Options for a Meanwell driver I was gifted?

Yep, that’s how I build mine. From the driver to the light is 14 awg lamp cord and from there splits to the 18 awg solid core. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

Exactly. This particular driver only puts out 1.4 amps max, so 14 ga on a relatively short run is fine.

Some drivers put out a lot more amps for larger parallel setup, so in those cases, or for longer runs of wire, you might need heavier ga wire.

The necessary wire size is determined solely by the amps flowing through the wire, and the length of the wire. In this case, voltage does not matter.

When ever you have more amps OR longer wire runs, you need larger wires sizes to prevent voltage drop and heating in the wire itself.

2 Likes

Thanks ya’ll. This is cool information as I have tons of stranded from 6 to 24 all day long. Most all my VDC experience involved Industrial high voltage/high amperage, so I’d never seen sold wire used in anything but signal input.

I do have a fan, on the floor blowing up through the canopy. I do this because of humidity. the down fall is right here and forward heat will be sketchy this time of year. Just a few more weeks though and as fans leafs drop it’ll flow better again. Three or so days till slow flush, they’ll get a haircut then.

1 Like

I’m either a dumb-ass or a lucky as shit… 2700k was repeated numerous times before and during the transaction. Alas I was so gitty with my find I was too busy looking for signs of use and such I never read the label. The boards are indeed stamped same as box. Now I don’t know if I was given the wrong box or they just confused. I feel a little bad even, I got them dirt cheap because I was whining about them not being what I was really looking for, they started at 120 bux…

1 Like

Score :+1: :bulb: it should be pretty easy to tell if they are 4000K or 2700K once you hook them up. May just be the guy bought them and had no idea how to use them or what they were. He probably cut his losses and sold them on e-bay.

1 Like

At 4000k they seemed a little yellow to me I thought that white was just splash from the intensity. The guy’s just down on his luck. I bought my starter kit(tent, fan, filter and almost a light) from him for bail money a while back now these boards for his commissary.

1 Like