The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

Beautiful @MissinBissin

3 Likes

Thanks for that @DesertHeartGardens, Sure felt like we were peeing into the breeze all through that Fall grow.

These are tough weeds

30 Likes

Stunning photos!! @MissinBissin

Props to you who pull off outdoor trees

I canā€™t do outdoor here now but I might be moving in the next year or two and make sure I can do it wherever I go leaning towards California where Iā€™m from but itā€™s so expensive lol

9 Likes

Iā€™d say! Much respect!

6 Likes

Whaaaā€¦well done

Smashing plantsā€¦love the natural theme growing outsideā€¦canā€™t beat it.

P J

7 Likes

Iā€™m taking a step from @Tlander next Spring, and using big Air Pots along OG Row here.

The AirPot will have the btm removed at the end of May and when its time for Planting, and we just Bury it 5ā€ deep outside on the prepped Soil
@Tlander

11 Likes

Iā€™m going in and having some 100 gallons this year going for some trees :grin:

13 Likes

Iā€™m already doing exactly that, but Iā€™m no further than f3 yet on anything. F7 for IBL, but f3 is good enough for me to release seed. Others can take to f7šŸ˜.
@GregOG I havenā€™t gotten that far with landraces yet, but Iā€™ve breed my own strains very similar sometimes. Fix a favorite trait, then mix it with a previous generation.
@MissinBissin no disguising that one! Nice farmer to leave it.
@DesertHeartGardens Iā€™m looking forward to the show.

13 Likes

We laughed the first year of growing there.

There were some Raised OK symbols and Thumbs-up from the driver of the Tractor when he Noticed the 6 Flower-beds at the fieldā€™s edge !

OG Row features 7 beds 2024;
Red GSC
Nefertiti
DragonBloodHashPlant
Apollo Ape
Durban Poison
Crippy xmas (special)
Chem Fuego
Hawaiian Snow x Tent
(I know, there are 8 listed)

19 Likes

I want to spread good genetics, and get some new folks growing in more sustainable ways. If they give me credit for the strains I have crafted (at no small expense), great! If not, My original mission is getting fulfilled. For example I do buy or obtain the oldest strains on the planet and try mixing them up with newer phenos to see if they smoke and act like I predict.

Occasionally magic happens (got lucky or 45 years of experience) like my newest Powie strian. Or, what do I do with these Soulmate from bodhi seeds x Baja Blast from Mosca seeds. I wanted that warm chest heat from soulmate coupled with the Pink 2.0 bcd from Baja Blast.

So, if I listen to one camp, noone gets them but me, or I risk pissing off Mosca and Bodhi seeds. But what if it is really good pain releif, giving it to a bunch of old growers is only going to get it so far. On the otherhand if I put them on my seed page, Iā€™m a clueless sellout.

The later is in line with a strategy to get the strians out so is what I have been doing, but I listen to OG, soā€¦

14 Likes

In Central Cali, we used to drop those bigass trees into the ground at an angle about ten feet apart and make shrubbery. That way every side branch thinks sheā€™s the star of the show and creates additional ā€œtopsā€ They are much less harrassed by wind and easier to keep trimmed without a ladder. Plus it looks cool as a row of shrubbery.

12 Likes

Bad news with the new Mexi. Both Oaxaca are males. All 4 Guadalajara are males, leaving only stumpy, at a whopping one inch tall. Iā€™ll see if I can nurse it to lifeā€¦
4 of 5 Chiapas are male, one female. These things have doubled in height over the last three days. One of them went from six or seven inches tall to about fourteen or fifteen inches, in just three days. Not looking like an indica anymore all of a sudden. I meant to get photos last nightā€¦ Maybe tonight.
Iā€™ll keep some Guadalajara males and the Oaxaca males for now, in hopes of finding more seed. May have to reverse a male in each of the two lines. New territory for me. Anyone have the supplies and no how?

17 Likes

I have never reversed a male. That is on my list of things to learn though. Good luck.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve read about ethephon being used to do this but have not tried it myself yet. Thereā€™s a product by Monterey that is called Florel that can be used. Not sure offhand about the proper steps and dosage but thereā€™s an ICM thread Iā€™d have to dig through to see if itā€™s outlined somewhere.

Edit: Here is a study done with this method

6 Likes

I would just keep the males in vegā€¦Until you can get a female in there you want in the mix

Dont do thatā€¦ dont reverse a male

Why not use Silversides?

3 Likes

Any particular reason? Why not leave the males in veg but take a cutting and experiment?

4 Likes

Yeah, that is a bit of an experiment

Females and males can reverse ā€¦I personally wouldnt mess with it

Better to have a known femaleā€¦or just more seeds hopefully if thats all you hadā€¦?

Just chiming in my 2centsā€¦carry on :smile:

3 Likes

Definitely agree having a true female would be best case. Reversing males seems to just be another tool for breeders to evaluate some of the males otherwise hidden traits. I personally wouldnā€™t smoke them but always love a good experiment.

5 Likes

If there was a way to reverse a male and safely smoke its flowers, that would be a game-changer. Though you can still get the flowers tested, I guess.

3 Likes

So I pollenated Oaxacan gold at week 3 12/12 at week 9 today would you say 3 weeks minium?

15 Likes