The gathering of the magic stoners...Any Overgrowers play MTG?

I’ve played off an on for years. Still have most of my old collection packed away. Wish I had more time to keep up with it these days. I loved drafting at the local store, pre-release sealed, and kitchen table commander. Been thinking of picking up the online version again.

2 Likes

I had to go help my daughter with a flat tire right after i snapped that picture of me opening packs. Did not feel like popping anymore after that. So i only opened like maybe 6-8 out of 36. All the basic lands i have gotten so far are borderless full art cards. This set seems to be very artifact heavy im noticing.

1 Like

Heres the new basic lands.

And here is one of the mythic rares i have found tonight. This format seems to be all about filling your graveyard with permanents for synergies and buffs.

2 Likes

There is a lot of cards that get buffed from sacrificing artifacts and creatures. And lots of cards that create artifacts and creatures.

2 Likes

Oooh those are some neat lands! Definitely different from the last time I was playing :face_with_monocle:

I’m pretty sure there’s some edh decks among other’s centered around that Saheeli !

1 Like

Contrary to what i stated before. The lands are not borderless. They are full art though. That saheeli will definitely end up in a sacrifice deck. I can copy creatures and artifacts just to sacrifice them.

1 Like

Another mythic. The descend mechanic is pretty neat. Another mechanic that needs permanents in the graveyard.

3 Likes

I have been a “Magic Stoner” for 43 years but I dont have a clue about what this game is. 🥸

Sealed deck action

3 Likes

Ive been playing arena a lot here lately. Any OG members play arena? We could friend up on Arena and play some matches…

1 Like

I play commander pretty much exclusively because I sold my collection years ago and don’t feel like building back to it. I buy precon decks and have several people in my life that play so we get to it. One of my favorites is my son and I blaze up then play for a couple hours. Tons of fun.

I don’t play on arena. I’d have to build an account, but I’m not opposed when I’m not on the road for work.

2 Likes

I just grabbed a precon commamder deck myself. Its from the recent karlov manor set. Cant remember the name. Im not at home now. Its blue and black and has disguise in the name if im not mistaken. Havent had a chance to play it yet.

1 Like

Nice! My last deck purchase was the dr who decks. I got the white black red 10th Dr and the blue black red dalek deck. The 10th Dr is just playing solitaire with othe people at the table. The daleks are hit an miss but when it pops it gets crazy fast.

1 Like

This card from the new set is killer for my red white aggro deck

1 Like

Back when I had time for games, I loved magic, it was great but I don’t think I’d like it anymore. Its unfortunate

1 Like

Played a ton as a kid, got back into it HEAVY as an adult. Buddy I met in my 20s (fellow stoner) rediscovered his old cards, asked if I ever played and that was it. We were both hooked, played really competetively from m15 to about the first Ixalan. Some of the most fun times of my whole life.

I never got into Commander for the same reason I mever got into DND. No offense, but I’m not trying to play nerd improv; I’m trying to have a fuckin math contest on probability and risk analysis. Draft, sealed, modern, standard. From pre-releases to comic book store short 6person drafts to Grand Prixs…loved competetive Magic. Was never fantastic, but had some good runs. My buddy and partner (we ended up sharing a collection for efficiency) was the better player and had some killer runs and amazing games against great top level players.

Ultimately I lost the fire. The bans/trouble managing the standard format was the first factor, but at the end of the day I was ready for a break and had slowed down a ton. Covid was horrible for the game, at least from a competetive standpoint, as the parent company lost focus and got into weird mashups and brand collabos in an attempt to capitalize on collectable-crazy-covid and people spending extra disposable income on hobbies. they did ‘doctor who’ cards FFS.

I have been playing marvel snap lately but have been considering popping back into MTG. In many ways it’s the greatest game ever conceived; a game about two economies. The economy of the cards, better cards in play are worth more in trading. The economy of the cards; more powerful spells cost more mana in play.

1 Like