Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 9)

I agree that square nails are, in many cases, superior compared to modern wire nails, but to some degree, it depends on the job.

I believe that square nails, particularly old ones, have superior holding power. Old square nails were made of iron, not steel. Iron is a softer material, more apt to small flaws that create friction, aka tooth. The corners also provide more tooth than a tubular body. My guess is handmade squares were even more effective due to their individual “flaws.”

One thing square nails are particularly good for is old, brittle lumber. Fir in particular gets crazy hard and brittle. Square nails have blunt tips. Modern nails have points. Square ends crush rather than split brittle lumber’s fibers. The moral of the story here is if you are driving nails in old dry lumber, blunt the end of each and every nail. That’s right, each one of those wire nails gets a couple of gentle taps to blunt the very end. You can do this with thin fresh lumber that’s apt to split too.

Of course, hand driving nails is almost a specialty act these days. HA!

6 Likes

And don’t call it ‘boob-sweat’!!
It’s Humidititty!!!

3 Likes

I have to disagree with this one,

grammar.

I think this one is actually about spelling and knowing what words mean rather than grammar. I say that because I’m pretty good with spelling, but I don’t know shit about grammar! I know which is which. :+1:

2 Likes

uhm…sorry…peppers are Native to India…But yes-Tomatoes were from South America, and imported to Italy…

1 Like

The reason people believe Grammar is the same as punctuation, is because they are taught together AS Grammar in school…but yu are very correct, they are not one in the same.

3 Likes

The art of grafting!
We had an apple tree with 5 cultivars of apples on it-- it was OLD–like 20ft tall, gnarly, and about 3ft across at the base…

1 Like

No, Pepper is native to India, but Chilli (peppers) are not and come from the Americas.

3 Likes

9 Likes

I don’t see my cousin John’s hand there. He only has his right thumb and pinkie finger left. Cherry bomb. Before it happened I always thought of him as a real dumb shit. He proved me right.

5 Likes

3 Likes

8 Likes

4 Likes

FB_IMG_1719972053773

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes
4 Likes

The best generation, I’m a Boomer…

5 Likes

2 Likes