Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 8)

No no, you gotta realize these cars are sitting in old sheds, sold grandmother to grandmother only driven on Sundays lol. Not hotrodded like the garage shows on TV. The hearse was insanely special though.

They all leaked oil :rofl:

For the record my first car was a 90s geo storm (late bloomer). 0-60 in about 72 hours, with an overdrive gear if you manage to make it there :grin:

2 Likes

My dad traded in a 56 Cadillac 2 door convertible W/ continental kit for that 61 bug.
Pics of that old car are awesomeā€¦they have a pic of it in Yosemite with the ā€˜fire-fallsā€™ in the backgroundā€¦I was too little to remember.

2 Likes

Yep, early 50s.

I worked with a guy in the mid 1970s, Frank Baker, who bought a new VW every two years. His opinion was the best car he ever owned was his 1952 36hp Beetle. Putt putt.

2 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

I had a 64 that was perfect.
That 1200cc ā€˜millā€™ was so weak it couldnā€™t hurt itselfā€¦38MPH in 3rd gear going over the hill to Santa Cruz.
The only one I missā€¦

4 Likes

My dad used Quaker State, which contained paraffin. The buildup of paraffin in the engine was unbelievable. Only a tiny hole to pour oil in.

Engine didnā€™t have an oil filter, just a screen.

2 Likes

I did 3 full rotations on a dirt road in a bug my brother had.

I misspoke when I said the old mustang was like a go-kart, those Beatles are a riot to drive.

5 Likes

Theyā€™ll climb anything in 1st gear

3 Likes

Even better in reverseā€¦
Iā€™ve got stories I canā€™t believe my self.

2 Likes

I stopped driving earlier this year because I didnā€™t feel safe being so out of practice from my stroke six years ago. Until then, however, and Iā€™d always owned at least one vehicle since 1965, I never owned an automatic. Not one.

1 Like

My family had a 58 bug, 60 bug 65 van, 70 van and 72 van

Iā€™ve owned an 85 camper van and 90 golf

Iā€™m done with VWs

1 Like

We have that in common.

2 Likes

I have a 1 ton dually with an Allison 5 speed automatic. Best automatic transmission Iā€™ve ever had.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been a Toyota guy since 1983.
Can still pull a type I motor in 10 minutes or less, prolly in my sleep.

1 Like

Lots of us put on after market external filters and coolers.

And donā€™t forget, those early VWs were 6 volt systems. Driving along youā€™d be all squinting at the road ahead. Went to 12 volt too! HA!

1 Like

6 volts sucks when you need a jump start.

1 Like

Couldnā€™t agree more! And in so many ways!

1 Like

Had an 85 honda civic. Could pick up the engine myself. 12 inch tires. Passenger seat not bolted down. Already had scratches and dents.

Best thing - I could push start it by myself! Also - I could get any parking place.

Almost out of likes

4 Likes

Push starts! I remember pushing a '77 K5 Jimmy by myself to start the damned thing. Good thing I was in football at the time.

1 Like