PSA - Starting Seeds

Like many, I still pop seeds with damp paper towels. However, on a few occasions I’ve noticed the little root hairs can migrate through the plys of the paper towel; making it a challenge to remove them without damaging the fragile little roots.

I discovered these blue paper shop towels that are more woven and fabric-like. They are very durable and protective of the little babies. They are sold by Harbor Freight Tools for $2.97 but you can catch them on sale for less.

Here’s a pic:

24 Likes

Thanks for posting…helpful hints are ALWAYS OG!!! Stay safe/be well.

9 Likes

Or you could just put them in soil. Mother Nature doesn’t start seeds in paper towels, professional greenhouses (growing fruit and vegetables) don’t either. Of course, they don’t pay up to $10 per seed either.

27 Likes

harbor frieght also has a decent price on infra red thermometers and nitrile gloves, I like the 9mil

5 Likes

I found coffee filters work really well for this too.

6 Likes

Are you talking about a place online that sells seeds? I’m hunting for seeds but they don’t sell them in my state yet

3 Likes

When you can find them. My HF sells out of them as fast as they get them. It’s just a matter of “Right Place at the Right Time”

2 Likes

You are right about that. I usually wait until they go on sale because they will have a lot in stock. I get a bunch so I don’t have to pay attention.

1 Like

Not now though. I used to buy nitrile gloves, though not the thick ones, from Fry’s Electronics (all you west coast folks know what I am talking about) for a couple of bucks a box, which are now selling for $25 USD. Started buying them last year from HF (closer and now don’t have to mail order - Fry’s by me closed) but since the KunFlu hit, they never have them to have them on sale. I think I am going to camp out (literally) in front of my HF soon as I am down to only a couple of pairs and I ain’t gonna miss out on a shipment.

4 Likes

A couple of months ago I put three seeds in a jar of tap water and forgot about them for three or four days. When I finally checked, all of them had put out tap roots, so I put them in my usual small perlite hempy cups to sprout. All of them did fine.

So, I have been doing it that way ever since and it has worked 100% for the last 12 or or so seeds I have started.

No towels. no baggies, no heater. Just toss the seeds into a jar of tap water on a shelf (not even in the dark), and wait and few days.

Ive only been doing it this way for a couple of months while I experiment with some new nozzles in my AA system. These were all seeds I didnt particularly want to grow, so I was willing to sacrifice them to try to improve my AA system. I just tossed three more seeds into a jar, so we will see if the trend continues.

6 Likes

Interesting. I will watch for an update.

Barely open near me… fookin Kites where they used to have the cpu’s, motherboards, and memory nailed to the wall.

I did find a 4ft piece of heat-shrink. Barely any in stock. :smile:

1 Like

I had a Frye’s a couple miles away. That place was nice to have near. They carry so many things you can’t get in a lot of big box stores.

1 Like

@Kingmambo I will need to try a roll of those towels!

Anyone looking for Nitrile gloves try Napa Auto. I ordered some both online, and they have had them instore. They have been open, I guess, as an essential business.

1 Like

you check the local hydro shop lately ?

1 Like

Do you have to get them from your state ? Why not just buy them online ? There are plenty of stateside seedbanks out there

3 Likes

Mother nature also doesn’t grow in buckets of nutrient controlled, pH adjusted water :smile:

4 Likes

of course not…

Pure heresy, woodland creatures fertilizing mother natures perfect creation, its where you must draw the line.

1 Like

hey C&W - PM me with your address and I will gift you a few beans.
be helpful if you know what you like to smoke - blues, purples, etc…
my hydro gal is offering Tropical Grape and GMOxApple Jacks cuts…

• seems everyone is slinging poly hybrids these days…
1 Like