Not JUST another pollen chuck - Phenohunting Autos with Terpsneeze

if you use a ereader with any frequency whether fiction or say the book above which ive been through aswell :wink: here’s a link you may find handy http://libgen.rs/

3 Likes

:open_mouth: There goes any free time I might have had LOL Thanks @Mr.Sparkle !!!

1 Like

Having these little chambers has opened some opportunities to change things around in the lab. Part of which is a fresh timer for these, and a few yet to be delivered items but this begs the question what light cycle should I run? Opinion seems to vary widely, I run our vertical farms, our vegging photoperiod seedlings and clones all on 18/6 but the goals are different slightly different here. Instinctively I want to run 18/6 but what do you think? :thinking:

What light cycle are you running for your Autos?

• 12/12
  • 18/6
  • 20/4
  • I don’t mess with Autos :cactus: …yet

0 voters

1 Like

I like your breeding tents, what size are they?
What ya gonna do about pollen getting out of the tents?
Personally I’d just use 160z party cups to grow in instead of 1gal pots. Can get more plants growing all at once and for sure the growth hight would be minimized.
The black cream auto sounds yummy…

I made Grapefruit auto seeds before, but that was just reversing a strain I loved for fem pollen.

Overall I like your idea and plan, I’ll check in time to time.

1 Like

right on sir love to see more folks growing autos I have a project in mind myself as do a few other folks on here @nefrella and @SmknCanuck I think I love it can’t wait to see everybody’s results

1 Like

They are 24x24x36"

I’m not sure if you mean as to collection or mitigation. For collecting pollen males will be isolated to the secondary tent once they show sex, I will use a make-shift dog-of-shame cone out of flexible cutting boards and tape to surround the plant and in the bottom of the cone I will put a vessel of some kind to collect. For mitigation of pollen (as they will be grown in my lung room for my photoperiods) I will be extracting both tents into a central T, the bottom leg of the T will be connected to a T4, each tent will draw into the T4, then into a dust separating cyclone (for woodworking) that will force any airborne pollen down into a vessel with water that will capture and inert the pollen before passing through one more hydrostatic pollen filter and vented into my lung room.

Like this

As per solo cups: the reason I went with 1 gal is I still want to see what the genetics will do without too much stress, having them root bound will not allow me to see what the plant could do under “normal” conditions. I run huge pots for my photos as far as most people are concerned for the same thing- I’m am trying to see the what the plant can do with optimal conditions first then stress test them later on by even growing them outside in the spring.

Edit: I missed a question :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Love the idea of using water to stop pollen from leaving the mini tents :wink:

1 Like

Yeah its sort of two birds one stone really; The tents will be under negative pressure, ventilation will take place through the passive intakes and I get to control where the airborne pollen is going this way. More testing required oh course but the theory is strong :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a great idea. Especially for anyone who wants a smaller dedicated space for males without worrie of pollinating the rest of the house.

1 Like

Where did you get the tents from? Link?

1 Like

Nice!!! :seat::film_projector::popcorn:

1 Like
2 Likes

Updates:

Build wise still working away getting things setup. Decided to double up the lighting in each tent therefore each tent will be running 176w draw Full spectrum LED for lighting. Have the MERV8 pleated filters behind some hydrostatic pollen filter over the 2 passive intakes and sealed in with thermal tape flow is very reasonable however they are not light proof (I forgot who but someone asked recently if pleated filters and pollen hammocks were lightproof…nope). Fitted each tent with a 4" Phresh Carbon Filter, plumbed the cyclone behind a T and plumbed the T4 behind the cyclone. I also have a 200mm Noctua 5v usb powered fan above the lights drawing air up into the lights.

The pollen cyclone water trap concept has seen one generation of build but I have yet to test how effective it is on the fine particles (going to use perlite dust to test this likely tmr). If it does not appear to be working as intended I will fabricate a filter box, fill it in with a series of pleated filters and ensure all exiting air is forced through the filter box.

I plumbed in the one tent for aqua valve and ran some flow tests, everything seems good there. Filled the tray with 2" or so of water and I am stress testing to see how high humidity climbs with full power light and a fan setpoint of 30C on the T4. So far with the whole footprint of the tent covered in several inches of water and all lights on; RH is 38% temperature are the upper canopy extreme is 29-30C and holding. I am monitoring it through inkbird sensors which I set to the reading on a fresh T4 so this is merely a give and takes until I have time to calibrate them properly.

