The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

Would a 12 to 14 week Highland Guerrero suffice?

9 Likes

What a beauty instig8tor! I’m having trouble feeling bad for you that it was a female haha. Great job! Lovely fade!

9 Likes

Both of your other choices look like good ones.

5 Likes

This looks like fun, I don’t know if i can sit by and patiently watch this one? But i don’t know if doing 2 at same time is smart move either? Damn might have to do some rearranging and some math to early for that now. I will get back with you later.

4 Likes

That Jamacau Aruba ceoss sounds very interesting. A lot of Columbia genetics flowed through Aruba. Should be a good one!

11 Likes

One thing I was hoping this thread would have, and it looks like Fortune is smiling. We will soon have a very special guest involved with this thread, an expert in Mexican landraces. The man that gave his special genetics to Charlie Garcia of Cannabiogen, for the making of Destroyer…

19 Likes

Fantastic! This should be fun.

10 Likes

He has 12 Fingers! And a friend has Mexican Red Hair! I cant wait to see some pictures and to learn from him. Just in our little chats on IG I have learned from him.

1. Its Verde Limon, not Limon Verde, and it is from Michoacan.
  2. Real Oaxacan can flower up to 20 weeks!
  3. He thinks the terpene profiles( spicy) match closest with African genetics, and were most likely brought over by slaves.
    I can’t wait to learn more! He has a trip planned soon, so he will be joining us a bit later on. I very much look forward to it!
21 Likes

I’ve often read that the south american landraces were african genetics that acclimatized, grew wild, and became true regional landraces.

African genetics, and were most likely brought over by slaves.

I think the more historically accurate explanation is that they were introduced by the portuguese and spanish traders who colonized that land. those nations had a long history of trade with africa and they brought the slaves to the west indies and south america / brazil.

It may be very likely that these genetics were cultivated by slaves. Historically, most slave populations were made to farm their own food, and these populations generally chose to cultivate the crops that were most familiar to them, and most similar to the crops they had cultivated in their homelands.

Any slave populations from cultures that had a history of cannabis use or use of hemp seed as a staple crop may have been very likely to grow and breed cannabis.

13 Likes

Science says Southamerican Cannabis is not indigeenous, therefore it was likely introduced.
BUT what i mean is pretty long ago, probably in Middleage . This is slightly prooven by pollenanalysis.

So, they would later adapted/became Columbian style Genetics over many Centuries…

What people speculate is that Middleamerica had later introductuons from basically all over the Globe Thai Africa India. These could therefore acted as kind of an Outcross F1. A Hybrid Species. FOR A WHILE , and after some Centuries adapting to Middleamerica again. I have never seen Proove for that, its speculated. I wish i would find closer Evidence what happend!

ACE seeds Thai x Panama:

Dr Grinspoon Barneys (alleged Southamerican x Purple Thai):

Destroyer Cannabiogen (Middleamerican x Thai):

Atleast in F1, or close to it, i think it has that Hybrid look. but cant say for certain.

23 Likes

A friend of mine just took down her Malawi. Shared the picture with me. Going to share the smoke and I am looking forward to it.

30 Likes

I have half a pack of a Guatemalan landrace from Ace from about 5 years a go. They used it in crosses and discontinued the line. I have one mother that I kept around and has been kept under a variety of conditions survived frosts! Would do a preservation run but don’t have time and space till end of next year. I used it to cross in to this year but have never actually sampled the flower. When in veg it gives off lovely lemon, wood scents. I just keep it around because I like the plant. It also grows multi-stem, no real apical dom branch like a candelabra. I’ll get to try one day hopefully.

14 Likes

Old Spanish chronicles from Mexico talk about the indigenous peoples getting rowdy from dancing next to hemp fires, circa 1550’s and suggest that something needed to be done about the situation.

Was this hemp? Probably not as we know it, as broadleaf hemp, which contains the allele required for thc production, (unlike European Hemp, )was not introduced in the New World until the 1800’s. So where did this NLD type come from? Spain’s tropical territories in the 1500’s were mainly found in the New World. The only other tropical Spanish acquisition of any significance was the Philippines. Portugal in the New World was confined to Brazil. The theory that African slaves brought genetics over is possible, but research has shown that West Africa didn’t have any cannabis cultivation until the 1940s, so it wouldn’t have been from there. So this would leave African genetics ( if indeed it was African genetics )from the southern and Eastern regions, which were exposed to cannabis at least as early as the 1200’s, when Arab and Indian traders frequented the area, and possibly much earlier, if indeed King Solomon’s goldmines were found in South Africa, which was visited by all countries as a stopover point on their journey around Cape Horn. The island of Zanzibar was a major slave trading hub, so genetics certainly could have been smuggled from here, hidden amongst the slave population. By the 1500 s, after nearly 300 years of amalgamation, African strains would have become landrace’s in their own right . It is possible that Conquistador stoners, and not slaves, were responsible for introducing NLD, though cannabis use was frowned upon by the church at the time.
I have read recently that Western Mexican landraces resemble Nepalese landraces. And I have also read that Philippines landraces resemble Nepalese landraces. So. To me, the Phillipines are one likely source of introduction, outside of Africa, amongst many other possibilities.
Escaped slaves, known as Maroons, were definitely cultivating cannabis very early on in Brazil, Panama, Mexico, and The Caribbean, specifically Jamaica and Hispaniola. Where they got their genetics from is anyone’s guess if they didn’t bring it themselves, as literally every corner of the globe was visited by either Spain, Portugal, or Great Britain. Millions of slaves were brought from Africa, and the likelihood that not one of them had some seedy Dagga in his stash seems to me quite unlikely.
And finally, to add some more pieces to the puzzle, from the 1960s onward Mexico was introduced to Tropical genetics from all over the world in abundance, as well as Temperate broadleaf genetics, making it harder than ever to decipher the truth. We may never know.

19 Likes

Escaped Slaves known as Maroons cultivated Cannabis very early on? where you got that knowledge from ? Is there enough evidence?

6 Likes

I wish I could remember where I read it. Specifically in the Brazilian Highlands I remember that there was a woman in charge of the maroon population located on top of a bluff. The Portuguese repeatedly try to dislodge these people but couldn’t do it. Marijuana was common amongst this group, and all ex slave populations. Slaves themselves were known to cultivate marijuana in between the rows of other crops to keep it hidden. I often can’t remember where I read things, because I read so much, but for certain types of facts my memory is excellent. If you read enough about these maroon people, you will see this

8 Likes

It’s not like they kept records, but I don’t think it takes any leap of the imagination when you look at the facts.

Cannabis grows well in the tropics
Portuguese/Spanish/Arab traders and sailors would have been familiar with hemp
Africans were familiar with hemp
Wherever people go, so do seeds

Even if the enslaved didn’t bring seeds with them, the Spanish and Portuguese had already introduced Cannabis, and it only takes 1 year before the new plants are making seeds to be distributed. But I also find it hard to believe at least few seeds from Africa never made it over with the millions of enslaved Africans.

Sails and rope and therefore hemp go everywhere by early 1500’s. Everyone talks about indigo, sugar, and tobacco since they were valuable cash crops but hemp was a ubiquitous crop.

12 Likes

@ did the portugeese introduce Cannabis aswell?

“wherever People go, so do seeds” you say . Is this a fact… ?

5 Likes

Yes. Wherever people went, so did seeds, germs, and rats.

Hemp was a necessary crop for sails, rope, and rigging. It happens to be useful in other ways and grows easily. Portuguese traders were active everywhere. India, Africa, New World, etc.

It may be easier to ask “why wouldn’t sailors, merchants, slaves, and farmers introduce Cannabis?” People back then were more clever and more mobile than you might think.

16 Likes

Regarding portugeese bringing in Hemp in 1500. : The term “Hemp” is used for a Cultivar that was either: breed for industrial Surpose / or semi-wild Cannabis, that was rather not breed, and just taken from wildly threaving Cannabis Plants
So, Hemp rather has low Thc, since it is breed differently. So do semi-wild Species.

But sometimes people call all sorts of Things hemp: Weak-effect cultivars or semi-wild Species are often wrongly named “Hemp” . I know that the old Cultivars from Italy (same climate as Spain) were rather low Thc, even tho they were smoked sometimes aswell i recall.

It was the portugeese Climate i believe that didnt allow for a high Thc Cultivar to form i think. So: What the portugeese brought in in 1500 could been also a weak Spanish Smoke-cultivar aswell. In either Case, often has rather low thc. Alltho theoretically every industrial hemp could have high Thc, but just theoretically, since it was not breed for that.
Could been a multi-surpose Strain aswell, but i guess rather unlikely, since often the most Fiber containing Strains arent the most psychotrope ones.

Put it: i tend to think that was a low Thc Strain.

6 Likes

It doesn’t matter if it was hemp or more psychoactive varieties. Cannabis adapts to whatever purpose you want it to.

12 Likes