Not Just Another Tincture Thread

It’s not damage you can examine under the scope. It’ll cause reduced flexibility and fiber swelling.

4 Likes

Ethyl alcohol like…ethanol you mean?
If I were to use vegetable oil on a bubble bag I’d be so obsessed with trying to get it out after I’d probably resort to alcohol to make sure anyways, haha!

So, I just did a test run of making hard candy. I didn’t use any tincture. I did put in 1tsp of organic lemon flavoring (alcohol based) at that step though, just for practice.
I was surprised how long it took to get up to 300*F. I also didn’t use “white” sugar, I used organic cane sugar I think it’s called. They’ve just cooled off now.

Question, guys: Why do all the recipes (because I watched several videos too) for this say to “not stir”. The Loranne flavoring video on making hard candy says “bring to a boil without stirring”, “add coloring at 260*F - do not stir”. Is it something to do with disturbing the “sugar matrix” or crystals or something? Recipes also say to brush down the crystals along the edges (I know why this is suggested) and I was prepared with brush and water, but I didn’t bother.

Another question: I assume it doesn’t matter if the flavoring is alcohol or oil based - I think the Loranne ones are oil based.

Thanks @GrouchyOldMan and @FieldEffect for nudging me to just try stuff out. I’ll be making some more, stronger tincture than my initial attempt and then I’ll use it in the hard candy recipe. I’d like to see when and how FieldEffect poured his molten sugar into his mold. It looks like he did an awesome job at filling them all evenly and not having huge pools around it (I did ok at it, and I was just testing different pouring speeds and methods).

4 Likes

This might sound strange to a normal person, but I wouldn’t let any of that touch my bags. Vegetable oil, isopropyl, ethyl alcohol so on. I’d lose it. There better not be an f-ing speck of dust on there either.

I don’t have a lot of time for a detailed reply but:

-I stirred regularly because evidently I missed the part telling me not to
-I shot for just over 300 (302 or 303) for a harder “hard crack” on my last, most successful batch
-I definitely stirred the flavor/color/tincture in after it had cooled down from hard crack until the bubbles stop and poured immediately after the color became uniform. I just shot for the center of the molds and the blobs settled nicely into their cubes as it all cooled

Glad you are giving it a go! Hope you are enjoying yourself :sunglasses:

I’ll get back to this with some details after we get the little one to bed

3 Likes

No sweat, bud.

So, when tasting a little piece of broken “candy” it tasted good (not much lemon flavor, if any, but that wasn’t the test anyways). When I tried a full candy ‘square’, it was too just “plain sugar sweet” for me. I’m more of a savory snack/treat person anyways. But I’ll have to find a nice flavoring that I like, and also, I think I’ll go for a bit of citric acid to make it sour, if not at least to offset the sweetness some. Does that work like that?
It was so sweet that after about a minute I spit it out, hahaha!

2 Likes

Cinnamon is my favorite hard candy flavor. It helps mask the weed taste real well. Citric acid complements the lemon flavor. Just be sure to add it at the end with the flavor and tincture. If you add it with the sugar and water, it will burn and be bitter. Ask me how I know… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

I had that problem with my first batch of hard candy- it was like a mouthful of straight sugar, and hurt my teeth after a few seconds lol.
Next round i added a lot more candy flavoring (grape), which did the trick for me :+1:

2 Likes

Ok, noted. Thanks, you two.
I was pondering over grape, actually. I wanna try the “loranne” oil flavors. Gonna try to find local first.
I saw a recipe on youtube for starburst, and I’m telling myself to slow my roll. But it calls for butter, and that made me wonder if one could make some candy that calls for butter without needing tincture - because they could substitute cannbutter if they had that. Just thinking.

I had quite a bit of “candy” that remained in the pot and covered the side wall where I poured it out, which I couldn’t get out. If I had been making a batch that had weed in it, that would have been wasteful. How do you avoid waste there? Because you cant reheat and pour this kind of candy/sugar mixture, correct? The pot looked like a skating rink.

4 Likes

I’ve been know to throw a cup of boiling water in the pan and make a tea with that. Usually I just call it a loss.

