The gathering of the magic stoners...Any Overgrowers play MTG?

Hey yall,
I just got back into Magic The Gathering after a long hiatus. Picked up a draft booster box of the newest set. And, will be grabbing a box of the next set that is released in February. Hoping there is some MTG players here that would enjoy discussing all things MTG. Im going to be playing standard for sure. I would like to get into Commander if i can talk my local buddies into trying it out. I also plan to do some small draft style gaming when every new set comes out. I have a crew of 4 people so far locally. So, lets discuss MTG. And, if your in the central Ohio area maybe we can arrange a MTG stoners meet up or something.

13 Likes

I haven’t played any MtG since 1998!

4 Likes

Played a lot back in high school (92-96) and then picked it up again a few years back when my kids got into it. Play off and on, and mainly use MTG: Game Night which is a 5 deck set that is great for getting people into it as each deck is balanced and therefore you avoid blowouts.

5 Likes

I use to play that. I started in 3rd edition and stopped after the Ice Age expansion. Sold my collection for a pretty penny. Kinda wish I didn’t but I needed the money. I spent THOUSANDS on that game. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

My older brother had a first printing of black lotus when were kids. Im pretty sure post malone just paid something in the ballpark of 100,000 for one of those.

5 Likes

I had a complete set of 3rd edition and 90+% complete set of 4th edition. When I sold everything in early 2010 I got a little over $15k for it. Probably the ONLY thing I owned as a kid that appreciated in value. :rofl:

3 Likes

Cracken some packs. I will post any badass cards i find.

6 Likes

it’s been a while, but it would be nice to crack open the zombie deck again.

4 Likes

Any cube/draft enjoyers?

If someone has the time I used to play mtg online using a program called cockatrice I don’t know if it’s around still but for those that are interested that is a potential free way to play while having access to the entire card list

4 Likes

I had to stop lol, the dopamine addiction when pulling something good costed me too much lol

3 Likes

Are you a grimgrin enjoyer? Or a geralf type of person or shit Lilly even lol

2 Likes

Man, don’t even get me started :joy:

I’ve played off and on since Beta. I started collecting/playing with Unlimited and Antiquities. Had most of the sets up through 5th edition/Urza’s and then lost all of them in a move :sob: Did the original MTG Online for awhile and most all the pc games after that until 2008 or so and found some local friends that played. Started collecting/playing again around Shards and went up through Amonkhet but ended up having a freak flash flood and I lost at least half of my mythics and rares. Can you see there’s a pattern here? :joy::cry: Pretty much killed my drive to play after that. Couldn’t bring myself to get rid of the rest of the cards though. Selling is such a pain.

Commander is probably my favorite format! You should definitely check it out if you can get some friends to play with or a local shop. Usually the local card shops host a MTG night once a week and do drafts/commander/standard tournaments.

Standard is a lot of fun too! I just found it a bit more demanding with having to get the newest sets and staying competitive with them, especially if you do the shop thing. I also wasn’t a fan of being so limited on the cards you can use. I much prefer Modern in that regard, but if you don’t have a big library it can also be a bit daunting. I get it either way :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You find anything good in there yet? :eyes:
They still doing the full-art lands these days?

6 Likes

Cockatrice is still around lol
I totally forgot about that until you said something. I think I still have some decks saved too :thinking:
Don’t have the time right now tho :confused:

2 Likes

Edh and drafting are the funnest formats, standard is money pit lol just like the game itself, but because I started back in the avacyn days I mostly did modern love that format.

2 Likes

Hell yeah! I’m gonna have to check it out when I get home

2 Likes

:100: It’s an investment for sure :joy:
My favorites are definitely EDH and drafting. Sealed. Cube. ugh. making me wanna play again!

3 Likes

Dude the fucking cube lists people come up with are incredible especially when you can play for free on cockatrice!

2 Likes

idk. my zombie deck is made of stuff from 4th to legion. it may have mirroden or kamigawa, but probably not much.

i played again from like 2014 to 2018 or so. it was cool. i do have online accounts on both systems, old and new.

2 Likes

Yeah those are all modern sets avacyn, origins, and a commander precon

2 Likes

I’ve a bunch of Ice Age cards, and some oldies. But kids grow too fast, i play rarely now.
I love to play it (and chess) totally baked ^^

5 Likes