Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 5)

Canadians: international superpower but not for the reason you’d think.

1 Like

Fear the great Canadian silo.

1 Like

4 Likes

2 Likes

Gotta store that grain somewhere.

Also I like that Tom Waits is dressed like a pump in the middle of a cornfield. It’s a fun image.

1 Like

Gotta “water” somehow.

1 Like

Shit pimp I meant pimp.

I know, but in the context, I thought pump was a kind of appropriate error! HA!

1 Like

I really like his older stuff. Some of his newer stuff too but particularly his older stuff.

1 Like

I agree. I generally prefer his older stuff. My favorite albums of his are “Heart of Saturday Night,” “Small Change,” and “Nighthawks at the Diner.”

I think my favorite song of his is “Shiver Me Timbers,” but I tend to like songs about going to sea. The pain and love are what stand out for me and touch my heart. It’s a song that makes me cry virtually every time I hear it.

1 Like

Carolina reaper is still officially the hottest breed. Dragons breath is a new variety that haven’t been stabilized yet, so can’t officially be declared the hottest. But even that isn’t the hottest, Pepper X is also being worked on, bred by the same guy who bred the Carolina reaper, and it’s tested even higher still!

Carolina reaper 1.4-2.2 million scoville
Unofficial testing
Dragon breath 2.4mil
Pepper X 3.18 million

I’ve been growing hot peppers for a couple years. I grow a few Ghost peppers and Carolina reapers for the giggles, but I never end up using any of them :hot_face::fire:. I gave a bottle of “sauce” to a friend to try as a deer/bear repellent for his garden, but he didnt even try planting anything this year :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

I had such a major crush on Linda Ronstadt when I was a kid into my teenage years in the 70s.

3 Likes

The guy that made the Carolina reaper I’m pretty sure had other peppers that were hotter, but he was still working the line till it was more consistent. This is heresay from years ago, but I believe it’s true, I think one was called “pepper x” or something

1 Like

This shit will give you chemical burns

3 Likes

I got to see a very young Linda Ronstadt (I believe she was just 16 at the time). It was at Ledbetter’s, a small bar/venue in Westwood in L.A. She got to play two songs when the headliner took a break. He was the only one on the bill that night. And who was the headliner? That would be Biff Rose! What??? You’ve never heard of Biff Rose?!?!?! No surprise.

He cut a couple of albums but his style is so eclectic and his voice is so thin and reedy I was never surprised he never gained a large audience. His songs often take the dark and turn it into light.

For example, in the song “Ain’t No Great Day,” he begins with the song’s title, “Well, there ain’t no great day coming tomorrow” [and finishes up with] “cuz it’s here today!” This is the great day, and it’s the only one we really ever have! Fuckin’ brilliant!

He wrote some killer songs! “Communist Sympathizer” is so right on the money! And “American Waltz,” all about our American dream (come false). I’ll just mention one more, “The Ballad of Cliches.” You know what it’s about.

Many of his songs are just so on point, at least for me, as well as being really funny in their phraseology. FWIW, David Bowie covered him.

3 Likes