Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 3)

7 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

Schienenzeppelin, 1929, Germany

2 Likes

Skull w:o eyes

3 Likes

9 Likes

2 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

tons of videos on these types of slab tables with epoxy fills all over Yousetube
these guys

4 Likes

those are 2 different types of pine so not a good comparison - just saying

3 Likes

Don’t you be throwing that logic stuff at me @SamwellBB !! :grin:

2 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: sí señor
my logic

3 Likes

xwi2Y3G

xwi2Y3G

3 Likes

Reminds me of the lyric from “Oh the Wind and Rain” after the miller fished the drowned sister from the brook and as her body lay there “drying” on the bank, a “fiddling fool”came along and he made a fiddle from her bones and a bow from her hair
.the only song that fiddle would play was “Oh the Wind and Rain”

2 Likes

I don’t know about “1950s grain,” but I can tell you the bottom 2x4 is old growth. Based on its color, I’d say it’s Douglas/red fir.

I built this cabin in the early 1980s. Using only hand tools, literally by myself. This is about 4 weeks into the 6 week build. Today, it has small additions at the two doors. The majority of what you see is lumber I salvaged from a house I tore down that was built in the 1890s. (I use a square nail from that house to stir my bong’s bowl.) The two exterior sides you see are interior paneling turned backwards. For those interested, it’s1x2 beaded t&g, finished side not showing. All of the framing, except a few floor joists, came from that 1890s house and looked very similar to the bottom piece. Nice tight grain with not much arc. (When the cabin was finished it cost me $1500 and some joyful sweat equity. It’s been rented to an old friend for the past 30ish years.)

The species of that upper piece is more difficult to determine. Based on the grain pattern, it’s definitely a modern S4S (surfaced on 4 sides) 2x4. Look at how close to the heart of the tree the arc suggests. Also, the space between rings tells us it grew quickly. You’d never see 2x4s with a ring pattern like that from a house built even as late as the 1950s. The color suggests “white” hemlock or young red fir. There are hints of red in the dry part of it.

Or at least that’s my guess.

It was fun as shit to build!

Edit: The posts are Port Orford cedar. They came from the inside of an abandoned train tunnel. They came to me as maybe 12x30s in various lengths. It was a long time ago. I used a chain saw mill to mill them into 12x15s (if I remember their original dimensions correctly).

10 Likes

You certainly know your wood :thinking:

4 Likes

Yes I do, big boy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

5 Likes

Penguins and a pope

3 Likes

2 Likes