Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 9)

3 Likes

You’d use an extra, smaller tank that you fill using your volcano and a compressor. There would be a switch to activate the regulator for that tank whenever you wanted a hit…

1 Like
2 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

If my dog ate my philosophy book I’d kick him into within an inch of a non-existent afterlife.

1 Like

Good philosophy (in the tone of the restaurant owner in the Fifth Element)

1 Like

He’d have to eat my whole library but even then he’d still be a good boy.

1 Like

It seems to me that the critical question is does it have grammar? If the answer is no, it does not qualify as a full language. It’s clearly a way to transmit information, which is what I took from the link. But an actual language?

Are speakers able to express their feelings? Philosophy? Abstractions outside of the numerical realm? This system may be able to tie numbers to places or occurrences, but for me that hardly qualifies as a full blown language. It’s almost like a trade language, where a narrow band of information can be exchanged successfully virtually every time, but again, not abstractions.

Or, informationally, like cuneiform.

Do you know that we humans are pre-wired for language/grammar? Not only that, but if a child doesn’t learn a language, any language, before they’re about 13 years old, they will never learn a language. After that point, they can learn words, but not grammar.

3 Likes

I was a mobile dj for several years, and being older I did a lot of 30+ year reunions. Younger dj’s didn’t necessarily know the music. By the time of 50 year reunions, it’s definitely going to be in a smaller venue, the music is going to be quieter, and it will perhaps be an earlier evening.

2 Likes

I have to disagree. Cuneiform can express rich and potent linguistic nuance.

Though it was rarely used for that and used for things like mainly, seriously, shopping lists and inventories.

2 Likes

Right. I agree. I blame my poor memory. I was really alluding to the first tablets that were translated. If I remember correctly, always dicey, they were things like bills of lading, lists, etc.

2 Likes

Even the Rosetta Stone is a tax document so much of our ancient finds are quite boring.

Gilgamesh on the other hand.

3 Likes

Right.

Oh yeah, Gil used to live across the street from me when I was a kid. Yeah, I’m old.

3 Likes

Enki-mota. One of the first fictional characters.

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes