who IMHO started mixing that foul sludge of biosolids into it. The last bag of Frey Brother/COM products I opened, dumped out on my mixing tarp, smelled of petroleum products real strong like. I used it, sort of had to at that point.
I found a work a around product, and give them the boot forever. Used to use their lobster meal, I give that the finger now to.

2 Likes

Thank you. I will stick with whats been working for me.

I’ve used their Stoningtons and seed starter mixes and I’m over them. Plants seem unhappy. Going to use BAS and my own mixes from here on out.

2 Likes

I have some plants in it, like roots soil better. As far as not feeding that’s dependent on pot size, but most premium potting soils can go water only in a big enough pot.

I use the COM stonington blend pretty much exclusively as it’s the most readily available where I live. Haven’t experienced the things described above although I’ll be on the lookout moving forward, I have gotten bags with fungus gnats but that’s a risk you run with any bagged soil I suspect. As far as the nutrients are concerned they advertise it as essentially a water only soil, I’ve found that in smaller volumes (3-5 gals) that is not the case, plants are good for like 4-6 weeks before deficiencies will start. I now start top dressing pretty early on so that there is a continuing loop of organic matter breaking down and becoming available when the plants need it. I also have been experimenting with supplementing fish hydrolysate and kelp sludge to keep things healthy, and recently picked up a bottle of blue gold flower formula as a quick method of clearing up deficiencies that I might see in flower, I’ll also supplement with teas and when needed. Good soil from my experience but still needs to be helped along unless you’re running a large volume of soil. I’ve run 20 gallons outdoors and not had to supplement as heavily, making it basically water only, I’ll usually just top dress once or twice during the cycle. Just my experiences to date, hope that helps!

4 Likes

Just wondering if this mix Is truly water and let it go, or will it actually need top dress or other ammendments? Thank you!!

1 Like

Here’s the Coast of Maine cannabis catalog, their feeding charts are in here:

3 Likes

That is awesome!!! Thank you very much! Ordering now. Damn, this is the ticket!! Growers love!!

1 Like

Happy growing bud! I have great results with CoM soil and their fertilizer mix, I use Down To Earth for the bone meals and stuff but I’m sure CoM is top notch for anything from the ocean, they do a ton of recovering shells and bones from the fishing industry up there

1 Like

Sorry about the delay.

Depends on the size container and the type plant.
I’ve been using this for a while and find that a gallon of soil is good for about one month without any feeding. So a 2 gallon size pot can support a plant for 2 months and a 3 gallon pot can support 3 months with water only.

This 3 gal/3 months timing works great for autoflowering strains- I topdress with dry flowering amendments around week three and they’re good aside from weak molasse to feed my soils.
If you are growing photo period plants that veg for longer you will need supplemental feeding, a larger container, or both. Once you get past the 7-10 gallon container size the need for supplements drops. I only do autos any more so never use anything that large.

I would only caution you to ONLY use supplemental feeding products that work with this lovely living soil, and not bottled nutes that will destroy them. You didn’t buy pricey living soil just to ruin it- feed the SOIL itself and you can reuse it over and over.
And of course remember that dry amendments take 7-10 days to kick in so you need to anticipate your needs a bit.

1 Like