The Canadian Contingent (Part 1)

Hi Guys, just found this petition regarding bill C10 the feds want to get pushed through in Canada.

It gives them the power to control what we see and can put on the internet. This is an infringement of civil rights and free speech and could lead to this site and any others considered not good for public viewing and participation being banned.

I have signed it if you feel the need to stand up for your rights please sign it as well.

Cheers.

https://www.taxpayer.com/petitions/stop-ottawa-from-censoring-online-government-accountability#petitions?utm_source=general&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CensorBill&utm_content=20210528__bf3ff6ce11

10 Likes

Done, thanks

3 Likes

The only way they control the internet in Canada is by charging Canadians the highest internet and mobile rates in the world.

All the same, signed.

3 Likes

That is how its being done atm. When they have this power it will change they would not be proposing it otherwise I feel.

The feds have proposed a new law, Bill C-10, and it opens the door for unelected bureaucrats to put online content under their microscope. This could hurt your ability to hold elected officials accountable online. The former vice-chair of Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications even called the bill ā€œa full-blown assaultā€ on freedom of expression and ā€œthe foundations of democracy.ā€

Do you think unelected bureaucrats in Ottawa should regulate your freedom of expression online?

Bill C-10 isnā€™t law yet so thereā€™s still time to push back.

But Parliament breaks for summer in a month, so we need to act quickly before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tries to ram through this bill before the government breaks.

Can you please contact your member of Parliament right now and let them know that you donā€™t want them rubber stamping Bill C-10?

5 Likes

@Shadey hereā€™s the actual bill if you want read what they are actually considering, nothing about ā€œbanning sitesā€ itā€™s about our past/current Canadian content requirement and updating that as the transitioning of peopleā€™s usage to web based broadcasters. Also freedom of expression or individual uploads donā€™t fall under it, this is in regards to say actual broadcasting companies.

4 Likes

Thank you for posting this @Shadey. Signed.

2 Likes

ā€œUsers of social media services who upload programs for sharing with other users, and are not affiliated with the service provider, would not be subject to broadcasting regulation in that respect.ā€

Itā€™s a dry read, but I appreciate your level headed approach to the discussion.

2 Likes

Done @Shadey thanks for posting this!

2 Likes

Cheers Mr Sparkle, I have just read it twice now, that makes Bill C-10 sound reasonable.

What is reasonable to me in regards to the bill, with what I view on the net and social media, may not be what the government considers reasonable and in the publicā€™s interest.

We have large corporations as well as the feds, trying to limit what and where we are able to see and put out there, and all though it says those uploading content and have no affiliation to the service provider will not be penalized, that puts pressure on the service provider to do the feds dirty work for them because they will be fined and or prosecuted instead if the feds decide its not acceptable in there narrow view.

In the last year there have been multiple news streaming broadcasters that have a very different idea about what our gov is doing, and contradicts a lot of the generally accepted media on the TV. I believe this is an attempt to silence critical contradictive information to their narrative.

Source.

Does Bill C-10 exclude small streaming platforms and user content from broadcast regulation and levies?

Not clearly or cleanly. Minister Guilbeault has promised the public that the Act will not be extended to any but the largest streaming platforms, and will not affect user-generated content.

But thatā€™s not what the bill actually says. As written, only streaming platforms the CRTC specifically excludes at their discretion will be exempted from regulation and levies. Any small streaming platform that wants to serve people in Canada will need to contact the CRTC and seek a judgment on whether they can be excluded, or risk facing legal consequences. Platforms who are unsure of their status and donā€™t want to enter a potentially multi-year CRTC process could easily decide to block their service in Canada altogether.

Itā€™s impossible for us to know what the CRTC thinks should or shouldnā€™t count ā€“ or if that opinion wonā€™t change over time.

And even if individual user content and the platforms that host it are excluded by the act, most platforms that host user content could still be affected. Modern streaming platforms like Youtube and Spotify increasingly contain a mix of user-generated, sponsored and platform-commissioned content, which will bring them into the Actā€™s purview and significantly change how they serve Canadian users and creators.

5 Likes

Consider their skin in the game is they will now have to apply for licencing and fall under Canadian broadcasting regulations and standards when up to this point they havenā€™t, so it will likely be doom and gloom from them just to get the public outrage going which typically those types of broadcasters your refering to are basically what all they do outrage over ā€œblankā€ .

On a greater note its always a good to cast a critical eye to over look bills and law changes incase something creates a situation where there is an actual detriment as a whole to people, and to guard that certain things arent done just to favor one group at the expense of the rest, though what one person deems a detriment will differ for another.

3 Likes

I find it ironic that a former member of the CRTC is encouraging Canadians to stand up for their broadcasting rights. Must be bad for business.

This kind of legislation reminds me of the blank media tariffs for Canadians that got worked into the copyright act. I really have to question who benefits from these regulations.

2 Likes

Peter Menzies former editor-in-chief and publisher of the Calgary herald

So donā€™t need to really say but again, skin in the game and from whom with what motives

2 Likes

I agree, they are always trying to insert trojan horses into bills that look innocent. It will be the public who will lose out with higher costs, anytime you have a gov service corporation start up, or increase its work load, it puts the costs up to pay their wages which usually get past on the customers. Just as gas did when they stopped competitive pricing and basically created a monopoly by removing general competition.

5 Likes

Damn those Maple syrup cartel hooligans i want my brown sweet rays of sunshine in liquid form cheap and plentifulā€¦ lol

Seriously though i am Canadian and love maple syrup.

8 Likes

The best maple syrup is always made by that one strange farmer down the road who bottles it in every shaped whisky bottle he can find.

Honey too. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Man I used to love doing security for the Royal Winter Fair here in Ontario. I would get bottles of the stuff from those who came to compete in the syrup contest portion of the show. MMMMMM syrup.

8 Likes

Being out west its not as plentiful out there which in unfortunate as we have pine, spruce, balsam and the like instead.

Also on topic of government mandated pricing for ā€œfarmerā€ protection even if just alot of big corps now is Cheese like fully understand the reasoning and to prevent say southern neighbours from dumping heavily government subsidised products in out market, though i would definitely be rounder if cheese was cheaper, same goes for government taxation rate on alcohol.

6 Likes

Iā€™m actually more concerned about the technical aspects of how they are going to enforce that on the internet. Balkanization is a thing.

4 Likes

Server fund raiser auction now live.

8 Likes

Not sure if anyone else is doing this; but my partner and I have been hanging an Orange shirt in our porch since the start of June in solidarity for the survivors of residential schools and the families of children buried.

Really not proud of the occupiers of this lands history. As I am a blend of two families that were fleeing either war oppression in the Baltics; or apartheid in South Africa I donā€™t tolerate this injustice very well and am privileged to be able to work with so many wonderful native youth through my place of work.

Yes: Every Child Matters.

12 Likes