The Central American landrace and heirloom thread

Oklahoma is cheap.

8 Likes

If my understanding is correct and you use pollen from one male onto the other reversed male then in theory the offspring should produce 25% females (XX), 50% males (XY), and 25% males (YY).

Sounds like the YY males are more rare with low vigor and there’s no way to know for sure which is which.

Not sure that S1 would be the proper labeling or not. Most use the S1 designation to indicate feminized seeds and these would actually produce regulars with a higher male count. Just as @herbgreen mentions how Gerry from Colorado Sativas creates confusion with his labeling of regular seeds as S1 which I still don’t quite understand.

5 Likes

I think YY is inviable; not sure whether that’ll result in 25/50/25 or 33/67% female/male/inviable, offhand, but from what I’ve read most of the Y chromosome is “junk data.” The inviable seeds might not even form in the first place, or might form but never germinate. That’s a question I’ve never found a definitive answer to, though I assume from the way people advertise triploids that seeds won’t even form… :thinking: Surely we can depend on truth in advertising, right?

6 Likes

@Cormoran thanks for the clarification, everything you just mentioned aligns with what I’ve been reading so far.

3 Likes

I think that Gerry must be remembering S1 as being referred to as ‘selfed’

selfed really means m x f …technically

Its easy to say an S1 is selfed also…thus the confusion

Colorado Sativas does a lot right…thats not exactly wrong…just probably incorrect LOL

Dont think the terms are interchangeable but whatever…

I enjoy what Gerry has going up there! Its All Good…in the neighborhood!

3 Likes

This really great resource from the Overgrow of Old…

Good way to maintain MUMs …and DADs for that matter

I remember reading this…good root control tips

7 Likes

I’ve always understood “selfed” as in self-pollination which is a reversed female that pollinates the same plant or a clone of that same plant. I’ve not seen any use of “selfed” or S1 referring to m + f (aside from Gerry). Any references? Always learning.

For sure!!

7 Likes

Fairly sure S1 is terminology that was made up by cannabis breeders anyway, so at this point it’s kinda fungible what it means… as far as I know CS is the only place that uses it to mean what the rest of the world refers to as F2s, though.

5 Likes

Thanks for making that point. I almost did too. :rofl:

1 Like

The one further back is the punto rojo, it looks like it has a narrower leaf than the three uhkrul in front, but it is just the trick of folding the leaves, the three uhkrul are actually leaves with narrower leaflets than the red dot, it is just their trick, to be able to withstand the summer sun of Santiago de Chile. with dry heat, not humid heat comp is his native Colombia

The middle ukhrul is the possible male, the two extreme ukhruls already sexed are females.
the punto rojo has not yet sexed

25 Likes

A few better picks of seeded Oaxacan! There is a few calyxes splitting so couple more weeks should be good.

23 Likes

It looks like a wicked-ass desert plant. And I’m a guy who likes those. :dark_sunglasses:

4 Likes

My front window good call! That’s only 64 days of flower

6 Likes

Looking good Noob!

4 Likes

I
Thanks I really got to give a shout out to @upstate for holding my hand through the process. Now I have the knowledge of how to properly do myself up next grow out a male and collect pollen. Kinda excited for my next seeds to get wet! (Washington skunk x uncle festers 18) x red devil :exploding_head:

10 Likes

Hola Arbac
I hope you dont mind a few questions, really interesting what you show
Very beautiful plants. Do you have access to Chilombiana, is it still being grown over there?
How are you sexing them, light dep or are they just under the sun? What size of pots are you using for sexing them?
Are you running the Ukhruls from Shiv side by side with the ones from RSC?
How many days your Ukhruls took to show sex since you sprouted them? If under the sun, I would expect your Punto Rojo to show sex in 3 months from now
At this time of the year under the sun I am seeing sexing NL5 x Hz from different sources. NL5 x Hz Mr Nice is all sexed. Haze Nirvana is all sexed. A homemade cross NL5x Hz 91 F3 x Chocolate Thai F5 to my surprise it is sexing too. I was expecting them to show sex a lot later, at least in 45 days from now
But under the sun Ukhrul should take a lot longer.
By the time Punto Rojo just show sex under the sun, all of the Dutch weed under the sun is done
Thanks for showing your plants

5 Likes

Hello funkyhorse
I don’t have access to real Chilombianas.

The plants are under the powerful sun of Santiago.

I was sexing them, increasing the photoperiod with low intensity light for two or three hours a day, then I took away those additional hours and they usually showed no sex.

plants sexed in two liter pots

I have no idea how old the Ukhruls are, or any of my other plants. I germinate in batches, I never germinate all the seeds of a variety together and I am really confused about what it was yesterday, a week ago, a month ago, a year ago or several years ago. I only grow the Ukhrul of Shiv. I comment on RSC from what I have seen in forums and what friends have told me, when I have told them that Uhrul de shiv has thin leaf phenos and wider leaf phenos

the punto rojo, I haven’t sexed them. I have only done it with ukhrul

13 Likes

Wow, Oaxaca…looks perfect @420noob that’s great!

You can see that look with the multi -color in the leaf…that same “crunchiness” you can see in the Flo by djshort that has the old Oaxaca in it…

5 Likes

SWAZI GOLD
Legalise it.

P J

7 Likes

Well… I didn’t have too much hope for that decapitated Guadalajara… But it wants to grow, so there’s still one final chance for pure Guadalajara beans! I had a feeling about this plant when I saved it. You know me and my slow plants… They always end up being keepers. Let’s hope the streak continues!

26 Likes