Shantibaba the Magictrick to test a breedermale

Hey guys.
I Think i got something, thats very interesting for our breeding guys (so for me too).
I didnt even knew about that, so maybe i just make a thread, right?

I did catched up a podcast from our guy Shantibaba (Mr Nice and CBD CREW), and he told the folks what he did, from the beginning, in his career with Neville to be “safe” if u really got a “real” male in front of you, thats worth ur time, ressources and the efford.

He said, it was really the end of things, if u fucked up just once in the early days… So u never get a purchase again (customer - Bad things spread sfast), makes sense.

He used ethylene to spray his males down!

Its X Y… BUT IF THIS MALE STARTS DEVELOPING SEEDS… THEN its NOT a TRUE MALE
so to be sure, to NOT PASS ON Herm traits, thats PERFECT to “doublecheck” and be sure, u have a true and good male thats good for breeding. DONT USE THIS MALE!

I really hope that is news to someone here, and iam not the only guy who’s mind blows and he didnt even thought about that.
Thats the goal of this Thread, to spread education!

so, where we can buy ethylene in europe? :smiley:

14 Likes

Well… Perhaps Shanti did that at start, but definitively not since sometime ago.
In the Mr.Nice forum threads many people says about hermis from him… And all get flamed by the Shanti inconditionals. But I had also hermies from Mr.Nice, so… Well… Take your own conclusions.

And, by the way, did he said ethylene o ethefon?

Ethylene is for senescence and mature fruits.
Ethefon is a hormone used to make the male flowers turn female (and other many things)

21 Likes

I would think that ethylene would encourage any female traits to the surface if they exist and isn’t ethefon for actually reversing males? I could see the effects giving different results so it’s an interesting concept.

8 Likes

that’s not really necessary, as progeny testing is where you can see
and will find out if your male gave up what you hoped him to do so.
(because you weren’t just looking for him to not herm, correct? :wink: )

all this stuff you can do beforehand is nice gimmicks … but the
progeny-test can’t be skipped to be sure of actual results, imho.

shanti’s word is not ignorant, but also not what
i would deem the pinneacle of breeding-tips …

MNS had reports of hermies in their lines
thoughout the entire place’s excistence.

38 Likes

you can also clone males and light stress them to check stability. funky erratic lighting cycles will make the hermie ones show.

6 Likes

As mentioned, stress testing your male and the progeny is the real “trick”

This is one tool of many to accomplish the ultimate goal, stress and intersex testing

7 Likes

This “method” from Shanti is not stresstesting, its testing if it will produce seeds or not,
if jes this male is not a true male.
THE MALE SHOULD NOT CONTAIN 1 SINGLE SEED OR ITS A BAD PLANT
litteraly.

U spray them down like u would a female plant for feminized pollen.

But okay, if thats not that great of a tool? Then maybe i understood it wrong.

Iam intresting in this Medicine Man
Its white rhino, some of you guys had that strain before? Was there any problems like hermies?

I did selected my first 2 males in my first breeding run.
Savage Hulk F2
Headbanger

I stresstested the shit out of them, they were stable not 1 single stigma, calyx nothing. Im so happy with it, i thought this “shanti experiment” would be the ultimate test, but i was wrong then ill guess?
@santero
I understood this as the last “testing” if ur selected ur male and want it for breeding, u take a cutting and do this thing to see if this male will produce seeds in him self after spraying him down?

I still don’t think I’ll ever understand why people are so obsessed with avoiding intersex traits. Some of the most sought after and legendary cannabis wouldn’t exist without intersex traits. Of course I don’t grow for the market, so I guess I don’t see a random seed or two in my buds as something to be concerned about.

8 Likes

Because i want produce fire genetics and grow them, i dont wanna crouch everyday in my tent and see if i got every banana u know?

5 Likes

In my mind, whether or not a plant shows intersex traits does not define if its fire or not. Smell, taste, effects, smokability, pest and disease resistance, are all so far above sexual stability in my opinion. I’d rather have amazing weed that tends to herm than something less amazing that was selected because it was stable. Also, I enjoy 10 to 15 free S1 seeds of my favorite weed every harvest. If I cropped for sale on the market my feelings on this issue would probably be different. Anyway, I just realized I’ve gotten your helpful thread off topic. My apologies!

9 Likes

Idk man. Nanner ridden buds taste like shit.

3 Likes

Thats why i also said intersex testing

I didnt say its a bad tool, i said its one of many

2 Likes

I totally agree If something throws nanners on every flower site or is so severely intersex that every bud is full of those under developed micro seeds that crackle when you smoke it of course that’s undesirable and nit worth growing much less keeping. I’m talking about the notion of discarding a line because of a few random nanners on a lower site or two.

6 Likes

I think you understand it well.
I think it is a good tool, it should eliminate intersex traits from the male side.

What you are really doing is finding a stable male by trying to reverse him and if he will not reverse then he should be stable.
Pair that with a female that will not reverse and you have a winning couple, but do these plants have the traits you desire and will they pass them on is a whole other ball of wax.

Good tool good trick. :wink:

Thanks
shag

9 Likes

I’m gonna probably say something controversial here. To a large extent imho in a breeding population the males don’t really matter. I mean beyond culling the obvious weak ones, when you say plant a hundred plants, you cull the weedy males and only keep the seeds from the best females, and then you rinse and repeat. In this way you can genetically improve your entire population, males and females. The only other way is through prodgeny testing, as you can only tell very little just by looking at the male.

3 Likes

I mean… in that case your just ignoring half your genetics by using whatever males and only the good females. Might as well use the crap females too because you’re likely doing that on the male side already.

9 Likes

This is me.

And that’s why they’re all clone only’s too, and why we don’t have proper seed lines of them. If proper work was done, maybe we could have both :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

But that’s not how the maths works. If you are selecting primarily from your females in a population, and progressively doing this over generations, then you are selecting the best combinations, which is more important than selecting individual plants. This is the bulk selection method.

7 Likes

You’re selecting half the best combinations, yes.

I would at least be picking only the males that look and smell just like the winning females… maybe that’s just me.

10 Likes