Pests and rock-wool question

you can allways use a pressure cooker 1 hour @ 15 psi

2 Likes

can you bake it? if it can stand up to 200* you can leave it in the oven for about 30 minutes or so and it will kill pretty much anything there. should kill eggs too, unless they’re really tough. not sure if it will melt, never tried reusing it. i’d try one and see if that works.

1 Like

rockwool is…rocks.
“Rockwool, also known as mineral wool, is typically made by melting a combination of natural rock materials such as basalt or diabase at temperatures exceeding 1600°C (2912°F). O”

1 Like

Yes baking is possible but the misses must be baked too in that case! :rofl:

No seriously, amazing solution but how?

Generally speaking unless you have weird things going on rockwool is an inert material and there are no nutrients for pests to live on. Same reason that coco growers don’t usually deal with pests that lay eggs in the soil. Dunking rockwool in water and giving it a shake will remove mature pests and hydrogen peroxide will kill eggs. You can use a 10% bleach solution but you would need to triple rinse the rockwool post dip in the diluted bleach

2 Likes

i thought you said you were reusing rockwool. put them in the oven on a baking sheet. then reuse them.

2 Likes

Boiling it would be quick and easy to do in a large soup pot.

1 Like

I have been reusing it a couple of times, baking all my rock-wool is an option i will seriously consider, thanks!

Absolutely, i have only logistical issues with that like not having such large soup pots. Cooking it in portions with these crazy gas prices here in Holland is more expensive than getting new rock-wool.

1 Like

They of course can but you can get rid of them by processing the rockwool prior of reusing it, easiest way is to boil it, but don’t overdo

1 Like

I certainly agree to boiling the rock-wool prior to reusing it being preferable, but this is practically not realizable for me. So i will buy new rock-wool and toss the old.

2 Likes

Coco was on sale so i went with it.

1 Like

what does coco cost when its on sale ?

The normal price at the local discounter for 40 galon is $15, which is a bargain. If this works i do not have to go to a growshop anymore to grow weed.

1 Like

After wetting one coco brick i am most certain this is not for me. I am going to return the rest of the bricks that are unopened.

1 Like

I’d strongly discourage you from trying to reuse your rockwool. Especially don’t bake it …. Once you saturate rockwool, if you let it completely dry out (I.e putting it in oven) it will never regain its original water holding capacity. And how do you deal with the roots from the old plant?

I’d love to get more than one run out of my rockwool, because it’s relatively expensive. Unfortunately, it’s just not a reusable medium.

2 Likes

Do you have a microwave? Wet sponges heated in the microwave have the water in them at boiling very quickly. Then its electricity cost instead of gas, and a much lower volume of water to heat.

Why is coco not for you?
It’s your call but coco is great stuff to grow in and easy to re use.

2 Likes

I’ve finished numerous runs reusing rock-wool, the only downside is the pests but other than that perfectly reusable.

2 Likes

The preparation of the blocks is a huge hassle, that is the main reason.

1 Like