No need to fertilize Coast Of Main soil?

I’m getting setup for my second grow since my state is legalizing July 1st!!! Only other grow under my belt was in a shitty shed when I was a teenager and when growing marijuana was looked at like making meth lol. For my soil I got Coast Of Maine Premium Grower’s Mix and I noticed how much good nutrients are already in the soil, and the claim that you won’t need to worry about PH. Wanting this grow to go flawless I also ordered Ph Perfect Technology the Micro, Grow, Bloom 3 part mix. My question is, with this good soil will I even need the 3 part mix or is that overkill? Could I cause damage if being too rich? I would like to think not, but wanted to get some opinions. Has anyone used both the soil and the 3 part mix? I was thinking about doing a couple with the 3 part mix and couple with out as a test run, but if someone steered me in a better direction I’d go that way.

9 Likes

Their Premium Grower’s Mix AND the Stonington Blend are the two that is “water only”. Unless you really WANT to, you don’t really have to add anything. You’ll still need to do your “pest prevention”, etc. I’m from Maine and have used their offerings for multiple years now, in addition to straight Cow Manure w/natural amendments. Good luck, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes: NOTE: NEVER a :100:% guarantee of things going flawless with this “hobby” of ours, too many variables.

9 Likes

By water only from seed to harvest, they did came that you need 15gal of their mix.

5 Likes

Welcome to overgrow, @EKGgrow88!

Please be willing to make mistakes - there’s no better way to learn. We’ll be here to help you along the way, though!

11 Likes

Send all the sythethic bullshit back and save yourself some money.

Look around for ads for horse manure, people with horses will be glad to give it to you for free as it’s nothing but a nuisance for them, but it’s gold for a grower.
I use big thick plastic bags. Use a shovel if you don’t wanna puncture the bag with a pitchfork.
Mix a handful of it in the bottom of your soil and top dress with it along with dandelion, nettle, cleaver, thistle, horsetail, grass clippings, tree leaves, all very rich in minerals and growing for free everywhere.

Order some vetch beans maybe, really cheap, they work wonderfully for nitrogen.
You can sow them at the same time as your cannabis and chop & drop when you harvest, that’s when the nitrogen is released again for the next grow, best after the vetch starts flowering and before they produce beans. (They smell a bit like tulips.) Earlier is fine too. Just chop it up a little and topdress. The more variety you topdress with, the faster it will turn into the most fertile soil you’ve ever witnessed.

Then just sow or plant directly into the same pot and soil again, you can keep reusing it that way, the roots of the previous plant helps aerate the soil, so no need for perlite, concurrently they will decompose into food for the new plant.

Add a couple of worms too.

This method is called permaculture.

Once you have your pots going, no need to buy anything ever again.

What strains you starting?

6 Likes

I would add just pHed water and keep an eye of them in case they show any deficiency hum|nullxnull. If you add more nutes than necessary, the soil would be too hot, you would have to flush so you would loose that good soil properties.

I am using AN pH perfect but with Canna Terra Professional, so I already know what I have in my pot and what I am adding, with prefertilized soil you never know what’s in there and how to amend it when necessary.

I have great respect for organic growers, but you need a lot of knowledge and experience to keep things “flawless”. If you want to keep it simple, just water and see how they react … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

Id say its probably fine for a full run, you could always do a top dress with earth worm castings or compost for a little boost. A mulch layer on top is clutch too. Main thing I ran into initially was over watering, just make sure to
not overdo the water and it should grow easily in good organic soil.

3 Likes

Yup, I did see that later.

1 Like

I use the mix, really good. Bags I got this year were more dense than usual. Added some rice hulls and I mix some lobster compost in my soil too.

The 15 gallon bucket thing is true!!! If you go from solo cups to 1 gallons they suck up all the nutes up quick. Maybe 2 weeks. So go big or you’ll need up add nutes. I can get Away with a 7 gallon if I transplant 7 days before flip and I give them a tea About half way thru.

Currently running them in 3 gallon pots and use the Bulidasoil bloom mix thru flowering.

Best of luck to you.

4 Likes

Welcome brother from another, I used the stonington blend twice. Good soil but with small containers I would have some other ferts/organic amendments on the side as a top dressing if you notice the plants are lacking.

4 Likes

I’m using the stonington mix this grow and I’m at 6ish weeks in 1 gallon pots. I did add 25% perlite to fluff it up a bit. I pH my water to 6.3, add 1/2 tsp calmag and that’s basically it. I fed coconut water once and molasses twice. Everything is deep rich green and buds are nice sized already.

4 Likes

Yea I didn’t mean flawless literally. I know how patient growing plants can be. I’m a landscaper so hopefully that will help me some. Lol

2 Likes

got my sprouts coming up. Got the light 3’ away to avoid burn, and I decided since they’re autos to place them in their forever home from the start. Should I leave the light on 24hrs for the first 4-6days for the seedlings? I was going to do either 20/4 or 18/6 for the light cycle. Leaning on 20/4 since they’re auto flower.

3 Likes

20/4 the whole life is perfect for autos. I run mine in my flower tent because of space. They are auto, but you do need some dark time for metabolic processes to happen even so.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking too. I know guys pull off the 24hrs, but I want to give baby girls some rest. Any normal plant needs a little break ya know?

1 Like

Well I have readen here that even with 24/7 lights on they take their 4 hours nap zz|nullxnull, so it is kind of useless … ejem|nullxnull

1 Like

I do have to note. I’m pretty sure I got root aphids from the lobster compost.

Really? I’ve never had a problem with it. I generally use it for growing mushrooms on though too

The bags were kept outside, so that may be it.

1 Like

I hope that is where they came from. I’m almost done with my stonington nothing but calmag and pH grow ( one shot of coconut water and a shot of molasses would be the only other things I’ve given them), and they are honestly looking amazing. I can only imagine if I had fed them or done bigger than 1 gallon pots! I’m very very impressed by it, the buds look like running roots soil and organic foods, but it’s only calmag and pH down.