Tissue culture instead of mother plants

You’d be pretty fragile if you lived in a tube for months. You can remove the gel media and rinse it off just be gentle about it.

There is a hardening off process that requires very high humidity for a couple of weeks until it can handle a normal growing climate

4 Likes

Well, I don’t have a full-blown lab so I suppose the answer would be yes. I do have ~$5k in equipment including a 24"x24" HEPA flow box that I made.

3 Likes

Ok, what’s realistic minimum equipment though?

1 Like

A tote, vessels, hormones, gel, scalpel, lighter, a microwave, ph paper, vinegar, baking soda, lots of lysol and ISO, etc. and a lot of luck

Expect to go through A LOT of supplies doing R&D to figure out which hormone combos work for varying strains. I would begin with glass vessels so that you can re-use them

5 Likes

I know you said glass so they can be reused… But what about the autoclave safe 50ml 27x115mm centrifuge vials?

I personally use 25mm x 150mm tubes like these just keep in mind that the vented caps are a separate item.

Some beginners like the poly flip-tops but once a little gas is generated they pop open if they are not wrapped shut. I never really liked them.

Now that I do bulk I have moved on to deli tubs.

2 Likes

I beleive that these fit on baby food jars. I know trhat Magenta B do 100% positive.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here.

Basal media optimization for the micropropagation and callogenesis of Cannabis sativa L.:

3 Likes

Sorry I know I’m pretty much skippin to the end after reading the first few posts. But…
I love the science and purity behind tissue cultures. I see the benefits when it comes to shipping, commercial production of a cultivar, and preserving a strain. But for practicality, once you get that first set of tissue cultures rooted, wouldn’t bonsai mothers and cuttings be simpler and faster? why continue to spend the time making new tissue cultures, when you can have a mother grown from that virus and pest free culture, and produce cuttings that will root and be ready to grow and bloom in a shorter time.

1 Like

Ok, lets talk a typical scenario… Right now in my cabinet, there’s a group of fresh popped seeds. Now none are feminized, so we’ve got no way to know which are boys/girls.

Take a cutting of each, into culture, into storage do it right, no PM, no FG, no spider mites. Clean samples. it’s alive and available when I need it - yes currently we’d do that by taking clones. But a group of test-tubes definitely takes up less space than a bonsai mom.

Toss or keep the males as they show, so you could restart at the more appropriate time for a breeding cycle.

None of it’s terribly different than taking clones - just space and maintenance requirements are lower… Risk of pests are lower as well due to drastically reduced available ‘media’ for the pests to feed on.

4 Likes

Ah, that maintenance/storage part makes more sense. Having dozens of them ready to be stimulated to root at any given time, but otherwise almost in stasis.

2 Likes

Now i’m really curious how the canadian government/rcmp would handle TC speciments under the 4 plant rule… I mean you could argue that they’re not really plants if they’re small enough.

resurch required. lol

2 Likes

So my though of these as kind of controlled growth stasis and the thread on keeping cuttings in stasis… is there a blend of gel that would keep a normal sized cutting fresh and “in stasis” for a good period before taking them out to root like normal? Good way to ship cuttings vs rooted clones.

1 Like

that is indeed a good question

because as a cell mass in a beaker/test tube/flask that is

being agitated/kept in motion

your cell mass will stay a cell mass

so no plant count. until you grow them into plantlets

all the best

Dequilo

2 Likes

Honestly, there is really no reason that you wouldn’t use these although they may not have great gas exchange. I saw a picture posted the other day where someone was putting meristems into 1ml Eppendorf centrifuge tubes. I don’t want to discourage you from using whatever is easiest for you!

Space is the primary selling point other than certified clean clones and mass propagation at scale.

Here is a hypothetical example. :wink:

A cultivator was about to get their CO and has 10 flowering rooms and half-ass nursery space. They call and consider hiring me to build out a lab but have little to no lab space due to poor planning. I offer to make it work until the space issues resolve but they go radio silent. When full production hits and they have to cough up one of their 10 flowering rooms for moms and vegging. (!!!)

They just gave up 10 fucking percent of their flower production right off the top! Homies could have bought another building and pimped out a lab for that cost.

That is a huge hit!

7 Likes

The use case I would be interested in is expanded pheno hunting. If you could keep all the potential pheno’s in TC while you were able to test and compare them instead of actually having to keep clones or a mother plant that would be a pretty big space saver.

3 Likes

Just buy your agar at a Chinese store for 2 bucks.

It’s more complicated than just buy Seaweed Agar to make the proper Culture for Tissue Cultures.

3 Likes

Telephone brand works fine for fungus but we aren’t working with fungus here.