Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 5)

12 Likes

Apparently this was an analytical mistakeā€¦ Kids used to be forced to be right handed in school, so when they did this study in the 90s, older people were more likely to be ā€œright handedā€ even if they werenā€™t born that way. It biased the analyses.

2 Likes

I looked it up, you are right. Main reasons are accidents and war/combat

1 Like

Itā€™s about time.

1 Like

My dad was born in 1906 and he was left hand dominant. His mother was a very progressive grade school teacher, so she forced him to learn to write with his right hand. Very progressive. You betcha!

My pop was also a very artistic guy, including drawing and painting, which he did with his left hand. Writing was the only thing he did with his right hand.

Iā€™m not sure how that affects the analysis you allude to. And, of course, itā€™s anecdotal.

1 Like

2 Likes

8 Likes

Iā€™m only 43 and was forced to learn to use my right hand for almost everything. I can still feel that yard stick

2 Likes

7 Likes

6 Likes

I read in somewhere that if left handed people were not converted to right hand users it would be a 50 50 split between left and right on the planet.

3 Likes

3 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes

Forcing a left-hand dominant child to learn to write with his/her right hand does not make them right-hand dominant. This happened to my dad, and he only wrote with his right hand. Drawing, painting, using tools, etc all were done as a south paw. He only wrote with his right.

2 Likes

When I was in grade school(60ā€™s 70ā€™s) they made left handed kids learn to write with their right hand. It had to have been incredibly difficult for them!

1 Like

I always heard something to the effect of : you can be left handed, but you should write right handed so as to prevent smudges from dragging the heel of your hand over fresh ink.

I wonder what this means for peopleā€™s who write top to bottom, or right to left

Left handed people are forced to be different in that aspect, maybe writing with a curled wristā€¦ the beatings etc :shushing_face:

3 Likes

Being left handed is an advantage in some forms of physical competition because the fist comes out of left field and they arenā€™t ready for it.

When I used to fence Iā€™d hear people bitch about it all the time. I just winked and smirked.

4 Likes

Iā€™m really surprised the practice continued that long. Fuckinā€™ people!

One of my sisterā€™s is left handed and does just that. It didnā€™t happen to her once modern-day ball point pens were introduced.

2 Likes

When I was a carpenter, whenever I built a fence I always went from left to right just to hear people complain. As a right-handed person it always confused them and theyā€™d walk away mumbling something about smearing ink.

2 Likes