SolStrip LED lighting: Product info and announcements

Any information on what size solstrip light to properly light a 4 x 4 flower room I tried to find a contact email on the website but could not find it

5 Likes

I use a 12 strip two row x2 solstrips rig running on a 600w meanwell in my 4x4 tent mate. Each strip runs at 50w. Works excellent for me and covers the entire tent the way I have it set up.
For better efficiency I could likely add 2-4 more strips but it’s not a necessity at the moment :+1:

7 Likes

I’m starting to get concerned since I have gotten nothing from solstrip since they confirmed my order and took my money. Has slow shipping been others’ experience? I kinda need this light, soon!

2 Likes

I didn’t have any troubles with slow shipping. Are you getting a DIY kit or assembled units ? I think he starts assembly of the units after your payment is received.

2 Likes

We are very much around and very busy filling orders. The California wildfires a couple of weeks back forced a few days of blackouts that put us a bit behind but we are working hard to catch up. In any case, it is best to email us at Solstrip.com with your order number and name when inquiring about orders. I don’t know who anyone is here at OG relative to their real names, and will not divulge customer information here out of respect for members’ privacy. I’m always available at sales@solstrip.com.

16 Likes

Hey @Baudelaire, I’ll be sure to email you at Solstrip.com but since I was here, thought I’d start this ball rolling. I bought the Solsheet X with the 185 watt driver, the prefabricated version a while back and its been working AWESOME! I have NO complaints and think you have a fine product and a solid company. Having said that, I recently ran into a problem with my lamp. I was trying to adjust the height of the lamp in relation to my canopy and instead of messing with the wires and shortening them with the lamp above my plants, I disconnected the screw off power cable and removed the lamp to adjust it, leaving the driver and cables where they were. I finished my adjustment and then started to screw the cable back into the part that is connected to the lamp part and noticed what sounded like a scratching sound. I stopped trying to screw it together and unplugged the driver from the power strip. That’s when I noticed the smell of burnt rubber. UH OH, I thought! Well, if it was burnt out it would not turn on, I thought, and after a visual inspection of the fixture itself, I decided to turn it on and keep my fingers crossed. I turned it on and it turned on at first, then dimmed slightly and then the mechanism that is between the power supply and the fan started to smoke real bad and I unplugged the whole thing immediately! Apparently I fried the fan controller thing…so I took the clear cover off and cut the fan from the wiring and taped off those ends and its running fine now, at least by my eyes and thoughts, but it doesn’t have the fan working and I left the cover off to allow the heat to escape the strips. MY QUESTION TO YOU IS CAN I BUY FROM YOU THE THING THAT I FRIED? DO I NEED TO HAVE THAT THING IF I KEEP THE COVER OFF AND ANOTHER FAN BLOWING ON THE LED’s themselves? I also noticed what the cause was. The connector has a little notch that is supposed to prevent one from plugging the thing in backwards but on mine not only is the notch REALLY small, making it easy to plug it in backwards anyways, but one of the connectors pins, the brass parts that insert into the female end, is longer than the insulation and so it negates any safety protocol in place because, as I found out, all you hafta do is simply rub the two unconnected ends and that long pin can hit the wrong terminal and cause that scratching blow out! I have pictures of it all as well and will include them in the company email I send you…
Thanks for any help with this as I LOVE using this lamp & would hate to lose it!

2 Likes

Hey @randrobertson522 , happy to hear you’ve enjoyed your SolSheet.

Yes, you fried your step-down convertor that moderates the power sent to the fan by forcing the connector together and reversing the voltage to your lamp. The notched connector should have provided some indication and resistance to you, but it’s not the first time it has happened. It’s hard to make these things foolproof.

The good news is that the smoking convertor kept you from frying your entire lamp. And, it’s easy and cheap to replace.

I engineered the SolSheet to handle extended periods of operation without the need for a fan. You’ve done the right thing by removing the acrylic cover and snipping the fan leads. As long as you control temps and ventilation within your grow space, the SolSheet will run just fine. In the long run though, you’ll want to replace the fan circuit - it will extend the life of your LEDs.

