The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

The pearl phenos get nice colors at the end. Sounds like you found a real looker.

6 Likes

Old Silversides edition, three sisters pheno, plant #1. My favorite. What a beauty! Hoping itā€™s like the plant @TexasTea found. I need to fill some jars!

19 Likes

She looks like sheā€™ll yield well. :wink: Itā€™s beautiful.

Are you hanging on to any pollen from the Oaxaca? I didnā€™t even get a male last summer, ha, 5 of 5 female. I have to look for the seeds you sent me. At some point I want to grow the Oaxaca again. :man_farmer: :v:

4 Likes

Lol, or maybe itā€™s that even amongst acclimatised landrace populations maybe not all plants will be resistant, so that itā€™s difficult as a trait to lock down at the individual plant level. it makes sense your process of adaptation,
Itā€™s basically survival of the fittest but with much more pressure due to population size.

4 Likes

This is one of the most comprehensive and detailed articles about the Mexican Drug Trade that I have ever seen. For serious heads into deep dives only.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17440572.2018.1471993

8 Likes

Pretty heavy reading.

Ye ā€¦I been watching the situation here in Central America, The Corruption is spreading ā€¦from Chiapas through all the Banana republics ( Guatemala,el Salvador, Belizeā€¦Down to Colombia and South America.

Not to forget Venezuela and Honduras

Two ex presidents of Panamaā€¦(Martinelli and Varela) all Hipping. money while the Campasinos, and Gente struggle more than they have ever done.
Great to see the USA calling them out and banning them and familyā€™s entry to the USA.freezing there assets and properties in Miami. (while they swan around threatening free press in Panama etc with writsā€¦making a mockery of the Oaths about transparency they took when they took office.

They need to remember who built the foundations of Panama ( Teddy Roosevelt ) ā€¦nobody wants another Invasion( just cause) the people of Panama suffered under general Noriago. ( double FBI agent)

The Panama people just like all Central America ā€¦just want a chance to get on ā€¦and prosper

Ye there is always corruption in Goverments world overā€¦But past years is the Presidents that are the conductors. (Especially in Latam

https://www.newsroompanama.com/opinion/two-former-presidents-stain-panamas-image

Itā€™s all pretty sad ā€¦but when you see it first handā€¦itā€™s all just inhumane.

World needs turned round big time.
Indigenous farmers need protection, been used as Cannon fodder for to long.

Sorry to bring politics into the threadā€¦.But as you have read from @Motaco ā€™s post ā€¦ā€¦Politics and Cannabis are very close intertwined.

Just my thoughts

PAZ

P J

7 Likes

That reminds me of old Silverside.

In Scotland :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æ Old Silverside is a prime cut of beefā€¦roasted in the oven.

Many a scots household has this as their Sunday dinner.

You should try this alternative silversideā€¦someday @Upstate ā€¦LOL
Nice if you have the munchies, served with veg and potatoes and a nice gravy.
P J

14 Likes

So far, rain has made collecting pollen really difficult. Iā€™m trying. I have several hybrids in mind, but if I get enough pollen collected Iā€™ll think of you. I found a gorgeous male, called ā€œBig Manā€. Heā€™s the one Iā€™ve been looking to find for 3 years. Iā€™ll be hitting everything I can with him. Built like the 3 Sisters. Excellent branches, nice flower clusters.

Oh man! Smoking Old Silversides before eating Old Silverside sounds amazing! Looks like a Pot Roast. Does that sound right?

For sure. Itā€™s headed in the wrong direction.

Iā€™m thinking of visiting you without my wife, and going to find that Talamanca Landrace. You game? The poor indigenous farmers deserve better. Makes me sad, the way they are treated.
Imo, indigenous cannabis farming areas should become protected World Heritage sites, no different than something like the Great Pyramids.

8 Likes

No problemā€¦.wait till Iā€™m back from Scotlandā€¦then your welcomeā€¦

We go and hang about Bri Bri and Cahuita ā€¦.

2 Likes

More or less ā€¦bu the fat is on the top for bastingā€¦itā€™s basically a roast beef. Nice

Silverside (beef)

Article Talk

Silverside is a cut of beef from the hindquarter of cattle, just above the leg cut.[1][2] Called ā€œsilversideā€ in the UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, it gets the name because of the ā€œsilverwallā€ on the side of the cut, a long fibrous ā€œskinā€ of connective tissue (epimysium) which has to be removed as it is too tough to eat. The primary muscle is the biceps femoris.

Trimmed silverside

Silverside is boned out from the top along with the topside and thick flank. It is usually prepared as a 2nd class roasting joint.[clarification needed] It may also be thinly sliced for minute steak or beef olives, or split in two to produce a salmon-cut.

In South Africa, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, silverside is the cut of choice for corning or brining, so much so that the name ā€œsilversideā€ is often used to refer to corned beef (also called salt beef) rather than any other form of the cut.[3]The common method of preparation is being boiled and left simmering for several hours. With the addition of onions, potatoes and other vegetables this results in a meal that is effectively identical

PJ

9 Likes

So good news 1/2 Peshawar Afghani female confirmed one male confirmed. Ancestral skunk x Turkish hash plant female confirmed. This Oaxacan is female with a couple magenta preflowers this is a shorter pheno

This is unconfirmed but Iā€™m leaning towards female is the taller pheno like double the height almost
Then last Oaxacan is male :cry:. I transplanted 2 Oaxacan x red snake that were stunted because of jiffy pots that the roots couldnā€™t break through. I transplanted to solo cups and removed the peat pots and put in solos. Thought they would recover in solos but not really. I went to pull one have 5 still and to my surprise a nice white root structure even though they still look like seedlings at 6-7 weeks? Put 2 into one gal pots and in 2 days they have jumped. Why didnā€™t they jump in solos I wonderā€‹:thinking:?
Two days in a 1gal and

You may not be able to tell from my mastery of photography pics lol but 3x bigger than the solo. They were all planted same time as the big ones in my tent?

10 Likes

I know an old school trick that might work for collecting pollen in all that rain. You can cut off a healthy branch that looks like it will drop pollen in any day, then take it inside somewhere safe and put it in a flower vase. Just remove the major fan leaves. It will stay fresh for long enough to drop the pollen.

Also here is an update on the Zacatecas from @Hyp3. Absolutely lovely vigorous plant. High hopes for it. Just before repot.

27 Likes

@Upstate
Iā€™m at 35.0 and they finished way before frost here in central.oklahoma
The volunteers are huge and are gonna be much taller than the remaining generations one or f1 you sent. I saved some from last year and planted so they will back cross. Also.have some cambodian that khalifa sent me that are fems and re gonna get crossed with oaxacan

10 Likes

Niceā€¦ Looking forward to how this turns out!! :smiley:

5 Likes

I wonder the same thing, but Iā€™ve noticed this myself and have pointed out the best way to get stunted plants growing is to up pot. Plants can sense their boundaries long before any growth reaches it. They are communicating by fungal networks and these networks let them know there is more room, and I think plants that had basically given up are given a second lease on life once they realize they are not so restricted. So they decide to live and not to give up.
Glad you have at least a female of everything. The tall plant could still go either way. Fingers crossed itā€™s a female. That 1 wants to be big, so youā€™ll have to contain it unless you have the space.
That little plant needs a name by the wayšŸ˜
Tiny tim is taken lol

6 Likes

That sounds awesome! I didnā€™t realize he was Selling that 1 yet?
Youā€™re very lucky to be able to finish these outdoors! Canā€™t wait to see the Beast!

Thatā€™s a good trick. Iā€™ve done it lots of times, But I have other plants that canā€™t be pollinated by anything so I canā€™t risk it this time. Iā€™m collecting enough for myself, Just not sure Iā€™ll have extra. I usually pick the pollen sacks off just before they open and put them in wax paper that is folded over, but one end is left open for air. After a day they are open, and I remove the green portion and separate the pollen. Pretty sure we must be up well over 20 inches of rain in the last month. Itā€™s just been tough catching them when they are dry enough to do this.

5 Likes

Ok this makes sense. I wasnā€™t sure if this would work so Iā€™m glad it is so far. In 6 days they have tripled in size, they were only about 2" tall and leaf diameter about the size of a nickelā€‹:rofl:, so Iā€™m pumped. Got 2 Oaxacan x red snake transplanted hopefully can get a female out of them. I wonder since these seedlings :sob: are almost 6wks old so should the show sex as soon as they get some positive growth or does it act more of a maturity and size not just age? If that makes sense. I hope I get some beasts. Once the temps drop below oven settings Iā€™m probably gonna try and finish a couple outside! We usually donā€™t see freeze or frost until late December early January. Hopefully works out weā€™ll see. I kinda just flying by the seat of my pants.:crossed_fingers::+1:

3 Likes

Puntas

23 Likes

Great job on them ā€¦ Aplausos(1)

4 Likes