Genetics:

2 of the seed shipments I have been expecting for seemingly months now are still delayed. One made it into the country but has not moved in over a week and is only 17kms away :man_facepalming: the other is straight-up missing or really taking the long way around from the southern states but is currently AWOL.

Things couldn’t be busier/more backed up around the here with other projects and a serious need for rest will all factor into how quickly things move forward from here. Biodynamically today is the day to pop some seeds… I really should resist the urges until things are a bit more settled around here :sweat_smile: Thanks for stopping in!!

3 Likes

A quick little update for the new year.

Build: I finished hanging lights, wiring the 200mm fan, 4" carbon filter and finalizing the auqa valve placement in both tents. I decided to sacrifice 2 of the XL Autopot trays to have a secure support for the Auqa Valves by cutting the front half of the tray, leaving the cover and support pin for the valve. The mirrored breeding/isolation micro systems are good for go!

Genetics: The postal people did finally release my seeds, hilariously the “stealth” shipping was effective and cheap.

More to come! thanks for stopping by!!

2 Likes

Well Friends,

Things have been slow enough on the work front to start cranking through the long list of projects and I finally cleared enough off of my plate to reasonably start this project!!!

Now the hard part… I have a bunch of auto seed I am chomping at the bit to run however I need to be more strategic given that I have some reg, some fem, and some unknowns in the gene pool. In order to have room to isolate males, I can only run 8 regs and 8 fems at a time with the thinking that I can always find room for a few extra flowering females under 18/6 or 12/12 but I only have limited space for males.

So to continue my “pick your own vicarious growing adventure” theme I thought I would let the folks that are interested have a say. What REG seed should I run first?

• Short Stuff Seeds - Short Stuff #1
  • Short Stuff Seeds - Snow Ryder
  • Flash Seeds - Cobra
  • JBow918’s -Spotted Lime F2

0 voters

And which Feminized seed should I run alongside considering that whatever regs are running at the same time will likely provide the first test cross candidate

• Mephisto - Double Grape
  • Sweet Seeds - Black Cream
  • Auto Seeds - Sucker Punch
  • Barney’s Farm - Sin Tra Bajo
  • Blimburn - Tangie Auto
  • FlashSeeds - Lemon AK
  • Dutch Passion - Ultimate Auto
  • Mr.Spakle’s - Dark Spark Mix
  • Mr.Sparkle’s - Cookie Devil H2
  • Mr.Sparkle’s - Ghost Rose X Cookie Devil
  • Mr.Spakle’s - Poisoned Rose X Cookie Devil

0 voters

I am hoping to get this thing rolling pretty quick so vote, comment or not I need to pop seeds to get this crazy undertaking underway.

Thanks as always for stopping in and voting, looking forward to making some major beans for us all!!!

4 Likes

Bump- Need some tie-breaking votes!!

2 Likes

I am going to be following this more closely and go back through as might get into a somewhat similar deal, also have a decent amount of seeds now to play around with…

I voted for the snow rider cause I like frosty looking bud (I believe last I saw that’s a trait) and I especially like purple frost, so I upped the memphisto…

I still have a lot to learn about strains so maybe you can discount my votes lol

2 Likes

I’m confused, those Short Stuff strains are autos and you listed them under regs? Am I misunderstanding something?

Also I’m looking forward to your results with aquavalve flooding the whole tray. Their tray systems are crazy expensive! Will you try and keep the light away from surface of the tray to avoid algae problems?

2 Likes

@Orloff yep Auto Regs mean just as it sounds, there is the Regular seed (show both sexes in offspring) which when bred with other Auto Regs produce Auto Reg seed versus Auto Fem which are produced with the typical feminized seed process and don’t include the male chromosome, therefore, you get females plants 99% of the time and can only be bred through pollination from either a reversed female or pollen from Auto Reg male to get more Auto seed.

As for the homemade AutoTray, I was going to see how much of an issue this will be without nutrient in the solution, I have not had any unintended growth anywhere else in my systems where just water is left under light. If I have troubles I will make a lid for the tray, which might end up being panda poly for the time being until I can craft something more permanent. My main concern currently isn’t algae growth as much is it is humidity with an open tray of water and fabric pots in tight spots. It’s all an experiment and will all be documented here.

3 Likes

Oooh, I thought all autos were fems by design, shows how little I know about them!

Good point on humidity with an open tray. I’m sure you have a dehuey handy, so probably nothing that can’t be handled. Or you can send some RH my way, I’m struggling to keep it up during winter :laughing:

2 Likes