Sterilizing soil

For all that amount…

I suggest this…

https://www.mushroomvideos.com/pmwiki.php?n=55-Gallon-Drum-Sterilizer

or else spread it out as much as you can over tarpaulin and let the soil bake in the sun.

1 Like

pasteurize soil your soil, sterilize you containers :slight_smile:

1 Like

:grin::+1:. I’ll leave it to you guys :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

mic-drop-mic

1 Like

Would it suffice to fill a kiddie pool with the soil, cover with black plastic (trash bags?) and let it ‘bake’ in the sun. I’d think that you could get to the right temps assuming it wasn’t too cold outside… says the guy who has never done it before or performed any research :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I would not sterilize this soil or do anything. I would add some amendments and grow in it. Fungus gnats are not enough for me to think about baking soil in my oven or microwave for an hour. The only thing it could have that would be that bad is root aphids. I doubt fresh soil would have these because they want roots to eat.
Dude, 10 bags will take forever. Has anyone ever tried to bake soil? I have.
Send your wife or girlfriend away for the weekend if you do this. Or they will leave you anyway!

3 Likes

are you going to use this inside or outside? if outside, just leave it alone…

Soil solarization is an effective nonchemical way to control weeds and many diseases in planting beds. You trap solar heat under plastic sheets; the soil bakes, killing weeds and disease organisms. If maximum air temperatures stay between 85° and 95°, the process takes 6 to 8 weeks; if it’s cooler, 8 to 10 weeks.

2 Likes

I microwave the soil there are no bugs the plants grow perfectly. This website is all BRO SCIENCE

I think you would be fine putting it in your oven at the lowest temp for 2 or 3 hours. I use to do that for my mushroom substrates and worked out fine

If fungus gnats are the main concern, dry the soil out of it isn’t already dry. Leave it that way for a couple weeks. That should take care of most of the gnats, and then when you add moisture to the soil also mix in some sort of BTI to keep the gnats away. Keep ahead of it with whatever your preferred IPM program is and your microbes are untouched.

If you are worried about damping off, just pasteurize enough soil to get you seedlings going and the up pot it to the rest of it.

1 Like

I’m thinking with 15 cu.ft
To do. ozone generator is the way to go.
Does anyone know what size it would take?
As there are many sizes, and they can be very expensive.

Never heard of putting soil in the oven or microwave. I would just put on a tarp and leave in the sun for a few days. Oven I think my wife would kill me in my sleep for that !!!

2 Likes

Solar cooker for small batches

Cheers
G

1 Like