Strain recommendation request for chronic pain sufferer

Oh this was a neat paper!

Some things to note:

Roots contained between 0.001% and
0.004% cannabinoids in all three chemovars (Supplementary Table 10), which agrees with the minuscule amounts reported by other studies (0% and 0.03%)5,29.

Stem barks contained between 0.005% and 0.008% cannabinoids in all three chemovars and was found to be less than the amounts previously reported (0.02% and 0.1–0.3%)5,29.

Total cannabinoids quantified in leaves were between 1.10% and 2.10%, which agreed with the
previously-reported amounts (1–2% and 1.40–1.75%)29,53 but not others (0.05%).

Mono- and sesquiterpenoids were not detected in stem barks or roots.

Total mono- and sesquiterpenoids ranged from 0.125% to 0.278% in leaf and 1.283% to 2.141% in inforescence in the three chemovars (Supplementary Table 12), which were less than the 4% reported in unfertilized fowers in a previous study, 5.

Total sesquiterpenoid content was higher than total monoterpenoids in fan leaves in Chemovar I and Chemovar II but was comparable in Chemovar III. This observation was clearer when contents were expressed as ratios: sesquiterpenoids comprised approximately 90% of total terpenoids in Chemovar I and II and comprised 53% of the total terpenoids in Chemovar III.

1. Russo, E. B. & Marcu, J. Cannabis Pharmacology: Te Usual Suspects and a Few Promising Leads. in Cannabinoid Pharmacology
    67–134 Elsevier, https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.apha.2017.03.004 2017
  1. Upton, R. et al. Cannabis inflorescence: cannabis spp.; standards of identity, analysis, and quality control. (American Herbal
    Pharmacopoeia., 2014).
  1. Flores-Sanchez, I. J. & Verpoorte, R. Secondary metabolism in cannabis. Phytochemistry Reviews 7, 615–639 (2008).

So it looks like stems and roots are basically worthless… Missing half the terpenoids and all flavanoids and the overall content is so low as to make extraction likely not worth the effort. Leaves however seem worth it as you still get the sterols and triterpenoids that you’d get in the root/stembark but at a higher percentage :thinking:

This was also neat!

Several chemotaxonomic studies utilized this method to discriminate “Sativa” and “Indica” varieties and found that terpenoid profles are uniquely retained from their respective landrace ancestors48–50,56,58,59. The presence of more hydroxylated terpenoids in Chemovar III does not ft its reported classifcation as C. indica ssp. indica (NLD, vernacular “Sativa”), but more closely aligns with C. indica ssp. afghanica (WLD, vernacular “Indica”). Similarly, although the Chemovar I and II were reported as “Indica,” their terpenoid profles were characteristic of “Sativa” chemovars. One study found that the reported ancestry percentages of “Sativa” vs. “Indica” for 81 drug-type chemovars are only moderately correlated with the calculated genetic structure68, indicating that the vernacular classifcations do not reliably communicate genetic identity. For medicinal research and applications, cannabis chemovars should be identifed by their chemical fngerprints, which are more reliable than their names48,49,56.

1. Hazekamp, A. & Fischedick, J. T. Cannabis - from cultivar to chemovar. Drug Testing and Analysis 4, 660–667 (2012).
  1. Fischedick, J. T. Identifcation of Terpenoid Chemotypes Among High (-)-trans-Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol-Producing Cannabis
    sativa L. Cultivars. Cannabis and cannabinoid research 2, 34–47 (2017)
  1. McPartland, J. M. & Guy, G. W. Models of Cannabis Taxonomy, Cultural Bias, and Conficts between Scientifc and Vernacular
    Names. Te Botanical Review 4, 327–381 (2017).
  1. Hillig, K. W. Genetic evidence for speciation in Cannabis (Cannabaceae). Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 52, 161–180
    (2005).
  1. Fischedick, J. T., Hazekamp, A., Erkelens, T., Choi, Y. H. & Verpoorte, R. Metabolic fingerprinting of Cannabis sativa L.,
    cannabinoids and terpenoids for chemotaxonomic and drug standardization purposes. Phytochemistry 71, 2058–2073 (2010).
6 Likes

Wow! Thank you for digesting that, part of why I post this stuff is that I have a hard time actually stopping and going into the material when I see so many connections to other things I keep following them and don’t always make it back. This is a great summary!

2 Likes

I guess I’d add to this that some of the most interesting contemporary research I’m finding on some of the more medicinal uses of cannabis are coming from Chinese scientists, which makes sense given the millennia of cultural experience with cannabis and hemp for food, fiber, and medicine. I know that in Traditional Chinese Medicine hemp seed, leaf, and root is used in addition to the flowers, so I imagine these folks are doing something similar to the Indian scientists doing interesting work looking into why some ancient Ayurvedic medical treatments are effective, especially the aspects of it that say diet and herbs/spices are so important.

2 Likes

I think aged hash may be bioavailable.
If bound with a lipid, even more so.

Some medibles I make I do with coconut oil and apply minimal heat, just enough it infuse. This wont decarb much of the mass of cannabiboids, so that I get mostly bioavailable THC-A instead of just decarbed THC.
So thats one way to add to food.
For drink, either something with a lil bit of alcohol or like a smoothie with some milk (coconut or mammalian)

1 Like

When I first moved to WA I found someone from the local forum who had cancer which was taking his eyesight. So I helped him with his garden and extractions.
He came to me one day and said he felt a message that theres medicine in the roots so he dug up all the roots from harvested plants and started soaking them in various liquids like water or solvents.
A year prior, he said he felt a message that plants aren’t happy in containers so he dug up all the cement in his garage so his garden can root into the earth.