6 Likes

I have a question for the tincture gurus, first timer here. I’ll try to keep it as short as possible but I’m a rambler :grinning:.

I took about an ounce maybe more of Bud and some trim and decarbed it. I water cured it for four or five days. I changed the water out daily., dried it to nearly turning to dust when I manipulated it. Soaked it in everclear for 4 or 5 hours as I just wanted the high and wasn’t yet worried about medicinals with long soaks. I strained the solution with 2 layers of Target cheesecloth then 2 coffee filters.

Sat few hours in the instant pot with no lid on low to reduce. I’ve had it sitting on a shelf for the last few days and then transferred it in front of my dehumidifier with the fan always on. I stirred it up yesterday and it’s been milky ever since. Tons of green-gold rso sticking to jar and collecting on bottom. I can still smell some alcohol and it ever so slightly bites the nose.
Also smell nothing else but cartridge oil. tastes like I’m drinking from a cart😂.

The dark container was given to me by a friend who was gifted by his neighbor, last year. the only thing I know is it was everclear and soaked for 2 months. It smells very strongly of alcohol and some other funky shit, not really cannabis or any state of cannabis.

Mine is on the right.

Is this normal for not emulsifying it any way other than stirring with a small flat tip screwdriver that was sanitized lol? I wasn’t aggressive at all.
I’m going to add some lecithin and ether infuse into honey or MCT oil. Criticisms and recommendations are needed please. I already see I’m going to have fun time removing the good stuff on the inside of the jar.

4 Likes

In my experience, it doesn’t take much to encourage Canna Tinctures to emulsify. Adding Tinc to water makes cloudy water. In red wine, tinc makes a visible emulsified layer on top of the clear ruby colored wine.

Screwdrivers in general are not normally a part of my tincture routine so I have nothing to add on that subject. LoL

4 Likes

I needed something with small surface area that I could clean, and stir with that wouldn’t pick up much. my silicone spatulas collect the RSO and don’t let go.

3 Likes

Lick :tongue: the Spatula , don’t leave nothing behind

4 Likes

Does anybody use terpenes? How do you use them (internally; inhaled ie: breath them in/smell them, add to joint or bong? Ingested - ie: tincture, edibles, etc.).
I’m curious about using terpenes on their own, but also maybe if applicable to tincture or the candy making part (the pinene has a low flash point though, don’t think it can be “cooked” with). What brands or manufacturer are legitimate and trustworthy, what should I look for?

3 Likes

Look into aromatherapy and especially the safety of the essential oils.
Certainly do not use synthetic terpenes for inhalation or any other use.
Essential oils can be used for inhalation or for topical use in an ointment, cream or soap.
For edibles only a few can be used like orange oil, but in a very small amount.

5 Likes

Just found this thread as i searched for SOURCE Turbo ExtractCraft , now i had a lot of reading to do.

2 Likes

Great Thread! I just bookmarked this as a reference. @ReikoX

1 Like

8 grams Zainbow flowers in Everclear. I left the lid off for about 24 hours to reduce a bit. I just tried maybe 1/4 teaspoon and instantly felt relaxed and comfortably high like I would off a bowl or two. Thank you @ReikoX

One thing I wish I got pictures off and I will next time was this orange hash looking stuff that got caught in the 200 micron bag I bought off Amazon when I strained the herb out the tincture. I collected as much as I could from the bag and reintroduced. Does anyone have pictures of what plant fats, lipids, and waxes look like when separated from Everclear?

4 Likes

190 proof everclear? You didn’t burn the shit out of your mouth under your tongue?
Search this thread for “crud”, I posted some pics.

1 Like

It was very warm I think it didn’t burn because I left the jar open for so long, had I not probably would have hurt myself. I was concerned for a second because such a small amount made my stomach kind of grumble and move around but I attribute that now to just being hungry.

I decarbed in a mason jar and it retained more volatile terpenes than expected. As a result I became concerned that the terpenes combined with the high proof liquor may be damage my stomach. In the end all good, just gotta take on a full stomach or dilute. Robust Orange terps :grin:

1 Like