SolStrip LED lighting: Product info and announcements

I think once the pennies allow it I’m going to buy one of your kits @Baudelaire. Looks perfect to get rid of my homemade cob light. The price is very tempting tbh.

The diy kit is the one for me I think.
Deffo a future purchase.

Love all the hard work and additions with each gen.

Making it hard to keep my hps with watching all you guys crush it with solstrips.

1 Like

I keep hearing about people ditching their hps for solstrips, but have not seen a true test of equivalent runs - @Baudelaire, do you know who some of the guys are running a 600 or 1k equivalent of solstrips? Any grow logs you can point me towards?

I prefer to scrog, so if penetration of led is an issue it will be less so with me. Would like to have some real user data though. Big investment.

3 Likes

See I was thinking get the diy kit to try for my veg.

If it’s great make a 600w equivalent solstrips rig and try one room vs my 600w hps.

I have 2 identical rooms but…it I loose out on medicine then that’s not good.:nauseated_face:

All the same cuttings.

Only true fair test in my opinion @Baudelaire

But that’s time and quite an investment. When money is tight atm.

1 Like

I see a whole lot of guys crushing it in micro with solstrips. In fact they look like pretty much the perfect light for the application. In terms of growing bigger plants that have some thick canopy on them, I have not seen an equivalent comparison yet.

If you do it, I’ll happily capitalize on that experience :wink:

I run air cooled hoods, and could potentially build the heat sinks into those. Replace the glass with a sheet of aluminum and weld/mount some heat sinks onto the back; then run a fan on low. But I really need to be damn sure of:

A) how many would it take to replace a 600-watter, and a 1000-watter in terms of getting the most out of the plants
B) there is a 5-year or better payback on that investment

HIDs cost a lot in hydro, but they work damn well…

2 Likes

These are all the questions I have to lower the cost of my grow but keep the way I growth same. I.e no scrog.

But I know very little on the subject @anon58740919 would probably have much more valuable in put than me to put in.

1 Like

A 36" SolStix Rack with 7 X2s or 5 X3 strips with a 320w driver is roughly equivalent to a 600 hps over a 2x4 ft footprint. Except that you get twice the effective useful light output with 40% less electricity and 60% less waste heat.

Most HPS growers that fire up a SolStrip rig just put their old gear in a box and never look back. Its not much of a contest - kind of like going from kerosene lamps to electric bulbs. But there’s quite a few grow logs here on OG using SolStrip systems, you can judge for yourself:

7 Likes

@Baudelaire
Thank you for the reply.I feel honoured

You are a true hero of mine some of your fine creations has eased mine and many fiends pain for many years and i owe you such a debt of gratitude.

As soon as possible I will be ordering some and making a rig for my veg room. Alsonsome FDM seeds. Thoughtbyou sisappeared after i left uk420.

My area is 1.2m x 1m for veg how many strips would I need for that? Sorry for my ignorance but I know nothing about led. But more flower for less power sounds amazing.

Kinda sick of the hps heat and the fan noise involved. I can see the7bwork its just harsh to change a old habit and sonethingnyou kniwbhas worked for so long. But I must embrace progress.

Thank you for ESB, C99 (FDM) and GD some of the finest cannabis I have ever had theboleasure of growing

3 Likes

Sadly my first run with the Solstrips didn’t work out…my first time with RDWC and I ended up with some root issues… however I am happy to report I am onto round 2 and the strips are doing amazing… I am running X-Sheets in replacement of HID… I had a huge learning curve with my girls as LED requires a much higher room them then HID did… however once I got that dialed int he growth and vigor has been insane…this is a dripper coco in 2 gallon square pots 2/3 filled… I Am just setting up the nets so everything is a bit of a mess, I did one side the other day and was just starting the other when the pictures were taken… these plants are 7 days into flower… a mix of Diesel and Blueberry Cheesecake … just some feminized seeds I picked up locally…quite the variety in phenotype, from tall and lanky to short and bushy . it really caught me off gaurd on how much warmer these lights needed room temps to be 84F with no C02, any cooler and the leaves showed really weird nutrient deficiencies…I am running GH 3 part with the occasional addition of Jack’s Calcnit …I am running 50/50 RO with tap, nutrient EC of 1.4-1.6 and a PH of 5.5…room humidity is currently at 62% and of course 84F …I use a Iponics 624 to control the room and will be adding C02 tomorrow … Anyways SolSheetX are for real, they grow awesome and once you get past the part of adding heaters to the room the growth is definitely better and faster then HID, no question at all whatsoever.

13 Likes

@bongedtobits cheers mate. I second what @baudelaire says. HPS and solstrips both work on around a 70/30 ratio of light to heat. HPS with 70 heat and 30 photons. Solstrips with 70 photons and 30 heat. Imo it’s a silly idea to not run LED in this day and age.

@nitro glad this run is going better for you. I think it’s safe to say the issues with your last run didn’t stem from your lighting bro

4 Likes

You won’t regret it @Bongedtobits it’s the best grow purchase I’ve ever made. :+1: I’ve been away for 4 days and the frost has more than doubled in that time. I only wish I’d bough my solstrips sooner.

5 Likes

Hi @HappyHemper :blush: check out my grow. Its 1x1m area with Four plants from seeds. I built my solstrip Light and its equivalent for a 1000w Hps. Its a first grow Under this Light :blush: it might Something you are looking for…

This is the build

3 Likes

I wish these things were around 20yrs ago. The Mrs just got around 8oz from a green crack auto in a 2’ x 4’ tent lit by 9 Solstrips running at only 240w :astonished:

4 Likes

I need some help or clarificatrion guys.

I’m running my new 3 Solstrips x2 2700K @ 100 watt system.

At that power the strips run at 33 watts each or so. If temperatures are fine, would it be best to have the light as close to the canopy? or should I try to keep it at 12 inches? I ask because I am using them between 4 and 6 inches from the canopy and temepratures are fine.

Here’s the plant after 1 week of flower
Any though @Baudelaire ?

2 Likes

for optimum use of all available light, 12" is perfect, it’s not about the temp as much as it’s about where the best light for them is.

1 Like

I wonder.

What kind of yield as in gpw are you guys getting with youw Solstrip fixtures?

Hey there!

First grow with my rack got me this much

Grass monkey test got me this much

And the most recent grow got me this many

6 Likes

I run mine close to the lights, about 6-8". I am limited on height. The bad part about running so close is getting full coverage on the canopy. If the whole plant is getting light, go for it!

My first grow with quantum boards I was around 1.3-1.5gpw.

Same tech so this would apply to solstrips as well.

Individual results may vary based on environment, genetics and grower skill. Some strains won’t ever produce a lot. Like OGs

I’m going to be building a new veg and bud chamber soon and am really considering these for veg.

Could i just grab a couple SolStrips and hang them without heatsinks? I’d put a 250W hps in the same space with no cooling besides ambient ventilation no problem, so I figure these should make way less heat?

Also is the only difference between the x2 and x3 the type of driver used?

Very cool product!

Scissor hanz c99 x romberry x Jesus OG got me 9oz single plant in a 2x4ft tent. Using a Chinese 480w driver so probably actually outputting about 400w

2 Likes