You can fix it two ways: order a new fan assembly from us, it’s $10 + a couple bucks shipping in the US, $15 overseas. Or, if you can solder and want to do it yourself, find a “LM2596” step-down convertor on Ebay, Amazon, AliExpress, etc. Usually can be found for less than a couple bucks. Just solder the new one in place of the old, and use a voltmeter to set the output to 12v. Use some heat resistant silicon to attach it to the housing - plug in correctly, and you should be back in business.

8 Likes

Awesome man! I was REALLY happy I didn’t fry the strips! Soldering isn’t my strong point so when the holidays are over I’ll prolly just order one of those fan assemblies from you…Thanks for the prompt reply!

2 Likes

A double SolSheet X setup run off a single HLG-480H-24A driver will fill a 4x4 with avg PPFD of 970 at 18" above the canopy. Our most popular rig setup at the moment.

3 Likes

So then two of the solsheet x setups and just the one driver sorry the led stuff is all new to me

2 Likes

I had issues uploading my post, going to try again

So here is Crop #3 with my SolSheet X setup…currently running 10 SolSheet X, C02 injected… grow area is only 10" x 6’9" …I am at day 46 into flower, lots showing near ripeness based on Trichrome colors… starting to see some slight powdery mildew, so will do a wash with some water/.peroxide … this time I have a good mix of plants, half the room from proven cuts the other half from various seeds I have purchased or collected, 20 plants in total … I’m still looking for the sweet spot between Temp/C02/Humidity… the LED and C02 require higher temps but by how much… harvesting 10 different strains in one harvest doesn’t help either, what’s ideal for one is too hot for another… Either way in the end Im pretty happy with what I am seeing, the broad spectrum of different Terpene profiles is exciting and I am looking forward to pressing and dabbing samples from each one.

15 Likes

12 Likes

Very nice @nitro.

Note that Nitro is achieving these results using SolSheet X’s running at only about 180w per lamp, rather than the typical 250-300w most growers run them at. We offer the X’s with an HLG-185H driver, and an HLG-320H driver split into two power leads, for this purpose. Despite being less expensive, and being able to deliver these results, we don’t sell many in this configuration. More isn’t always better…

6 Likes

And you know I am borderline too much light, I actually had to back my lights up a bit as I was seeing some early signs of light stress. Now of course I have quite a few panels in a relatively small area but that was my idea, to have as close to a 100% light canopy as possible …I have my rows at 30’ x10’ on each side of the room with 5 panels on each side… I was intending to add 2 more panels but I don’t think it’s needed …

4 Likes

@Baudelaire is your driver recommendation in your photonics blog the same for the solstix x3 as the discussed solstrips? It seems the strips and stix have the exact same operating parameters.

2 Likes

Same, in the sense that they both use the same diodes. But the X3 has 33% more diodes than the X2 strips that @nitro is using, so they draw 80w vs the X2’s 58w. The only difference between the stix and the strips is the addition of a custom-fitted heatsink, allowing the SolStix to be used in our Rack kits.

5 Likes

I finally got my rack put together. Had to order the m3 screws to attach the heat sinks and strips to the rack, the screws that came with it needed to be twice as long.

Running the red/blue and the center strip off a 120w meanwell driver, the other 6 stix are run off the 240w driver.

@baudelaire is there a digital dimmer youd recommend? If not digital, how about a manual one for the b series drivers? The one I got with the driver from Led supply seems ok, but also doesnt seem great.

Also, if I’m wiring the meanwell to 220v, whats the right way to do it since there’s only 1 hot wire on the driver and 220 is going to come in with 2 hots and a neutral? Similar thinking in trying to work thru on wiring up the sonoff gear off of 220 w 2 hot wires and only 1 hot input on the sonoffs.

10 Likes

Hey @Baudelaire. I hope all is well. I have a quick question. Does Solstrip have any plans to make a UVA-B strip? There seem to be a lot of people incorporating UVA-B lights into their grows, probably for increased resin production, but UV light has also been shown to kill PM, which is my primary concern ATM. Still, increased resin production is nice too. :slight_smile:

L8R Baud :vulcan:
G

5 Likes

@Baudelaire- also, should I be running the far red all the time or just when lights go off? Ive read different things about the far red spectrum and want to get it right.

2 Likes