Seed popping comments

Continuing the discussion from BOG Blue Kush preservation run grown under a Mars FC 8000:

Your biggest mistake (suggestion?) is using a paper towel and then allowing the radicle to grow longer than poking it’s tail out before planting it. I recently had 100% germination of a C99 backcross I did 21 years ago.

Good luck, and here’s my archive on seed germ:

Germinating Cannabis Seeds (for Bio Growers)

Your seedlings will be alot better off if you germinate directly in soil less handling and mechanical disturbance means less chance of physical damage to the plant’s taproot (and roothairs) and less food reserves used to position itself due to the natural hormonal influence called Gravitropism that spells seedling VIGOR.

This is my foolproof method for Cannabis Seed Germination in soil:

First, if harvesting seeds from my own crosses, I air dry newly harvested seeds for a couple of weeks, and then store them in the refrigerator with a little rice. Cold treatment seems to increase viability and germination rates, especially with indica dom strains. I almost always get a 100% germination rate with quality seedstock.

Soak the seeds in plain water for at least 12 hours prior to planting to hydrate them, which will speed up germination. In general, good seeds will sink, bad seeds will remain floating (they contain air, not an embryo). I first sterilize seeds in a bleach solution (1 Tbsp. bleach/1 gallon of water) for 1/2 hour to kill any fungus residing on the seedcoat. Dump the sanitizing solution and top off your glass with clean water, you do not need to rinse those seeds.

Sterilize enough damp fine soil with heat to germinate all of your seeds. You can do this by treating the damp soil to temps of (no more than) 200F for 20 mins in a conventional oven, or in a microwave oven on high for 2 minutes, while stirring a couple of times, or pouring boiling water thru the mix. Your goal is to get and hold the entire soil mix’s temperature at 170F to 180F for about 20 minutes which can be monitored with a probe type thermometer. Let the mix cool thoroughly. This will insure that damp off fungus spores have been killed in the soil mix. Make sure the soil mix is light and humusy (not real coarse). You can add a little sand or vermiculite to aid in drainage and weight. Stay away from perlite, it has a nasty habit of floating out of the mix (if you do indeed need to water later).

Buy some white 20oz styrofoam “drinking glasses”, commonly called “Styro Cups”, and punch holes in the bottom (and side bottom) for drainage. I use a red hot ice pick for this. These containers are 6 1/2" tall and will allow ample room for the taproot to grow before cotyledon emergence which will increase your seedling’s vigor. The taproot (radicle) is already at least 4" long at the point of emergence don’t restrict it in order to maximize seedling growth rate. Styro Cups can be found on the shelf displaying picnic items at your local grocery store.

Fill the pots almost to the top with your soil mix, water well to settle the mix, take a pencil and make a small hole about 1/4" to 1/2" deep, NO deeper, and drop one seed in. Cover the seed with fine soil, only enough to top up the hole, firm lightly with your finger, and lightly water until water runs freely thru the drain holes. Place in a warm spot around 80F/26C. Do NOT cover the cup with saran wrap or anything else. The seed has been hydrated from the soaking and will germinate soon. This container should not require further watering until the seedling is up and running.

During the first couple of days, mist the top soil surface lightly if need be, never allowing the top to crust over, but not to the point that the medium stays waterlogged which will invite pythium rot. “Less is more” at this point. Do NOT water this pot any more until the seedling is up, and only if it needs it at the point of emergence and do NOT mist the seedling once it is up as you’re inviting damp off disease if you do. Again, no need to cover with plastic wrap as the radicle (taproot) will grow at least 4" before the cotyledons emerge from the soil. IOW, even though you can’t see it, the plant’s root is seeking and finding moisture at the container’s lower soil levels. I cannot emphasize this enough. The seedling will emerge anywhere from 2 to 10 days from the time you sow it.

That’s all to it! With good care, your faves will be ready to transplant within 1 to 2 weeks, and will easily slip out of the “cup” with a solid rootball that will never know it’s been disturbed if potted up gently and quickly. Move up to a final pot of 3 to 5 gallons to sex and finish.

Good luck,
Uncle Ben

29 Likes

Also, the use of transparent pots will invite an algae bloom which will feed on the N in your mix.

Couple of weeks ago I germed a bunch of indicas and just a note I mixed Osmocote Indoor/Outdoor Plus 5 month food into the top inch, poked a hole, and dropped the seed in. I have also fed them a mild Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro solution since then. They are receiving full sun thru a large greenhouse wall vent, guillotine type which drops down 4’ on the south side.

My faves will go into 3 gallon pots treated with MicroKote to finish out. I root prune all my plants/trees including very large tropical fruit trees using systems such as RootMaker.

5 Likes

While I appreciate the comment I disagree. My method works just fine. 12 out of 13 seeds in this batch popped and seedlings are growing fine. The issues with BMR were seed issues, not technique issues. Every seed placed in with them thrived, just not the BMR.

Now I understand the stance of going straight into soil or in my case coco. It does give the least chance of damaging anything, it’s just not the method I use. Nice write up though. Thanks for that.

28 Likes

I am not usually one to follow, but Doug is not the average bear.

