Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 8)

9 Likes

i stopped fact checking them after the first five times they were wrong. must be some sort of political organization working hard at normalizing misinformation. i checked one of those places out years ago and found out that’s what was going on. they tend to go by names like “think tank” and such.

1 Like

12 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

10 Likes

2 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

Lol. That plain grey t shirt that Zuckerberg wears costs $300-400. You are crazy if you think he’s shopping at Costco or Walmart.

5 Likes

The goal is to look relatable.

4 Likes

15 Likes

That comparison could be considered a little misleading if one were to look at the rings (i.e., quality of the lumber) rather than the size of the boards.

The 1920 and 1960 examples are what today is called dimensional lumber. They are closer to fully 2" x 4" (they might be slightly over or under) rather than today’s typical 1 1/2" x 3 1/2". Also, they both have rough sides and square corners. The 2019 example is what is called S4S, or “surfaced on four sides.” It has rounded corners and a smooth surfaces.

Regarding the quality of the lumber, the 1920 and 2019 examples were relatively young trees, unlike the 1960 example which was more mature. You can see that the 1960 stick has a red center and the rings are substantially closer together. The red part is the heartwood. That stick is structurally superior to the other two examples, not because of size but rather the tree’s compressed heartwood rings. You can also see the rings closest to the heartwood were compressing when the tree was harvested.

I think interestingly, in each example you can see the remnants of twigs that were subsumed by the trunk. In the 1920 stick, it’s a light line at about two o’clock from the center. That was a early branchlet. In the 1960 example (perhaps true second growth lumber), the twig is the broken up “line” at about eight o’clock. In the last stick, the twig is the dark slash in the upper left corner. The larger knot was a larger branch. The twig knot happened to be cut longways rather than crossways. Had the twig been cut across, it would have been called a pin knot. In that case, it would have appeared as a dark, hard spot.

Sadly, I couldn’t find that website. :frowning:

12 Likes

9 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes