The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

it didnt necessarly matter, just upstate asked about it.
Yeah, all strong Strains today deriver from alleged weak wild species . It is rather unknown how long it takes for a Strain to change to psychedelic weed… 50, 100, 1000 years?

4 Likes

I don’t see why they wouldn’t have. At the time hemp was brought to the Western Hemisphere, it was to be used for rope for sailing, and it was mandatory to grow it in many places. Portugal had slaves in Brazil, brought in because the local population was dying off from disease introduced by Europeans , and they needed the workers.
Another good thing to point out, is that Spanish Sailors were not necessarily Spanish, Portuguese Sailors were not necessarily Portuguese and British Sailors were not necessarily British. Sailing Crews died of sickness and disease constantly from being at sea in close quarters with other people. If you had half of the crew that you needed, your next stop you would scoop people up to help man the ships, whether they wanted to or not, resulting in a multi ethnic crew. I would imagine floating at sea for months on end is very boring. A little bit of smoke to pass the time would have been appreciated by everyone. And if I was one of those Sailors 500 years ago, I would have planted seeds wherever we came ashore often enough for me to eventually Harvest something and smoke it. Stoners then are like Stoners now. They like their weed and hate to run out

13 Likes

Nice Malawi. Where was the seed from?

3 Likes

Bring yourself back in time 500 years. You’re heading thousands and thousands of miles across uncharted waters headed to unknown lands. Would you bring seeds?

4 Likes

I love a good bit of speculation, but there is a difference between plausible inference and historical fact.

We have documented and verified historical evidence that the spanish and portuguese were the first to introduce non-native plant species to the new world. these included species from europe, asia, and africa.

Millions of slaves were brought from Africa, and the likelihood that not one of them had some seedy Dagga in his stash seems to me quite unlikely.

this is a nice thought, but the sad historical fact is that the vast majority of slaves had no personal agency of any kind.

There is no concrete historical evidence that african slaves introduced plant species to the new world, however it is very well documented that they cultivated all of the crops that were introduced by the spanish and portuguese that forcibly brought them there as slave laborers.

I think this is really as far as we can go without supposition, inference, or a logical leap of faith.
I’m not saying that any of your additional ideas are implausible, just that I am not willing to speculate beyond the documented facts.

13 Likes

Fair enough. Why African terpenes and spice, and no African Spanish colonies? Hard to explain that one…

5 Likes

Possibly you can find Indicators trough taste of a Strain what happend. I have smoked to few M.Americans, to tell you you are right/or to debunk it.

I tried looking at the pics of outcrosses that i posted. I think i can spot the Hybridness, and it looks pretty much like the best Mexican i seen seems to be further away from recent hybridisation than the Examples i showed.
That doesent proove anything, but on the first glance , in this stage,thats my sentence. Probably further down the selection it would resemble old Mexican, but in this Stage… not shure

I find your grasp for evidence`s interesting by the Way, keep searching!
Also your deep research on History may have given us good clues!

5 Likes

Ok so why is it so hard to believe that people could have selected the most potent “hemp” each year for 10-20-30 years and eventually turned something for .2% THC into something 5% THC? In the last 100 years we’ve taken it from 5-10% and got it to high 20s/low 30s.

This is pure speculation but it’s really not hat far fetched to believe they took regular European hemp and found the few special plants each year and saved those seeds and kept doing that over decades to eventually end up with what is now known as the middle and South American landraces.

It’s also very possible that it was all wide leaf hash plants that just acclimatized over decades. We see how plants can change in different environments over the course of a few years so it’s completely believable that over decades and centuries a wide leaf hash plant would look completely different in its new home.

7 Likes

aahm, thats what i said from the beginning, i said Hemp could adapt and become M. American…
i felt i had to say it yet another time cause someone told like: what does it matter if it was hemp, it will anyway adapt. I never ever told otherwise at all.

4 Likes

Sorry wasn’t sayin it to anyone in general. Just a lot of talk of high THC and low THC strains and what came from where and I just wanted to put what little info I do know out there.

More directed at those that were saying it couldn’t have been from a certain place cause all they have is low THC.

This plant is amazingly adaptable!

3 Likes

Moroccan Landrace is sugested it derivered from Middle Eastern Ganja and Spanish Hemp. It was reported as not the strongest weed. possibly it takes still 100 years to become strong. But would the north African climate allow for becoming strong cultivars anyway?

Mindbending SE Asians are loosely speculated to originated from China or Nepal… Chinese weed is low Thc semi-wild/hemp…

5 Likes

She said Oaseeds.

