Slow growth and yellowing leaves on seedling

@MicroDoser how do you run with no medium? What holds the seedling/plant?

You guys are never going to believe what I found today!

I came home and measured my solution with the hydroton in it and the pH has gone from 3.8 to 5.8. I know you guys didnā€™t see that one coming. :wink:

The plant is definitely taking off now so I guess Iā€™m just going to have to work my way through rather risk transplanting. Iā€™ve never seen it rise over 6.5. How big of an issue would that be? Not looking for max yield but want to maintain potency.

If I can get through this grow. Then Iā€™ll rinse and soak the shit out of the hydroton after harvest and get it good before starting the next. Unless I can find a better medium between now and then.

3 Likes

whaddabout perlite/vermiculite 50/50 mix?

:evergreen_tree:(hydro-dummy)
c.s

Iā€™ve never worked with either. Are they truly inert? They both look like their granules are small? Would they tend to fall through the net pot or otherwise make a mess?

2 Likes

Yes neither would I suggest for a water farm. Youā€™ll be fine with the clay once it gets broke in a bit. Rinse repeat.

4 Likes

Thanks @LED_Seedz. Iā€™m pretty much stuck with the clay for now anyhow since the plant is growing well. Not sure if you noticed the tag (or could read my crappy writing) but that is your Strawberry Cream that has managed to survive my faux pas and seems to be thriving now. Praying itā€™s female so I can try it.

3 Likes

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

17 days later and it is looking much better. Thanks everyone! The pH rose to 7.2 once but it seems to be holding steady at 6.2 now. Just hoping it ends up female.

4 Likes

Iā€™d get that PH closer to 5.7 to 5.9 and not any higher. Other wise your locking out nutrition your plant needs.

2 Likes

Will do. Iā€™ve been trying not to add pH down every other day if it was below 6.5. I thought that was the max recommended.

1 Like

You can see from this graphic that calcium is completely locked out above 5.8 as well as K, and Mn.
:wink:

6 Likes

I wasnt doubting you at all. You know your shit 100 times better than I do. I just didnā€™t know 6.3 was still too high. Thanks for the graph. I hadnā€™t seen that before and it speaks volumes. Great reference!

2 Likes

No sir i didnā€™t think you were. I just wanted to give you and anyone else reading some food for thought.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that my post a couple days ago with the pic was also when I switched it to flower. Following @LED_Seedz recommendation, I lowered the pH to 5.7 yesterday. Today it measured 5.9. So far so good.

One thing about this grow is that I have the opposite issue that most people have with temps. This is in an unfinished portion of my basement that stays pretty cool. My thermometer is showing a high of 75 and a low of 63 in the tent and the water is 61.3 with the lights off. Anything I should be concerned about?

1 Like

Yes 63 is a bit low. I like it no lower than about 67 That said it may be whatā€™s keeping your temps in check lights on. Tough call.

Maybe try wrapping the bucket in some sort of insulation wrap and see if it can stay cool enough lights on.

2 Likes

Sorry, I must have missed your post.

What I do is root with aeroponics then you have a small plant with bare roots which goes straight into flat bottomed guttering. The guttering has a lid with a small hole which helps it stay stood.

Then when it is larger and wants to fall out of the guttering, I put up some fencing for it to grow through and support it.

Boom! There it is! Thanks @LED_Seedz! Goinā€™ right in oleskoolā€™s big red book of acquired knowledge!

2 Likes

Here is another one

and another which is not so ā€˜digitalā€™ although still not as detailed as I would like. I am also unsure if this is soil or hydroā€¦

and a handy flow chart

2 Likes

I am on day 11 of 12/12 and I canā€™t see any sign of sex yet. There are also no alternating nodes yet. She sure is bushy as hell though.

After reviewing the bottom photo it seems to show a small white hair a little left of center but I didnā€™t notice it when taking the photo and I canā€™t find it after the fact for the life of me.

3 Likes

Your plant is too young then. You should wait until the plant shows it is ready to express sexually before you try to get it to do so.

3 Likes