SolStrip LED lighting: Product info and announcements

Do you mean shorting the dimmer leads or connecting them to a capacitor? Think i read somewhere these drivers go to max if the dimmer leads were open circuit but i’m not sure about that one. I have a 9 strip rig too so i might try driving that with the HLG 320 B to see if that makes much difference.

1 Like

How long, and what guage wire between the driver and the LED (DC side)? You can get a voltage drop at around a meter…

3 Likes

The lead is 3 meters long, it is 2mm so 12 awg, It’s high current stuff for DC rated at 21A and the connector is rated 25A so it’s not lightly to be voltage drop. It seems the driver is holding the current down for some reason. I’ll connect it to my 9 strip rig in a bit but if it still wont produce a decent output it’s going back :thumbsup:

This is the cable.

The connector.

Ok i double checked the 100K pot, no prob there. Then i tried it with my 9 strip rig and it’s drawing 270W, an increase of 10 whole watts :laughing: Taking driver loss into account that’s about 245W so about 27W per strip, from a 320W driver!

The Mrs rig uses an HLG-240H B and it draws 263W, it has no problem driving any of our rigs at 240W. Looks like i have a faulty HLG-320H B, it’s internal regulator must be way off. It’s going back.

Would have been nice to hear what @Baudelaire thinks in case i’m missing something obvious here :wink:

2 Likes

3 meters is way too long IME. Try a short (<1 meter) cord and see if it improves…

3 Likes

I’ve just rewired mine today as it kept drifting downward to 540 ish Watts. Ive shortened every wire.
I’d been using solar crimp connectors to make the connections but now I’ve removed them and soldered them instead. The longest length of cable on the LED side is around 50cm. This seems to have fixed my problem but now she’s running at 647w. The meanwell I have has no way to dial them back as no pots to adjust it. Hoping once the driver warms up it drops down a little :+1: time will tell.

4 Likes

The cable is way over spec for what it’s carrying so it cant be voltage drop. An HLG-320H (should) put out around 13A at max, the cable is rated for 21A. You could run 50 feet of the stuff and get no meaningful voltage drop with that much of an overhead.

That same rig with an HLG-240H A draws 330W at max so i’m getting just over 300W.

To make doubly sure i tried swapping drivers with my Mrs rig. Her HLG-240H B draws the same as with her 9 strip rig. 263W. I know it’s very rare but it has to be a faulty driver bro.

3 Likes

How many strips are you driving bro?

1 Like

If you swapped drivers then I would contact Mean Well and get a replacement.

2 Likes

12 mate. They running at around 53w each at the minute. I was aiming for around 50w. I may have to buy a dimmer for it. :+1:

2 Likes

I sent a message to the seller (ebay) so it’s wait and see. I’m wondering if it’s been a return that’s been repackaged and sold on again. Tthe dimmer wires were slightly uneven lengths and the tinning didn’t look quite as neat as usual with factory produced goods.

1 Like

Yeh your pushing them there bro but if you can keep them cool enough they should take it.For a while anyway.

You could always fit a longer cable again to drop the voltage a touch :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve got 2 fans running at full blasting the top of them. I’ll figure something out. It got the wires on the driver for a dimmer so may just solder a resistor between them for now :+1:

2 Likes

You could try a 95K resistor bro, that should get you close but a cheap 100K pot would be better eh.

2 Likes

I’ll order one from eBay now @Albannach. The driver is supposedly a 600w not 650 :rofl:

2 Likes

An HLG-240 H A put’s out just over 300W because of our 240V mains so not really surprising i suppose. What driver are you using bro, is it an open frame meanwell? If you have to order a resistor why not just get a wee 100K pot then you can trim it to whatever you want.

2 Likes

It’s a hlg-600h-24b

4 Likes

I’d go with a 100K pot for that one bro. How are you getting it to go full output without a pot or fixed resistor btw?

3 Likes

I’ve just ordered a pot mate. For £2 it’s not worth all the hassle of swapping resistors if I require more power.

2 Likes

You’ll be glad you did cos when it comes to vegging, they canny take it capt’n :grin:

2 Likes

It’s running at full lol it’s just as well I’m nearing the end of bloom so the extra heat and light is working as an advantage at the minute. I tried joining the dimmer wires to see if it would limit it but it just cut all power. The pot will be an advantage for next run as in veg I won’t require anywhere near the 600w

2 Likes