:raising_hand_man: Here!
:v:

6 Likes

@DougDawson. That was a heck of a lot nicer than I would have been regarding that comment.
@OldUncleBen throwing down some man-splaining to an experienced cultivator.
I saw plenty of suggestions over the course of the BMR attempt, but this one just feels like a know it all.

7 Likes

Lol, yeah it’s always nice when folks start a comment with “Your biggest mistake”. Even funnier is this is my Blue Kush thread and these little ones had no issues so I would have thought at the very least that comment belonged in the BMR thread. It’s cool, all opinions welcome.

14 Likes

It was good for a few chuckles, tho.
I never soak my seeds in water. I wet a paper towel put my seeds in there. Put towel in a plastic Ziploc. On top of the refrigerator. Tomorrow or the next day, nearly 100%. I can’t remember the last time I did not get a good result.
But that’s just me.

6 Likes

“First thing you need to do, is learn to trust me!”

6 Likes

Big ups to Doug for maintaining his leader mindset and never putting out bad vibes nor making anyone feel like a stranger.

The world would be a better place if more people had online persona’s like Doug Dawson.

16 Likes

True dat!
I’m sure our buddy was not trying to say his way is the only way, and everything else sucks. It was just worded a little odd. With the “your first mistake” section. It’s all good.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing the same as you for the past 33 years as a cultivator.
only difference is my fridge doesn’t seem very warm on top so I use my digital TV box instead.
It gets pretty warm so I take the ziplocs with the seeds and wrap them in a small bath towel and then place that on the TV box. Seems about the perfect temps in my situation.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can see doing all that extra stuff, if your regular method refuses to produce. But I have not had to do anything special. Maybe I’m just lucky???
Yeah, that’s it. All my beautiful plants think so too.

3 Likes

For sure! Language is ambiguous at the least, and everyone has a different mode and form of communication. It can be hard enough to post to an online forum, where all external eyes are judging you, without receiving negative feedback. Big props to all those who maintain their composure and dignity while remaining supportive of the wider diaspora and their disparate opinions!
:v:

11 Likes

It’s all good and thanks for the kind words. I am sure the dude was just trying to help which I appreciate.

8 Likes

Glad it’s working out for you, and yes I am trying to help out. I’m also not politically correct, never have been. You’re doing fine, but again, I’m just not going to risk damaging the root radicle prefering to let nature take its course. Been doing this for 40 something years FWIW. The biggest indicator that you have a viable embryo versus an air pocket is when the seed sinks during a 24 hour soak. Like folks wanting feedback that “everything is OK” with the paper towel method, the first “it’s OK” visual, a comfirmation if you will, is when the seed sinks.

Again I refer back to what the norm is in the normal commercial nursery biz, which is, direct sowing of the seed without any human intervention.

BTW, your handle sounds familiar. Don’t you and I go way back, like the Overgrow days? Or was it RIU? I was an active grower and poster even before there was the Vbulletin forums like OG and Cannabis World. Was a mod of the first one for a while, the infamous Cannabis.com.

Just took this shot. 2 are tomatoes.

UB

15 Likes

Tent and all is looking good. Good luck

1 Like

I only came to forums when it became legal in Canada so I don’t believe we have conversed but nice to meet you. I don’t really go by seeds sinking myself. 2 of the 13 seeds I am growing sank, the rest were still floating after 24hrs. Theyb
were still quite viable. I get not wanting to damage the tap root and it makes sense. It’s one of the reasons I use the paper towel I do. It’s very tough and not very absorbent. Never had a tap root get stuck on it like folks see when using standard stuff. To each their own, sowing straight into the ground is how nature does it so can’t argue that it’s a good way to go. I just prefer the visual I get from my method.

12 Likes

Yep, it’s about the visuals for many and you’re right, that embryo might be a dead baby.

Guess I’m anal because it goes further than that which I mentioned in my archive - “Your seedlings will be a lot better off if you germinate directly in soil, less handling and mechanical disturbance means less chance of physical damage to the plant’s taproot (and roothairs) and less food reserves used to position itself due to the natural hormonal influence called Gravitropism that spells seedling VIGOR.”

Here’s one of my old threads from 2009. Last time I checked it was way over a million views. Mods butchered the valuable photos but there’s some good discussions in there never the less. Uncle Ben's Topping Technique to Get 2 or 4 Main Colas | Rollitup

I even address another bad (and typical forum) paradigm or practice on page 2 - “leafing” aka defoliating. Since folks like Da Visuals, check out page 3. I also grow outdoors, or used to.

"I do two harvests as a workaround plus I make sure that my plants have reflective panels ALWAYS adjacent to them, they are mobile and moved according to the garden footprint.

I harvest the heavy colas which is about 1/2 down from the top and then move the plant back under the lights to bulk up the airy lower buds. You’d be surprised as to how much more bud you can get doing this, but, you have to have good healthy leaves left at the bottom too, and most “flush” their plants ruining the very unit that produces the buds! Quite funny really.

UB"

Much luck to your new garden.

Uncle Ben

3 Likes

Well that explains where we have seen each other before, lol. I spent most of my time on RiU prior to finding OG.

That’s what I thought. I just looked up your old handle. I registered recently under the handle Old Uncle Ben at Troll-It-Up. Every damn forum has stolen my old handle. That’s the way some of these jerks roll.

Since you may be wondering, I was banned by potroast for my conservative political views.

1 Like