SolStrip LED lighting: Product info and announcements

You’ll probably want to reduce it to under 50% bro, especially in early veg. So i take it your driver is going straight to full output when you don’t have the dimmer wires connected to anything?

2 Likes

Yes mate. The pot will allow me to dial it back and give more control for the veg phase although I’m also running a 60x60x90 tent with 4 strips running at 120w that I veg out in then when I feel they are ready I move them over to the main. Sort of semi perpetual growing.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me bro :thumbsup:

@Esrgood4u just a thought mate, are you allowing for driver loss when you say 647W cos that big driver could easily lose 47W in waste heat.

3 Likes

Thanks @Albannach. I’ve put a lot of time and cash into getting it this way. There is always something more that needs to be bought tho isn’t there?? :rofl:

4 Likes

No prob bro.It just strikes me as a bit odd cos B version drivers are usually very close to stated output. It tends to be the A version that puts out more than specified at max. Driver loss is usually around 10% for meanwell’s so that could account for the extra being drawn from the mains eh.

3 Likes

Maybe. I’ll still install the dimmer and dial it back to 600 just to be safe as solstrips need to be imported now as no UK supplier anymore. Same light but running on a 480w Chinese driver and only a single row instead of two bolted together gave me way over 1gpw last grow from 8 plants.

3 Likes

It’s good practice to run them below max so worth doing eh. You don’t gain much more light above 70%, mostly just heat. If your power meter is on the line feeding your driver (like most of us have) it will also show the total being drawn which includes that 10% that’s being lost in heat by the driver. You probably are right on your 50W per strip you were aiming for but it’s good to be able to adjust it without pissing around with a wee screwdriver every time :laughing:

Good luck with the grow, sounds like you have it sussed now bro :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Yep it’s on the ac side so your prob correct. No pots on this driver so nowhere to put a screwdriver to adjust anything :rofl: I’m sure it self regulates somehow when a Potentiometer isn’t connected

3 Likes

I cracked the driver issue. It wasn’t due to cable size/length being wrong. I tried a 2ft length between driver and rig, got 344W draw. I then tried a 13ft length and got a draw of 343W so the extra 11ft only lost me 1W.

It was that dam inline socket i fitted to it, it’s brand new and heavy rated but it somehow has a high resistance. I’m kicking myself for not checking that earlier but i ruled it out and left the dam thing fitted even though i tried the driver with a different rig.

7 Likes

Sparky my ass :rofl: jokes. Glad it’s sorted @Albannach. Now my turn :rofl:

3 Likes

Never assume anything with electrics bro, even when everything is brand new :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah trust me I don’t take any electric chances. I’ve done a few 1st fixes without fault but I’ve also had a shock from buzz bars once before. I now ask for advice with electric as that fing hurt :rofl:

3 Likes

lol at least your here to tell the tale. I used to get loads from the high tension spark plug leads on petrol cars. Arc wielder cables lying in puddles was always a good one too. I’m just glad i survived the era of changing fuse wire in those old boxes lol

3 Likes

Long jump my arse. Try a direct mains jump :rofl: your ok if standing on a ladder or rubber sole boots :rofl:it beats the heart beat speed you get from any amphetamine :rofl:

3 Likes

That old familiar buzz going up your arm can sometimes give you a whole new outlook on life bro. I sometimes used to hang on to an HT lead while tuning an idling car engine then ask a passing apprentice to hand me a spanner :grin: Some just got a tingle but sometimes you’d get a real live one who’d do a version of St Vitus’s dance. I was a mean bastard back then :joy:

3 Likes

It hurt but I never got burned so I feel lucky :+1:anyways. I thought I was passed touching electric. Haha ERM… maybe I’m now. It’s sat stable at 650w so hopefully one pot fitted it’s just a twist and forget :wink: knowing my luck not likely though :rofl:

2 Likes

You’ll do just fine with pot bro :wink: everything else is sorted now so that’ll be the final touch :thumbsup:

2 Likes

I’ll blame you from my hospital bed :rofl: jokes! Thank @Albannach. Between you, @anon58740919, @Baudelaire and @ReikoX I may hit 45 :wink: you all helped me in a big way. :+1:

2 Likes

Haha 45 is a doddle bro, i’m fast approaching 50 but some days i feel more like 80 :head_bandage: Hope @Baudelaire doesn’t get pissed off with us filling his thread with our banter. I suppose some of it is vaguely applicable lol, he could always drop in and tell us to bugger off i suppose :laughing:

We’re happy to help a fellow grower bro and we’ve all had help at times too.

I’m off to roll a fat one now, catch you later eh :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Enjoy the remainder of your night bro. Thanks again. :+1:

2 Likes