Reversing male plants to judge female/smoking qualities

I was reading that icmag thread posted in the OP, and one user posted this neat, cannabis specific study on the timing of ethephon application from 2020, I’ll reupload it here

Effect of Timing of Ethephon Treatment on the Formation of Female Flowers and Seeds from Male …pdf (788.2 KB)

6 Likes

Right on @ChongoBongo , thanks for that! I tried experimenting with ratios and application timing to reverse males a couple yrs ago with poor results. Now I can put that bottle of Florel that’s been sitting in the fridge back to work.
:grin::v:

6 Likes

Seems this thread jeeps going 2 years between updates. I wonder why it never auto closes :thinking:

4 Likes

It’s a good reminder to show how the things are drifting badly. Let’s bet that 5 years later, no one will believe that males are not herms. And herms not males ^^

3 Likes

Your outlook on this is astonishingly skewed and ignorant. You can register a males structure of himself and his flowers and amongst reversing him you can find out everything else. No plant can you know how dominant its genes are and or how things will play out unless you are using bx/ibl/selfed geneologies. Upon reversing a male or few(for example keepers for breeding rightfully selected from 4 packs or more) as a male you’ll learn as much as most do about males. When reversed you learn about how he translates into female. Smell taste potency color and in that you’d learn what male phenotypes are the female phenotypes counterpart. It is not a short cut. It is the long way to get from point a to point be. But it’s the beginning of finding out as much about a boy as possible! From there it takes breeding multiple boys to the same females and testing the seeds for comparison thank you very much

2 Likes

Damn dude, why being so rude like that. I’ve nothing against radical opinions but in your absolutism you forget that breeding is not a script, but dealing with chaos.

Always the same recurrent hate for all kind of accumulation of experience. It’s not against you in particular, it look like a new trend.

Your sentence can work, but only if it’s the very first time you grow the line and that you know strictly nothing on the P1.

You only learn what a specific triggered male herm can output. Take a breath and think twice : is it logic in your mind to test a monœcious product to build a secured segregative opinion on a dioecious product ? ^^

Why not, it’s a strategy like another. The most important is what is telling your cone at the end.

2 Likes

What happens when you sprout the seeds from reversed males? I.e what do you get? I can see this could be a useful tool for repeated
selfing without the risks of increasing the proportion of hermies per generation like you get with reversing fems.

Also it at least gives an idea of the traits the male may be carrying, even if it takes another generation to see how they shake out, otherwise all you have is structure and pollen yeild to go by and that’s flying half blind. The major impediment to efficient breeding In dioecious plants is lack of trait visibility in half of the breeding stock. I’m not seeing why all the negatives on this idea.

2 Likes

33% females, 66% males

Looking at the females from a male s1 should in theory show which male is homozygous for trait/s being observed…

Many claim to have tried it, and have strong opinions about it, none have shown squat :man_shrugging:

Theory pans out though.

7 Likes

Interesting, that’s good to know thanks🙏

3 Likes

I have heard this from shabud also…he seems to be doing pretty well in this business so I’m gonna respect his opinion and techniques.
I like one strain he sold me and the male/males were quite.stinky and actually gav me a buzz when smoked even though I disnt try reversing it.
(Pineapple thai)

3 Likes

Sure thing boss

2 Likes

Anon was repeatedly adamant that it was a waste of time that would bare no benefit. Never believe anything unless you research the opposite of your beliefs in order to know both sides of a story before pushing your thoughts or ideals on anyone else.
Males we know the least about. Females are all face value. Yes you never know how a male breeds etc but in captivity with controlled selection you want to choose the few best growing plants of both male and female, breed all males to all females (on different tagged branches) and grow those seeds to see how well each male paired with each female. With reversing males and learning as much about them during reversal just to see what he does looks and smells like you can begin to study the actions and see if there are common denominators in the progeny. You can begin to see what traits you seem to be controlling if you have studied males in every way like breeders should PLUS studying him in his female form. Males are the enexplored ocean of cannabis cultivation and reversing males is our hypothetical submarine. Yes I used that as an example. The ocean is unforgiving but fortunately the plant can be studied without all the threats of danger. So maybe it’s the long way to study a male or some who practice it might say it’s the only or best way to study a male… because you can compare its progeny to what you learned and see what common denominations there are AFTER studying males as good as every other breeder and then some.

6 Likes

I understand the philosophy behind , but if you transform it in a methodology … you just create another layer of randomization of your selection.

Smoking a male herm, or even a female herm is not a “hiden high tech secret” to outperform the standards. And it have been done since decades before we find a way to recycle them in a new product for the masses. Naturally, herms never helped to improve anything but the rate of specimens to cull.

2 Likes

At one point it’s binary and you have to choose what’s the real goal of the efforts : working on to output the strongest herms, or working to output the best females. The interaction is a mirage, strong herms can easily become exponentials, the best females need generally a long genetic safe funnel to be “released” as a breeder’s promise (not the “buy 500 seeds and maybe you will get the specimen fitting with the level described ^^”).

2 Likes

In theory it’s possible to take your “Super Male” & make it a “Super Duper Male”!:right_anger_bubble:?

It seems no one has solid information so I’ve taken my time to email 707 directly and hope to fuck they have some solid info (if they are willing to share to me)

2 Likes

Hi guys. I dont want to ruffle any feathers but I can tell you what I have seen “ first hand”. I have a poly-hybrid that I have been breeding for 20 years. I would breed it with every new strain that I acquired. It must be a cross of 50 distinct strains. Eventually I found a plant that declared itself to be male and then produced 3 female flowers. This was the most resinous plant I have ever seen. The whole plant was covered with resin glands. Even the male flowers. So I bred him to his sisters. Now I always get at least 1 of these resinous intersex males every time I pop seeds. I keep breeding them with their sisters and the females keep becoming more resinous. The females are perfectly normal and show no intersex traits but are covered in resin glands. Anyway, that is what I have seen. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes