Quick question molasses and PPM

found this info years ago i think is very valuable by 3lb the “three little birds”

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Im somewhat new to weed growing, but not tea brewing, and soil building. Personally, I would never reach for a bottle of molasses, dilute it, and then apply it to my root zone. two cents

1 Like

Thanks for that busjoe , got a feeling I read that years ago but had forgotten all about it
Cheers

1 Like

Everyone has different points of view, its a nightmare deciding

1 Like

What I’m going to do it start a novices grow diary, so hopefully you lot will contribute to that.
Cheers

1 Like

That’s the journey. The travels of weed growing merely reflect your jaunt thru life. Hearing differing points of view, and being able to process that info as it pertains to your position on the chessboard.

You’ve heard people mention they use it raw with success, check out their journals. I also saw it used in a tea by others, this is tried and true, just brew and apply. Then you heard me say i wont use it raw.

Some of the best advice i have been given is:

Like i mentioned, there are many others that dwarf my cannabis skills, but i will pitch in where i can, best of luck with the grow.

+1 @Mr.Sparkle. I use molasses from late veg thru to harvest, mostly for Mg & Ca boost. It feeds them microbes too. PPM wise @Billynoshoes, for regular, un-sulfured, (not Blackstrap) my calc shows 13 Mag, 21 Cal, 21 Sulfur & 5.28 Boron at a rate if 1 ml/gal. I add it to the bucket after the nutes are mixed.

4 Likes

Think my problem is I plan out the baby steps really well, then when actually taking them I might get a little bit to stoned, something will happen that’s hasn’t been planned for or taken into consideration and I just go ,AH FUCK IT, That will do, and act on instinct. Many A time I’ve lay in bed thinking, what the fuck did I do that for.

2 Likes

I’m with you all the way there yooper64 mate, then you blind me a bit with the science, what’s a calc? and does ml/gal mean 1 millimetre per gallon?
Sorry for been a pain

this is nothing new for the beginner, we have been inundated with potbro science, and some of that has its place. but, there is no substitute for the time spent with your hands in the dirt, and your nose in the books, which should be easy with a worldwide quarantine in effect;)

we have all fallen victim to: pour in! expect instant results:o then see the bad and the ugly of the overzealous pour :frowning:

as i sed its a journey, get a drink, your helmet, and some comfortable shoes, make the journey a fun one

@Mr.Sparkle, I’ve been thru a couple of your threads, partially because you are a micro grow guy. I also have a mini grow set-up. I want you to swing by this thread I just started, don’t know why it doesn’t show up in the micro grow feed, but here’s the link if you would Chronicles of a madman, over a dozen strains. Looking forward to chopping it up with you

1 Like

I tried molasses side by side, on two clones, off two clones. Honestly, I could not tell the difference side by side.

regards,

mike

Edit. When I say I tried it on two plants side by side. what I was trying to say was that the plants were in the flowering stages when I used the molasses on the plants. I just want to make that clear to everyone.

regards,

mike

6 Likes

It’s a spreadsheet I devised, that calculates PPM’s of each salt/mineral in 1 gal. H2O. But, I discovered between posts, that it’s inaccurate for Molasses. The percentages on the label are based on Daily Nutritional Values, not a % by weight. I’ve been using my incorrect ppm’s for 3 yrs. with good results and will continue to do so. If anyone cares… 1 ml/gal. contains 14 mg Potassium, 2.25 mg Magnesium, 6.4 mg Calcium, .16 mg Iron & 1.67 mg Sodium. No pain, just embarrassment.

4 Likes

I was around when the The Three little Birds posted that up, and it caused an uproar for a while. However for myself, I found their initial posted up molasses amounts to be very high.
My gardens will always a jar of Black Strap, on the shelf, when used proper, it is a cheap and wonderful additive. It is not a miracle cure for anything, but another tool.

4 Likes

Thats a very important thing bout molasses too!
Last run i had a fusarium explosion right after apply molasses to the soil…
Feeding the bad guys is definitely possible even if not so common…

Yeah Tim Wilson rocks! His recipe is the only one i follow!

7 Likes

I’ve used back strap molasses in my brows but only usually during last few weeks of flower (usually a few feedings of it before I start flushing) but have never used it for cloning have always been told that if cloning gel is not available that honey is next best thing.

7 Likes

Raw honey works great for cloning, but in reality the weed will root on it’s own given the proper environment. I’ve seen people use a cup of water.

8 Likes

Very true have done it with just cups of water , just seems to take longer for me.

6 Likes

I always cut my clones,put them in a bowl of water and give the stem a light scrape with an exacto blade,then put them in a cup of water with a cap of peroxide and root bumps show in 4 or 5 days.as soon as root bumps show i put them in their cups or pots with a damp soil and then let it dry out a day or two and mist the leaves…my mom always clipped vines and ivy and put them in a glass of water and they rooted,so thats how i started cloning 25 years ago.still works for me today.

2 Likes

Not to boast, but since the late 90’s til now, I’m in the 90% range for cloning. Cut it and LIFTA! With my different methods of cloning, I’ve noted it will root in time or die quik. I’ve had cuttings root after 10 days but the plant retains health n vigor.

1 Like