Its quite graceful how those who need the medicine the most get to communicate the best with the medicine.

4 Likes

Very good find, thank you

3 Likes

Ok I guess this is the right moment to drop a big ass paper I found and its fascinating visualizations:

Green is BLD, blue is NLD, yellow is hemp.

bpts_a_1265363_sm2630.pdf (350.6 KB) bpts_a_1265363_sm2609.pdf (271.6 KB) Genomic and Chemical Diversity in Cannabis.pdf (1.4 MB)

My one request is that someone with a subscription to Adobe Reader export those two smaller PDFs of the data visualization into JPEG and post them here, I wasn’t able to get a good screenshot, too detailed.

2 Likes

Man, 10yrs ago, those Finola seeds where everywhere

Now I cant find any

1 Like

Here ya go:

2 Likes

Oh that genomics paper :heart_eyes:
Sadly not really any auto/ruderalis tested but a large portion of other genetics were tested here.

I can’t export either visualization as they’re literally too big for acrobat to export as a photo :cry:
So I recommend everyone go look at them yourselves as each line has a strain name attached to it.
Here’s the first visualization:
KaneGBS_WGS3_02102015_str_clades.pdf (3.7 MB)

Narrow Leaf Drug Type is Blue (~70%)
Broad Leaf Drug Type is Green
SE Asian NLDT-II refers to Dr. Grinspoon and Somali Taxi Cab samples and are genetically distinct from the other narrow leaf drug type.
Broad leaflet hemp points to a Chinese hemp sample

Almost ALL the OG and Kush lines are considered broad leaf drug type, along with most cookies and chems.

The supplement to the first visualization here, you already linked in your post, Titled ‘SE Asian Narrow leaflet drug-type II’ but here’s the crappy screenshot. Also too big to export so I recommend everyone follow the link, the sm2609 one.

This one lists Neville’s Haze, NL5Haze Mist, Super Silver Haze, Dr Grinspoon, Arjan’s Ultra Haze, etc as being from SE Asian lineage! Anyone remember talk of at least one of the haze lines actually being a thai line and not from sam? :eyes:

The other takeaways I found in that paper:

Hemp and broad leaf are the most different.
Narrow and Broad are the most alike.
Hemp and Narrow are closer related than broad leaf is to hemp.

Different cannabinoid and terpene breakdown’s per the 3 types

We found NLDTs to contain significantly more b-myrcene and a-terpinolene than BLDTs, although interestingly the two hemp varieties for which we analyzed chemical data had significantly more b-myrcene than either drug-type groups (Figure 6c). Similarly, Hillig (2004) found NLDTs to yield
significantly more b-myrcene than Afghani BLDTs, yet European hemp and un-cultivated accessions labeled as C. ruderalis contained the highest levels. Hillig also reported that Afghani BLDTs contained the highest levels of guaiol and eudesmol isomers, which we did not measure, although we found BLDTs contained more linalool than NLDTs or hemp.

Edit: I feel like we should split these papers off to their own post :thinking: Tho I suppose there is some medical knowledge to be found here…

6 Likes

I’d agree with that if @TeamOG wanted to go ahead and split off a thread for something like “Current cannabis genomics research discussion”

1 Like

Also way to go @HolyAngel !

3 Likes

I’ve found that 1 ibuprofen & 1 CBD cap(40mg) seem as effective as 2 ibuprofen. :man_shrugging:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Have you looked into microdosing shrooms? Not enough to trip but still get benefits. Something to look into since you already understand how to grow mushrooms. Best of luck in your journey.

2 Likes

Growing shrooms is on my list of projects, actually. I’ve got my hands full with various horticultural projects, though, so it’s going to be a minute before I can start working on it

I get fibromyalgia sometimes…poor oxygen saturation…I’ve found that strong indicas/kushes help…

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

I have hyperacusis+tinnitus & find virtually nothing helps, but some things definitely make it worse: dehydration/inflamation, ear-plugs.

Lemon Balm(grocery store vitamin aisle) is like xanax light & lowers blood pressure some. It sorta helps.

Low volume white noise.

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

I’ve read many places that the terpene Caryophyllene has pain-numbing qualities.

Pre 98 Bubba, Sour Diesel, OG Kush, Chemdawg all are high in this terpene.
Not sure if it’s an anti-inflamation vs. nerve pain effect.

3 Likes

Pain is often caused by inflammation, some very powerful herbs that heal inflammation are nettle, mint and curcuma (comes in capsules and can add to food).

Mix them all together as a tea blend and drink two-three times a day.

Nettle is absolutely amazing once you look up the benefits, it’s a long list! Helps with sleep too.

Mint and curcuma help with digestion and gut health, and cool the body.

You can make a big batch of tea, let it all boil just briefly then let it seep until it’s cool, then strain, and you can put it in the fridge. The more nettle you add the darker it’s gonna be, can turn out black!

The cholorphyl will help detox from heavy metals and other nonsense that doesn’t belong in our bodies.

Nettle also contains building blocks for serotonin.

Also eat more mushrooms; oystermushrooms, shiitake, etc… all that beautiful delicious gourmet stuff!

10 Likes

Very cool!

What a wealth of info here! Absolutely loved reading through this thread and the studies/papers provided.

1 Like