Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 5)

if you find this creepy, go and watch the disney subliminals :laughing:

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

4 Likes

5 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

I know people try to correct grammar in memes, but there should be a question mark after no. It’s not a grammar correction. It’s just a tiny leading of the witness piece of a troubleshooting schematic lol

5 Likes

my first thought looking at that meme

1 Like

Nothing brings a group of assholes together faster than something that's none of their fucking business

6 Likes

I believe there should also be a comma following “Dear men,” which is not a sentence.

Anybody believe that that seemingly complete lack of understanding of grammar is generational, as in the last generation or two. My grandkids and I write (read text) with one another, and at least in texting, neither one of them seems to understand grammar, even a little bit. And don’t get me wrong, as I’ve said here plenty of times, I don’t understand grammar for shit, but them kids have me beat in lack of understanding by a country mile.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Language is quite possibly the best tool we have.

Cost = nothing, infinite uses. Easily expounded upon.

4 Likes

I totally agree! As I see it, the problem is some people don’t understand which end of the hammer to swing. It’s good to learn to use the tools before proceeding to abuse them.

2 Likes

5 Likes

12 Likes

We’re like monkeys on a typewriter. Words can mean what you meant, or they can reveal things accidentally. Freestyle rap battles come to mind, or william burroughs cut and paste editing. I think it’s amazing we have a common level where thes oogs and ayayayaieeeee sounds we make can convey information as well as they do.

3 Likes

Anybody talking about the airforce intelligence agency guy saying basically this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.snotr.com/video/7859/The_US_President_warns_about_astroid_impact&ved=2ahUKEwiMuvCAoK-AAxUfFVkFHczUD2YQo7QBegQIDBAB&usg=AOvVaw1UZkRI2OWzK6I2B8konwfQ

1 Like

This argument seems a lot like the classic argument about whether animals other than humans can conveying meaning. Yes, they can express generalized meaning. What they are unable to convey is specific information, like “there are five (insert name of enemy animal) over that ridge and running directly towards us.” They can indicate imminent danger, but without specifics.

My point is if nobody involved in the conversation has agreed on what particular words mean or how a sentence (or not a sentence) is structured, deeper meaning is not conveyed, only the words.

In my mind, those are completely different situations. In the first, actual language (the spoken stuff) is being employed. In the second, it’s not language proper, but rather orthography. One cannot go back and edit actual speech. In freestyle rap battles, you are always moving forward. When we write, we have the opportunity to review and possibly change (e.g., correct? clarify?) our statement. (I proofread literally everything I post/text/type/write, and I still fuck it up some of the time.)

FWIW, I personally never enjoyed a Burroughs book. They were always a struggle to read. Obviously, the vast majority would not agree, or he wouldn’t be the literary icon he is today.

Edit: A day later, I have proofread this a second, maybe third or fourth time, and have, I hope, clarified some things. It’s so difficult to proof your own writing.

3 Likes