Not JUST another pollen chuck - Phenohunting Autos with Terpsneeze

Just a guess/prediction, If you have humidity issues, I don’t think the tray will be the biggest culprit…

I once made a small box for drying the harvest and it was too dry so I added a tray of water in the box and if memory serves me correct, I want to say it only raised it 5% maybe 10% at most? It might increase it more if you have a fan blowing on the water or something wicking the water and further even a fan blowing on what’s being wicked lol

2 Likes

Yeah, this is a factor combined with low temp nighttime temps and transpiration that might become an issue, it also may not. Overall the system full of water, extraction off, lights on stays stable at 70% RH in testing - no plants breathing in the space. The extraction is way over spec, the T4 will do 240 CFM and it is only venting 16ft3 so I don’t think it will be too much of an issue just outside of what I typically run for flowering plants without further intervention.

This does remind me that I am switching ALL of my flower cycles to run at night to deal with low nighttime temps throughout my space. Not only will this help with the big swings in temps in the winter months but will also allow the systems to do the same in the summer months where the space can risk getting too warm during flower, with hot seasonal weather. Hoping this gives me cheaper hydro (off-peak hours mostly) and helps combat some stretch.

2 Likes

Looking forward to watching along…I have a spring auto project in the works. Been collecting genetics. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Cheers, looking forward to getting in the groove with the breeding aspect, I have some other genetics that very much interest me just have had a hard time securing them. Once this system/process is all ironed out I will have likely added many more to the mix and hopefully already working on some interesting traits.

All the best with your project as well :nerd_face:

2 Likes

The people have spoken and it looks like Mephesto Genetics Double Grape and Short Stuff Seeds Snow Ryder are the initial test pilots for this project.

6 x DG and 6x SR were dropped into moistened EasyPlugs and covered with a 1 cm layer of Green Gaia Living Organic Soil. Then it was into the clone dome and into the rack over a heat mat where they will stay until their roots are nearly out of the plugs so that I can up pot them with minimal stress.

This is not my typical route (I pop directly into soil as nature intended) but this seemed to make sense for my outlook. Healthy boys and girls will be up potted to 4" rigid pots until they are sexed, Males will remain in 4" for the duration whereas females will graduate into 1 gal fabrics to finish. In a week to 10 days I will pop the remaining 3 Snow Ryders I have on hand ( they shorted me one !) to hopefully get some Reg Snow Ryder F2s as well as run a test cross with the selected Double Grape(s) to get this project underway.

I will start my count at seed pop so today is Day 1 of Run 1A, hoping for good things from these lil creatures but now they need time to get going! This also brings us to the least exciting phase of this regime so I will update every few days, until then thanks for stopping in friends!

6 Likes

the DG is a beautiful plant

1 Like

You should self pollinate or breed the snow rider to itself and give those seeds out to the community as a big FU to the seed seller who shorted you lol :joy:

Seriously… :man_facepalming: Yes the whole goal of this effort is to make seeds in fact you quoted me as doing just that.

I will at some point offer various seeds from this project back into the OG community as previously stated as well in the 1st post…

Since I am already having to respond to your post, I might as well explain why you might want to read what you are commenting on before you do. Selfing is unnecessary if you have males that regular seeds already inherently provide which the Snow Ryders are, this would have been clear if you would have read a touch more carefully and understood what you were reading. Selfing in this intence would just narrow the available genetics to only female chromosomes and is simply unwanted for this or most other breeding projects where viable males can be sourced.

As to screwing over anybody or that mentality in terms of working with cannabis is also a misguided perspective to take. I personally think that anyone releasing regular anticipates that you will in fact breed with them otherwise they would simply offer feminized beans if they were really worried about protecting the genetics or merely maliciously capitalistic.

Thanks for sorta keeping up nonetheless, but yes the thread explained all that you had commented on previously.

For sure, but the same goes to you as I said and you quoted me to, “or breed the snow rider to itself” (vs the self pollinating [fem]) meaning generating regular seeds.

And I wouldn’t call it screwing them over, that would be more of in response vs drawing first blood which I relate to screwing someone over.

Let’s not distract your thread tho, it was more of a joke than anything serious, stay focused and keep up the good work :+1:t2:

Day 4 Run 1A

!

