The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

My plants are typically sloppy looking lol.
I let them do their thing, but only so I can see strengths and weaknesses for breeding purposes. Pruning is, hands down, the way to go.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s my Oaxaca x Lemon Thai. Itā€™s abou halfway into flower.

25 Likes

Looking good! Short pheno Oaxaca represented. Looks like a nice yield is shaping up.:ok_hand:
Howā€™s she smell?

2 Likes

@Panamajock how much more has Chocolate Oaxacan Rain stretched since that initial burst?

4 Likes

@drgreensleeves
Iā€™m ok with folks using my foto on the threadā€¦Iā€™m sure it was credited on an earlier postā€¦and it was used as an example.

Thanks for pointing it outā€¦ā€¦but not a prob.

One love

P J

3 Likes

125% ā€¦

I also been nipping and tuckingā€¦or it would be biggerā€¦she is slowing down nowā€¦and putting the energy in to flowering now.

P J

15 Likes

I like itā€¦.nice crossā€¦very Xmas :evergreen_tree: looking.

Some nice future smoke there. Enjoy :blush:

P J

2 Likes

I havenā€™t really paid any attention to the smell yet. Last time I sniffed it, it didnā€™t have any smell. Itā€™s been a neat plant. I think the LT is the more dominant in this cross. TheGoji/LT looks a little more Goji to me.

The O/LT just kept growing once flipped. Not really so much stretch as the whole plant just kept growing uniformly and doubled in size. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hereā€™s the Goji/LT for referenceā€¦

Hereā€™s the two next to each other. I think the O/LT will be the bigger yielder in the end. Goji/LT buds are swelling but not as many on the plant like the O/LT.

Peace :man_farmer: :v:

17 Likes

Great looking crosses @GMan. That Oaxaca x lemon Thai sounds fantastic.

5 Likes

I like it, the O/LT looks great the other looks nice but I like the structure of the bigger one.:green_heart:

4 Likes

Hereā€™s my Oaxacan 43 days above ground and about 4 wks 12/12 no signs of sex yet.
IMG_20230714_055533_436

13 Likes

Another week or two and you should see something. If you get a 20 weeker It could take seven or eight weeks of 12 12

6 Likes

I believe mine showed at 5 weeks.:green_heart: they look awesome, pretty soon they may look like this.image

17 Likes

Is that a pearl pheno? Or just really early flower so not much if any bud formation!

3 Likes

I might use that 4th pic as a screensaver.

1 Like

Well, early smells are sharp turpentine! Iā€™m really curious about this one. Iā€™ll try and get the seeds shucked and maybe somebody would enjoy giving it a shot. Iā€™ll make sure itā€™s good first.

It has a nice Christmas tree shape that has a nice airy structure but more bushy than the Oaxaca. I didnā€™t try and hold it back, really. Maybe a little late getting it into a bigger pot. Iā€™m interested in the flowering time. I think itā€™s gonna be shortened from the O time. LT was only around 9 Iā€™m guessing. It started flowering early and seemed finished early, too.

I think that Cryptic Oaxaca would pair well with a lot of strains. I wonder what it would be like with a hash plant like G13/hp? :thinking: :grin:

7 Likes

So is it possible to have a female preflower that is pink or purple? Itā€™s actually kinda magenta from what I can tell throw the loupe. One of my Peshawar Afghani is a male Iā€™m pretty sure gonna hang on to for a bit to make sure.lol. I donā€™t want it to be swollen calyx or something idk

4 Likes

Iā€™m still wrapping my head around the mechanisms for mould resistance, I mean obviously the more open flowers of equatorials is one part, but yeah itā€™s definitely not the whole story; some airy flowers will still mould easily and Iā€™ve see some super dense and wet all the time and still no mould. obviously some immune/resistance genetics at play, though it doesnā€™t seem to often play nice at the individual level in terms of inheritance, indicating what its most likely highly polymorphic? Acclimatisation is a pretty brutal zero sum game, you adapt or die I guess, I would think with a big enough population, say at least 500 plants, natural selection would sort itself surprisingly fast, perhaps even faster than we can from our more limited selection?

Totally it is yep :+1: pistil colour is likely a plant wide trait, and a fun one to play around with, colour later on related to leaf and flower etc. is more related to the plant senescence process, with different anthracyanins resulting in red, blue and purple colours. Cyanidin I think is the one most responsible for red so maybe the PR is high in this.

3 Likes

I see a 7 year OG anniversary giveaway thread is going. Sure seems like a good candidate, tested or notšŸ˜ it must be good!

Surely it would pair well. I bet one one the famous old strains is made from this pairing. Probably would just say G13ƗMexicanā€¦surely itā€™s worth making again. Thereā€™s gotta be hundreds of different Oaxaca lines that came here long ago, each one giving a unique twist to whatever it touched.

3 Likes

You are probably right. I was determined to keep certain phenos, no matter the cost in time.
Itā€™s interesting that the structure of the plants that I made mold resistant didnā€™t really change. They look just like they did back in ninety eight. For maybe a decade or 15 years, each year, the plants made it a little further into flower before they rotted. Then one year I picked a budlet with no rot. A year or two later I picked a cola with no rotā€¦
Then multiple colas. Finally, whole plants made it, though I always picked right when the resin went from clear to cloudy. I think theyā€™d still rot, at least some ( resistant plants)would anyway, if one waited for amber resin.
Some phenos, naturally my favorite couple, still mold a bit late in flower. As recently as 2014 I was still losing whole plants.

Pretty much. I grew some plants close to home to ensure a harvest, but always grew others remotely, and got what I got. I always seeded a branch of all my keepers. If it was killer pot, I grew it again if the seed survived., despite any mold issues. So maybe acclimatization did take longer as a result. With large populations in Panama, especially seeded populations, it would be next to impossible to keep mold prone plants alive, so perhaps my theory sucks and it is a more recent hybrid. :wink: Still had to be long enough ago for the flowering time of all phenos to even outā€¦
Seeds( husks from mature seed) and preflowers are always the first things to rot.

6 Likes