PSA - Starting Seeds

…or indoors under artificial lights, or in containers, or a single cultivar…

Granted, I try to simulate this as best I can given the “legality” of growing this plant.

Can you imagine someone growing a field of corn sprouting it in paper towels? :rofl:

7 Likes

When I have run into that situation a have been able to simply cut the tail and roots out of the paper towel and plant the entire thing. The paper towel will degrade and you don’t damage the taproot.:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Its been around three days and the seeds have all started to put out roots. I didnt take any pics of any of the earlier sets, but this is typical. Actually, they have usually had longer roots by the time I have checked them, but I may have just waited longer before. I havent been really keeping track at all.

I just put them into the mini hempy’s. They should be ready to put into the system in another week or so.

6 Likes

I have been a fan of those Harbor Freight blue towels for awhile - you can use them inside of face masks that have pockets for filters for additional protection, also.

For starting seeds I also like to use a cheap used yogurt maker that I got off of eBay for 3 bucks with no lid. You can put rockwool cubes or peat pellets in the holders where the yogurt containers are supposed to go. Put water in the wells now and then to prevent the pellets or cubes from drying out. You can also put a shot glass filled with water in to one of the wells and put seeds in there for faster propagation. I have also placed seeds on a paper towel, and then rolled up the wet towel like a snake, and put the rolled up towel in to a well. The slight heating that is thermostatically controlled is just perfect for getting those seeds started. As I said, I got mine off of eBay, and I have seen them often in thrift stores, and garage sales, or you can ask around among your friends and family - one of them may have a used one they don’t use anymore since the fad of making your own yogurt comes and goes.

4 Likes

As I am discovering,straight water and drop them in seems to work best.

Less than 24hrs

7 Likes

yes I always soak them first, and then in to the towels. Some seeds are more stubborn than others, also. The yogurt maker is like that cupcake pan but it’s slightly heated, which will help with the propagation as well.

Here is the type of yogurt maker I was referring to:
s-l640

when you find them at thrift shops they are usually missing the lid, which is ok, you don’t really need it, though it might come in handy as a humidity dome if it still has one.

9 Likes

Hey brother I find I’m once again killing seed after seed try every way that I can imagine to lower the mortality rate,to no avail, could really appreciate any direction, peace

2 Likes

I’ve had terrible germ rates every time I’ve just put them in soil, like 40% if weed seeds were priced like vegetable seeds sure, but these little mfs expensive.

1 Like

I’ve had issues this winter too. Over watered, too cold, and too hot a media. I’m going back to root riot cubes or similar.

4 Likes

Soak #1 pots. As if a full size plant is growing in them. Nearly to runoff. Broadcast 1/4" compost. Re-wet surface. Push seed into compost layer and cover 3/4" deep. Mulch. Come back in 2-3 weeks depending on light cycle and transplant to final pot.

Last 3 runs were 100 100 and 100. No you won’t find anyone else who’s even tried this method. It’s too scary to wake up from years of misinfo and wasted resources.

Show me a breeder who sells seeds and has a how-to guide on his website before talking whit about my free advice. Yall worried about the price of seeds yet keep propping up the scam.

I have had the best germ rates with damping a folded paper towel, I like the blue ones too. Btw… and then placing seed in the seem of the fold of towel. And putting the paper towel with seeds in a ziploc. Little to no air. Then I place the bag in a flat box and hang it vertically. This way the tails are always pointed down and are straight.

3 Likes

I’ll stick with the tried and true soak in water move to paper towel then to solo cup or rapid root plug depending on if I’m doing soil or hydro. I don’t have the time wait a few weeks for a seed to sprout when I can have em going in a few days.

2 Likes

2-3 weeks is a long time. I do something similar and have leaves in 5-7 days.

3 Likes

What are you specifically struggling with? Getting them to pop a tap root or just keeping them alive after they do?

The 1st pack of seeds I bought came with these instructions and they have done me well. Monitoring the temperature is important and you shouldn’t just assume a thermostat on your seedling mat is working properly.
I started using riot rooters but recently ditched them for this method which is basically fool proof. Its DWC style I let the seedlings get 2-3 inches long in the paper towels(I hang the paper towel vertically so the seeds germinate tail down.) All you have to do is make sure the tap root has contact with water and they will be just fine.

3 Likes

Awesome,a bit of both,the first batch (4) I started in paper towels and transplanted once sprouted , they came up and the stunted almost immediately and lost two ,the other two I uppotted and are hanging in there and after about a month now are still almost an inch of tall but looking healthier everyday, stunted but seem to be coming around,super slowly,they are one Massgas seedling and one called Southern Charm from Goat and Monkey seeds,I can’t replace them took me so long to get the money together to purchase
The next batch I sowed directly into peat pellets a week or more ago and only the Massgas started to poke the tiniest bit of a tail out ,and the 4 Guerilla fume seeds haven’t even cracked so I just put them into jars of warmed distilled water with h2o2 (two drops of 3%) and put them in a cupboard above the fridge with another jar of distilled water that I keep microwaving to keep them warm , maybe tomorrow I’ll place into paper towels,I should mention that I’ve been using spring water and adjusting the ph with organic apple cider vinegar , throughout as it’s been alkaline ,and checking with ph strips(I just ran out of test strip this afternoon,may be a couple days to restock
Appreciate the help ,I won’t be able to replace any that I lose ,it was a total miracle that I even scored them babies ! And am so grateful !
Just before this mess ,I had practiced with some homemade crosses,soaked in warm water, until they cracked, placed right into the soil and they all sprouted and most took right off ,but I constantly , use different worm castings that I’ve made at home here all summer/fall till now,so I have no idea how hot things may be, idk,I wish I could,make sense,I have a fuckin brain injury and get mixed up and kinda flustered when shit goes sideways
Very grateful
Peace

1 Like

something like this is awesome

I don’t use this specific brand but ill keep it literally touching the paper towel as I germinate so I can keep the temperature right where I want it. I know soaking seeds is pretty popular and clearly works but I think in most cases it’s not needed and I kind of doubt it’s all that helpful compared to just using a paper towel.

I’m afraid that’s where my advice ends :sweat_smile: I have minimal experiance growing in soil but If i had to guess your either over watering or in too hot of soil.

The cotyledon leaves provide some food to get the seedlings going so they don’t need much.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been trying to use a basic 15% sphagnum moss 85% perlite mix to start them in and that’s where they stunted out on me, so I’ve been using a light tea in aq water solution , finally top dressed or transplanted from there ,I appreciate your help
I did transfer to paper towels in warm distilled water earlier tonight
Ive used ziplock bags in the past ,now generally mason jars ,and a third glass jar with warm water in the cupboard to radiate heat
Thank you for your help ,very grateful brother