Some other stuff from cola

Scaled in - If the gibes/ways aren’t smooth flat. We would take a perfectly flat plat and cover with lay out blue (a blue spotting past) than ran across the surface were the blue stick/show we gently hit them with a grinder. Than repeated many time to come out with a smooth surface. Also called scraping.

We did this with all component steel bottom before assemble also.

Sorry if I am not clear. That is why I never wanted to train apprentices as I am a doer not a teach with no patience. That is just another reason I have nothing but respect for @ReikoX. He explains so well and if you don’t get it he tries another way for us. He is a Saint as far as I am concerned like my first Journeyman.

4 Likes

I’m the same. Doer not a teacher. I can relay odd bits of information.
Scraping or flatting we would call that here. Some may even call it truing. But I get what you mean now. @ReikoX is a good guy. Knowledgeable too. And as you know much better than most at explaining. Lol

8 Likes

Awe, you got me blushing over here :blush:

3 Likes

Bad points to the day…
I should be on a beach right now. But one single number destroyed an entire holiday. The number 9.

The Mrs in her haste booked the flights for 2019 :no_mouth: now they’re not refundable. So guess where we’re going next year…
Positives are. We managed to get a refund on the hotel which means we can still go away on a last minute booking once we see something suitable.

And some stuff for my CNC conversion came.

Always end on a positive.

6 Likes

Plenty of affordable hotels here bro and a grower pal has that wee boat i showed you weeks ago so i could probably arrange fishing trips with some of the best gear we can procure between us :thinking: Best i can do at short notice :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Good ol’ prussian blue.

Gingery lathe is still on my bucket list just because.

Love the progress @anon58740919

Still need to get off my arse and make this work. Need new Ball screws. slight deflection binds it up across the travel on the gantry.

6 Likes

Nice bro. I didn’t want to go gantry style for those reasons. I had issues with the laser engraving dropping off centre and that had no weight to the Z to throw it off.

What program is running that @Jellypowered

Even though I’ve ordered 3 motor mounts for nema23s they won’t work in my application. So I’m having to fashion some out of 75x75x6mm Ali U channel. Doesn’t help every mount needs to be different so I’ve come to the conclusion. That one at a time is the way lol.

@Albannach I appreciate the offer. But I want sun. Sea and San Miguel. I live in a valley of predimonantly shit weather anyway bro :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Couldn’t find a mount to suit so I crudely (for now to test) made one from 3" x 3" x 6mm aluminum U channel.

Still awaiting the couplers but it’s bang on anyway.

That’s how we’re looking so far. Another 2 mounts to make and each one is slightly different so need to tackle another 2 separate designs yet.

And here is the other nema 23 stepper motors. Stepper motors drivers. Breakout board. Serial cable and power supply.

Plus a 2.2kw spindle motor. (Go big or go home right) well I went home from Corfu early and I went big. That’s not why we came home early. That’s because the hotel was a dive. The people. The food and the economy were all terrible and our surroundings were a danger to our son.

That explains that…plus the air conditioning leaking above it and the refusal to swap a room.

There’s also a VFD with inverter for the spindle motor. (Which is water cooled) the fish bubble tube with exhaust brackets is going to be a section of the water cooling. Stay tuned for that. Some magic happening with a peltier module.

Still need ddr3 for the desktop but I have most parts for the conversion now.

6 Likes

I recon your like most of us bro, happiest when doing stuff in your own shed. I’m shedless these days bro so i know how it goes lol. That’s going to be a cracking mill when your done eh :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Looking good your are very skilled my brother.

3 Likes

Thanks @G-paS means a lot. Hoping this turns out as well I’m aiming for. Definitely learning a few skills to carry through life too so it’s a worthwhile project for that

@Albannach you know me too well already. Stick me in my shed with. Tools. Music and a joint I’m in my element ha

3 Likes

Milled and mounted the Y axis motor mount. Couplers have arrived but need to do some fettling to get them to do what I want.

Recycled my control box as a control box. Everything fitted just nicely.

Before you say I know the power supply is crooked but wait until you see the shambles I call wiring go in. You’ll not notice that anymore :rofl:

4 Likes

Watching with interest bro, computers aren’t really my thing but i get the basics. Low voltage wiring can look like spaghetii as long as you know whats what eh :grin:

1 Like

Referencing everyone else’s spaghetti did me no favours. If anyone references mine they will have equal amounts of trouble :rofl:. See how mine ends up won’t we lol

1 Like

Did some wiring. Tested all microstep drivers. Used a switchable power supply set to 5v for the BoB and that’s all working.

I have the option to add limit switches to X,Y and Z. and an emergency stop button too. so that will be happening.

3 Likes