Things are moving along. 5 of 6 Double Grapes and 4 of 6 Snow Ryders have popped, cotyledons out, with true leaves underway.

All of these lil gaffer’s taproots were protruding from the Easy Plugs this morning so it’s time to up pot to 4" pots and into Green Gaia Living Organic Soil. I carefully cut the tray away from the plug, gently split the tray away, and place it into a similarly shaped hole with some K sprinkled in the bottom of the hole.

The last Double Grape has popped but slow to the draw the other 2 Snow Ryders are not showing any signs of doing anything… I have 3 SR beans remaining on hand and will pop them in the next week or so. First Lesson re-learned, always plant a few spares, not sure why I gapped on that…

But otherwise happy days, glad to have these moving forward.

Thanks for stopping in again friends!

4 Likes

Pre packaged or ?

1 Like

Yeah this is bagged soil mix, fresh from the bag, it is very similar to the BlueSky Organics Super Soil we use in our water only soil for the photo stuff. They were out of Super Soil last time I was at the shop so I grabbed this. Super Soil/GG LOS is great as an amendment and or nursery mix, neither would get you very far into a cycle without further amendments or feed unfortunately though. I will be feeding anything that stays in 4" pots with Bio Cana nutes via foliar and girls destined to finish will be up potted into our water only soil and 1 gal fabric pots.

1 Like

Where ya buying that? I use Gaia green organic nutrients so the super soil pre mixed may be helpful.

1 Like

Local Hydromart. If you are already finding the amendments you can likely ask them to bring it in or know of somewhere else that might.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m already using 444 and 284 nutrients from them. Love it.

1 Like

That Gaia Green line is some great stuff!

2 Likes

Yeah totally agree, I have been using their amendments for years, a lot of which I always keep on hand. This soil is however new to me but looking at the ingredients, chemical analysis and holding the soil in hand I would say it is very close to Super Soil I had been running in it’s place. I may have to do some head to head comparisons but expecting good things form them, no reason not to.

2 Likes

Awesome :ok_hand: maybe ill grab a bag & mix it with my HP Pro Mycorrhizae & top dress with Gaia 444, 284 and EWC whenever needed.

1 Like

DAY 8 Run 1A

Things are still moving along, nothing too exciting to report yet. 6 DGs and 4 SRs are now into their 4" pots, under the clone dome in the vertical. Some of the DGs are stretching a bit but I am not too worried as all females will be headed for 1 gal fabrics fairly soon, I will bury them a bit if it is still an issue by then.

The 2 SRs that still haven’t popped, I took a closer look last night, both had popped but didn’t get very far, one looked like it was starting to compost so I took it out of the plug for a closer look. It had 2 tap roots, both brown and dead/dying looking, no movement for a week, it was DOA, so I dissected it :nerd_face:

The other seemed to be facing the same issue but its taproot was still white, intact and so I transferred it to a fresh easy plug to see if I can’t get it to go.

But that’s all for today friends, its pretty low profile time around the farm, everything is just getting going! Thanks again for stopping in!

5 Likes

DAY 14 Run 1A

With my strategy of staying ahead of the roots stressing as well as ramping up feeding the 5 DGs got up potted into their final desintation of a 1 gal fabric with 3 fingers of perlite and some experimental water only soil mix. It will likely be a bit hot but only time will tell :crossed_fingers:

E.W.O.O.S (Experimental Water Only Organic Soil) v1

• 2 gals of Gaia Green Living Organic Soil mix
  • 1 gal of my premixed organic water only soil mix I run for photoperiods
  • 9 tbsp of Gaia Green 4-4-4
  • 9 tbsp of Gaia Green 2-8-4
  • 1 Handful of activated Biochar
  • 1 Handful of Diatomaceous Earth
  • .5 gal Perlite

After the 5 were up potted I decide that I would leave 1 DG in 4" and move the 4 SRs into breeder # 1. I will wait until they are a bit more settled before starting the auto watering aspect of the breeder. All the SRs are eventually headed to Bredder # 2 for open pollination if I get male plants from the 4 I have going if not I will be popping the remaining 3 SRs I have on hand likely tonight/tmr.

But that’s about it for today friends, thanks again for stopping in!

4 Likes