Specializing in hot peppers

Just popped my very hot jalapeño’s

and Serrano pepper

10 Likes

One of the sponsors of OG, Shitseeds,sells pepper seeds as well as cannabis seeds…
https://www.shitseeds.com/shop

4 Likes

One of my favorites - Chocolate Poblano Peppers (a little spicy, a little smoky)

and the crazy hot jalapeño’s

12 Likes

I became addicted to green chile when I lived in New Mexico. I’m back in the Midwest so now I order seeds from the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University. They carry a variety of hot pepper seeds. I don’t have a great place for an outdoor garden at my new house so I grow a few in containers on my deck. This year I didn’t grow anything from the green chile pepper family because I was given a few habanero-esque plants. My friends sell starter plants at the farmers market - I believe they source their genetics from Baker Creek Heirlooms (aka rareseeds.com) - and they gave me a Scotch Bonnet, a Caribbean Red, and a Jamaican Chocolate Habanero. I threw all three into a 7 gallon fabric pot with my usual ProMix + perlite mix. They didn’t produce much before our first frost so I brought the container indoors. They pumped out quite a few after that - I ended up with a gallon’s worth of peppers.

So far I’ve made two batches of sauce: Bright Side and Dark Side. The former uses Caribbean Red chiles but has a vibrant orange color from carrots and sweetness from pineapple. The latter is dark and funky with balsamic vinegar, cloves, dark fruit (blueberries, cherries, and cranberries), and cloves - and the heat level is elevated with the Jamaican Chocolates.

Great to see this pepper discussion here!

15 Likes

I like the sound of your Dark sauce, some of my favorite flavours. Have you got a breakdown of amounts or ratios.

Some black cardamom might go nice in that as well.

2 Likes

I used 9 chiles, a couple medium carrots, two large cloves of garlic, and one package (8oz?) of dried “mixed berries” (cherry, cranberry, blueberry) from the store. I simmered vinegar in a 1:6 ratio of balsamic to white - since a little balsamic goes a very long way - added the veggies, salt, ground clove and a hint of cinnamon. After the simmer I used an immersion blender, then poured through a strainer. I added a little of the solids back so the final result wasn’t too runny. Just had to pour through a funnel into the bottles.

This batch yielded 6 woozy bottles of sauce. These are not shelf stable and require refrigeration.

7 Likes

Cheers man, I will have a bash at making that :+1:

2 Likes

i was just getting ready to order some pepper seeds for the spring. Thinking of jalepeno, serrano, pablano and either a hatch or pueblo chili variety.

3 Likes

Hi friend!! So, you put the 3 different ones in the same pot!? Only spaced them inside the pot!? Nice!!

2 Likes

Definitely in the fun zone over here! Nice. We are part of the heat loving pepper growing peeps 4 sure.

Awesome to see all the heat in these photos. We do habby’s, bonnets, cayenne, jalapeño, poblano. Among others.

Let’s make some chili today!

4 Likes

Carolinas coming along!!!

Thanks!

16 Likes

My friend and I are having a debate. We split a pack of Jalapeno seeds because he said “The soil has little impact on how hot a pepper becomes at harvest”.
I grew mine in lower quality soil (on purpose) he pampered his in a bag with enriched soil.
I believe mine are slightly hotter. His was a bigger harvest but I believe mine have the edge as far as heat.
So here’s the question. Growing in what grade of soil brings out the heat best? Or does it matter (I say it does)?
He won’t admit defeat. lol

5 Likes

@MoBilly could have to do with moisture retention that each soil has could have lead to the difference in size yield and the level of capsicum.

2 Likes

@BTG Thanks for that link. My son just ordered 24 for a 1st week in May delivery. Hot time’s a comin’ lol!

@MoBilly I don’t know about soil grades and heat, but we’ve found lower N means less leaves and more fruits.
Peppers also like a lot of Ca. We use gypsum. It also helps peppers from getting rotty ends, and tomatoes (they are in the same family, go figger!) from getting blossom end rot.
I think that the more sun, and the hotter the weather are things that effect the pepper heat, but we haven’t tried doing 1.5M drops of water to Scoville test!
I guess with Jalapenos you’d only need about 2 drops, lol!

4 Likes

My peppers are normally grown in compost and goat manure with a powdered eggshell tea a few times during the life of the plant.
I grew those in soil that was sand and black dirt from the yard as a test.
I have always heard that stress induced by poor soil and heat causes the plant to create more capsicum but had never tested the theory.

3 Likes

that´s a Trinitdad Scorpion, but it kinda got an alien Viper Face :wink:

10 Likes

I tried Chocolate Habs a couple times and haven’t gotten any fruit. Will try again!

This year, still have 2 varieties going in the greenhouse: Scotch Bonnets and White Habs.

Both are fruiting a lot and are great. I like the taste on the SBs better but the white habs do look very cool. Anyone else grown the scotch bonnets or white habs?

Just made a jerk sauce that is out of this world. I’ve been putting it on everything it’s so good.

I get all mine from rareseeds.com - used to live right near their place in Petaluma.

7 Likes

I think the heat that a pepper produces is a deterent to stop it being eaten by animals and humans, so I think it’s more stress related, but like with other plants soil PH and available nutrients will have an impact as well.

2 Likes

Yes. I have seen my brother stick toothpicks in the stems of his pepper plants to mimic a “bug attack”. He grows up some nice peppers.

2 Likes

You may have to hand pollinate them, some peppers are a bit bit fussy. You may also want to plant some pollinator attractors like zinnias, marigolds, African Blue basil, sunflowers, hyssops, and let the little buzzers do the work!

4 Likes