The Central American landrace and heirloom thread

And as much joy as we have gotten from that it still took years for us to connect after we knew each other grew. The best vetting is done in person looking each other in the eye. Iā€™ve been on here for a few years now and have seen a lot of bs happen, like it does out here in the world yes but relative anonymity allows for snakes. The one that bites you is the one you donā€™t see. The very first group buy I participated in was stiffed by a member. For no real reason and it apparently came to nothing for the thief. I canā€™t help but think if that individual knew he was identified he wouldnā€™t have done so. Of course it would be nicer if we could expect some degree of ethical behavior in each other from basic human respect but where does that happen? LOL

This is why we canā€™t have nice things. LOL

14 Likes

I would love to see some sort of Landrace Collective emerge. Part of me would love to form a landrace institute to properly preserve all these lines and make it accessible at affordable rates.

You bring up a really good point about vetting in person.

In my experience, finding people with integrity in this society is like bobbing for needles in a haystack :rofl:

The tricky part about that is most people are fair-weather friends or associates, in other words you donā€™t really discover what a person is made of until various adverse events happen or they are presented with a choice that screws you/enriches them.

I suppose iā€™m jaded b.c of past experience.

13 Likes

Thatā€™s a crazy string of pearls. The Oaxaca PS line is full of plants like this one. Some epic smells and tastes. Whatā€™s this one smell like?

5 Likes

Oaxaca Peshawar ( most likely). Cuttings taken. Tonight theyā€™ll likely diešŸ˜Ŗ At 12 feet I canā€™t get them in my room, and obviously if I could, Iā€™d fit nothing else in there.
Something special gets germinated soonā€¦

18 Likes

Iā€™m doing desperate things too. lol

16 Likes

You mean like the Freakers? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

12 Likes

I was gonna say that, lol. Weā€™re always looking for new members.
@GREANDAL that should do. Just gotta make 2 more nights I think. Then a warm up, however brief.

7 Likes

Got a pump house heater in there. I was out there for two hours getting that monster covered. Temp dropped 20Ā° while I did it. Truly motivational.

5 Likes

@GregOG , @GREANDAL, and @US3RNAM3 this is all so encouraging to see being discussed, the idea of a group collective type regenerative agricultural project with significant emphasis and focus on various aspects of cannabis seems totally achievable.

I think the community here at Overgrow touches on a vein of our antiquated past as culture and community. That of a gift economy. Itā€™s observable what can be achieved with the co-ops and other seed increase groups, how bountiful the collective power of many with a shared goal can be. I really enjoy seeing these types of conversations and discussions going on and appreciate the mental stimulation in that regard. Much love

7 Likes

Which does support the value of anonymity, as weā€™re certainly anathema to the seed pimps.

5 Likes

Still has that cedar and pine smell with stem rub. Also can feel ā€œgrit or standā€ along stem and can see resin build up.

My oaxacan x red snake has no more white hairs and is frosty looking would that make her close? Actually seeing amber on buds. Any thoughts?
Is that snow @upstate ?

8 Likes

Donā€™t be afraid to take some early!

4 Likes

Purple Satellite budcicle. Smells cherry and minty fruit delicious. :slight_smile:

32 Likes

Those look frosty like frozen frosty.lol :+1:

6 Likes

Bottle brush of joy! How does it smoke?

6 Likes

Snow buds are always impressive. Those are some hardy plants.

4 Likes

Yeah she looks unhappy but alright today. Fortunately the sun came out for the afternoon so she got some photons. As long as I can keep her turgid sheā€™ll make it a few more days. Sheā€™s grown into the ground with a stalk bigger than my forearm and thereā€™s no way the ground is going to freeze. The other Viet was unphased but it has a real enclosure. Makes one wonder about distant origins. Interesting how some Indians and Nepalese as well as the feral looking Mexicans can handle that kind of cold. High altitude strains rather than coastal and commercial Colombians.

5 Likes

But how many do expect to sell at $300-$500 per 10 anyway? You guarantee this will happen with prices like that.

1 Like

Hehe, not sure. I just cut it down this afternoon. :wink:

2 Likes

I thought maybe youā€™d had one already. LOL

1 Like