5 Likes

I’ve been reading Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany by Robert Connel Clarke and Mark d. Merlin, and it shows what they believe to be the path of NLD ( narrow leaf drug) introductions into The Western Hemisphere. Bear in mind that this is what they think at the time of writing and new facts are always coming to light. Cannabis pollen has been discovered in Namibia in Southwest Africa that is nearly 6000 years old, in the Kalahari Desert west of the okavango delta. In Madagascar it’s at least 2,000 years old, Ethiopia in the 1300’s and Mozambique and Zambia in the 1200’s. In Europe pollen samples are up to 10000 years old. Was cannabis here first? Or do we have more archeologists digging in Europe than in remote Africa, and they just havent found the samples yet?
Why does any of this matter you might ask? In breeding, ancestors matter. The ultimate backcross. Incredible outcomes if you find the mother landrace a younger one came from.
Brazilians have recently bred chinese hemp to become potent. On Instagram recently. Ask Condor Cannabis on IG about it. I dont remember ( yes again) where I saw it, but I only followed Condor at the time. But it was Chinese broadleaf hemp, which unlike European hemp( today only?) has the ability to to switch from making one cannabinoid into making thc. I dont know if European hemp was different in that regard in the past, but it did have higher thc levels than today, though evidence says not much more. It would be similar to breeding an almost 100% tropical sativa for CBD production.
I’ve always been the guy bucking the system. Looking at facts and coming to my own conclusions based on common sense. The “experts” say no contact was made between the Western and Eastern Hemispheres until Europeans came along. Typical ethnocentrism.
Hash has been found buried with precolombian mummies, and cocaine has been found in Egyptian mummies. Common sense says there was contact between the two cultures. For me, no other fact is even needed for proof, but there is plenty of other evidence pointing to this fact. So why havent history books been changed? Because highly educated people have a hard time admitting they were wrong. They are too educated to be wrong in their eyes. People spend a small fortune on college and they worry that the prestige of certain ivy league colleges could be damaged if they admit they have been teaching bad info for hundreds of years. Money is a powerful motivator. Reputations are at stake.
It wasn’t long ago that evidence that showed parts of the Amazon were highly manipulated by a massive culture started coming out. Lots of it. I’ve known this for 25 years. How? Common sense and a willingness to have my own thoughts and come to my own conclusions, and reading studies done by non accredited researchers. If facts dont fit nicely in with accepted theories, they are discarded. Remember, Colombus discovered America? Lol. More BS I never believed, and now new evidence has proven me right.
Since I’ve drifted WAAAY off my own topic, here’s a picture of Atlantis from Google earth. Exactly as Plato described.

Google the Eye of the Sahara, or watch Bright Insight on YouTube. The truth is out there. You just have to dig for it.

20 Likes

It’s in Mauritania

5 Likes

A picture from the above named book, showing the introduction of cannabis into the Western Hemisphere.

8 Likes

@romanoweed… Yes, it’s possible that European hemp was selected by natives for higher THC production, and after hundreds of years of such selection, excellent land race stock was developed. If this is indeed true, then Europeans were the ones bringing the hemp, and escaped slaves and natives were the ones responsible for making it psychoactive. Afterwards, new introductions of cannabis further altered the gene pool and increased potency. From what I read, the old European hemp could test as high as 3% THC in rare cases, before THC restrictions occurred

7 Likes

“Hash has been found buried with precolombian mummies, and cocaine has been found in Egyptian mummies. Common sense says there was contact between the two cultures. For me, no other fact is even needed for proof, but there is plenty of other evidence pointing to this fact.”

Are you supposing cocaine in Egyptian mummies has come from the West? That’s a stretch. There are multiple species of Erythroxylaceae in Africa that cocaine could be derived from.

“highly educated people have a hard time admitting they were wrong. They are too educated to be wrong in their eyes”

My opinion, based on my experience is the opposite. Highly educated people don’t suddenly develop gigantic egos because they’ve received an education and rarely consider themselves more knowledgeable than people with experience on the ground. Their education actually make them less certain in a ‘the more you know, the less you know’ kind of way.
You’ll have to forgive me and I mean no offence but to me your assertions are a little general.

If anyone is ever in Mexico City, please go check out the Natural History museum. There is so much interesting stuff in there. I spent a full day and felt I was rushing it. It’s wonderfully presented.

16 Likes

it might my friend I am still looking around

so many seeds so little time :frowning:

should have started growing when I was 5 years old :slight_smile:

I will sure to keep you in the loop for your advice on my choice

can save me heart ache

I grew a land race Thai outside 10 - 15 years ago

the skinniest leaves I have ever seen and if I has about 30 weeks

of flower time here in the North East I am sure it would have finished

some bagseed freebies( had to buy something) from Plural of Mongoose

be safe and enjoy the day

Dequilo

9 Likes

IMO Cannabis was in the Americas’ long before the Spaniards. And what medicine man/shaman/local gardening lady wouldn’t be selecting phenos of every plant they grew, and consumed, for quality, potency, and vigour. Every season, every year, since man started cultivating crops…you guys growing these long flowering landraces don’t get enough credit for trying to preserve the old ways as well as the strains. Kudos’

10 Likes

Im pretty shure this Timeline map was made from pollenanalysis (searching for oldest found pollen in sediment) . But i cant remember. Can someone confirm?

(The pointers might be unevidential, rather illustrative)

9 Likes