Pests and rock-wool question

Hello,

I was wondering if pests can lay eggs and/or survive in reused rock-wool? I cannot really find any info about it.

1 Like

Yes I would say , no reason why they wouldn’t

3 Likes

Thank you. I feel the same way, but i would like to be a hundred procent sure before i toss my old rock-wool.

1 Like

Spinosad ???

1 Like

I would rather treat my reused rock-wool, if i could cook it but that is logistical not realistic. Or do you mean treat my rock-wool with Spinosad?

Yes treat it with spinosad

Safe for dogs

Spinosad General Fact Sheet.

When I bought some a few years ago , a guy on eBay uk was selling it in powder form , in a vile of liquid aceatone

He worked in a ant killer factory , did the job

You can also get it in liquid form specifically for plants on eBay too

2 Likes

Please enlighten me how to treat my rock-wool with it. And is it really 100% effective? If not i’d rather just get new rock-wool.

I put it in Rez and sprayed plants in veg also

The Rez I sprayed stoned one day , to kill springtails ,
So plants were sprayed , Rez was spray and I asume rock wool got it after flood

2 Likes

What kind of bugs?

In rez?? Wow sounds really handy!

Spider-mites and thrips.

I assume if you can spray plants ( they absorb some ) that in Rez /roots be fine then too ( in veg )

1 Like

Isn’t spinosad bacteria?

Edit: @ifish looks like you’re right it’s a product of the bacteria. :+1:

2 Likes

Sounds legit for sure! So is that everything you do to treat the rock-wool?

I think it’s chemicals …… made by …… bacteria

1 Like

If you can complete your grows without pests, it works.

To be honest i have yet to find any resource that is. That is why i am on the verge of tossing all my reused rock-wool, because i keep running into those buggers.

What about Jonny pot seeds ‘ one n done , if you can find ingredients in eu

I’d rather use steam or so to fry the fuckers, but i am clueless as to how. Furthermore i feel that treating the buggers while growing plants at the same time somehow compromises one of the two. I guess my best bet is just to start over with new rock-wool.